Subscription cost increase

doobes
Answers: 1

Subscription cost increase

Unread post by doobes »

So I guess I haven't been paying much attention.

I got my annual subscription invoice from MLC CAD and was rather shocked to see it was $1695.

That's a pretty substantial increase from the $1295 that is been for years. Some 23.5% higher :evil:

As I've recently retired and my employer is no longer covering the cost, it's not likely I'll accept their magnanimous offer.

But wowsers.
chris
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Subscription cost increase

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Eeek, I haven't seen the tab but I'd be gasping at a 25% increase.
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

Check to see what the new subscription includes. Most likely they added several new tools and services to justify the price increase.
I am not saying that this will make you change your mind, but I hope they did not increase the price without offering extra benefits.
dave.laban
Answers: 4

Unread post by dave.laban »

That number lines up with the quote I got for subscription pricing including the new "SW Cloud Services" that was meant to only affect new customers, not renewing existing subscriptions.

Though as I rather pointedly highlighted to my VAR back in July last year, the wording in the email was "current licenses on subscription will not be impacted at this time"...which just meant they would be affected at some point in the future instead.
RichGergely
Answers: 0

Unread post by RichGergely »

Sure does sound like the cloud services were dumped on as well.

If not it may be time to change VAR. I'm on my third VAR in 14 years.
Arthur NY

Unread post by Arthur NY »

Alin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:16 am Check to see what the new subscription includes. Most likely they added several new tools and services to justify the price increase.
I am not saying that this will make you change your mind, but I hope they did not increase the price without offering extra benefits.
There will never be enough "new features" to ever justify a 23% increase. Even when Solidworks added Multibodies in a Part file, and that was a HUGE deal, it would not have been worth the price increase.

That they are forcing all new purchase licenses that they have get 3 years maint. That's just not in the vein of where Solidworks started, for engineers by engineers. That's just corporate tactics that are VERY much like how PTC was back in the day.
AlexLachance

Arthur NY wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:28 pm There will never be enough "new features" to ever justify a 23% increase. Even when Solidworks added Multibodies in a Part file, and that was a HUGE deal, it would not have been worth the price increase.

That they are forcing all new purchase licenses that they have get 3 years maint. That's just not in the vein of where Solidworks started, for engineers by engineers. That's just corporate tactics that are VERY much like how PTC was back in the day.
New features aren't a justification for an increase or else we'd be deserving of rebates every other year. I agree with you, these corporate tactics are disgusting.
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

We just got our invoice to renew and the Solidworks licenses all have a 25% increase. It was 15% last year as well. All of this is ridiculous. Our renewal cost is twice what it was 7 or 8 or so years ago...
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Alin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:16 am Check to see what the new subscription includes. Most likely they added several new tools and services to justify the price increase.
Alin, Looks like it includes access to the 3DX platform, but very limited to no roles included. Those are extra. The only people excited about the announcement of the addition (forced) to the desktop subscription at Experience World last year were the DSS and SW execs.
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:58 pm Alin, Looks like it includes access to the 3DX platform, but very limited to no roles included. Those are extra. The only people excited about the announcement of the addition (forced) to the desktop subscription at Experience World last year were the DSS and SW execs.
I like the new share with markup functionality:

I hope more announcements will be made in Dallas. For example, I would like to see xShape made available to all Surfacing users as part of their regular subscription, at no extra cost. Maybe I am dreaming, but that would be sweet!
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

3DX is another component I will uncheck from our admin image. the last thing we want is our users sharing company data on a unauthorized cloud with does not conforn to our sec policy
RichGergely

Alin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:15 pm I like the new share with markup functionality:

I hope more announcements will be made in Dallas. For example, I would like to see xShape made available to all Surfacing users as part of their regular subscription, at no extra cost. Maybe I am dreaming, but that would be sweet!
Means getting everyone off PowerPoint which a none CAD user can view and use without any need for SoildWorks.

As far as xShape goes, those functions would suit the vast majority if they were inside SolidWorks.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Alin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:15 pm I like the new share with markup functionality:

3D Noodles are back! ><
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Arthur NY

Alin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:15 pm
It is 100% insane that a user would have to use a whole new platform to get SubD functionality when ALL other platforms have it built into it's core. That it is separate platform that users have to now incorporate into their already cluttered workflow creates an additional headache that makes NO sense. DDS is just doing this the entire wrong way by having the Dog tail wag the Elephant!!!!
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

Arthur NY wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:29 pm It is 100% insane that a user would have to use a whole new platform to get SubD functionality when ALL other platforms have it built into it's core.
I would also love to have SubD brought back inside SW! Like the nPower add-in, only better.
Arthur NY

Alin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:43 pm I would also love to have SubD brought back inside SW! Like the nPower add-in, only better.
xSurface doesn't even come close to nPower in terms of capability. I've spoken with the PM about the need to step outside of the CAD lane and start looking around the SubD modeling world because there's a lot to be desired. nPower is about the best we get natively.
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

Arthur NY wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:30 pm xSurface doesn't even come close to nPower in terms of capability. I've spoken with the PM about the need to step outside of the CAD lane and start looking around the SubD modeling world because there's a lot to be desired. nPower is about the best we get natively.
That is the add-in SW should buy and integrate.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Alin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:04 pm That is the add-in SW should buy and integrate.
Agreed but not likely. I'm sure the upper management would see it competing and preventing people from going to 3dx. If I were them, I'd be concerned that they lose customers to competitors.
Jason
Arthur NY

Alin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:04 pm That is the add-in SW should buy and integrate.
That was discussed with Integrityware a long time ago and because what they offer as a company extends well beyond just DDS software boarders and that was a no go for them. It would basically instantly add as aspect that would be helpful not just with SubD modeling but also working with mesh data that, right now, is has progressed about as slow as a snail in outer space!!!
RichGergely

Alin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:43 pm I would also love to have SubD brought back inside SW! Like the nPower add-in, only better.
I think it was last year when I put forward SubD in SolidWorks for the top ten and it got kicked out and no voting was allowed on it. Ridiculous excuse it was already implemented :roll:
doobes

Unread post by doobes »

LOL!

So I got this from my VAR this morning:

"My name is XXXXX with XXXXX and SOLIDWORKS. We currently provide your SOLIDWORKS support. I work alongside your territory sales rep – XXXXXX

We are increasing the value of your subscription by pairing our customer success plans with SOLIDPROFESSOR. There will also be a price change.

This helps us give you:

Access to on-demand training and continual learning
Training credit ($500)
Consulting session (2 hours)
3D printing voucher (20% off up to 500$)
Services discount (20% off)

I would love to have a quick 10 min. teams call to show you all what we are adding and how it benefits you.

Let me know when the best time would be to have a quick demo of SOLIDPROFESSOR and discuss why this is going to add value and be an overall positive change.

I look forward to hearing back from you.
"

This was my response:

"Good morning XXXXX,

This is not aimed at you personally, but LOL! Good luck with that.

A 25% increase for subscription/support that was a major fail last year is rich. XXXXXX's attempting to add value to this increase is appreciated in light of the cost increase is laudable, but I've been a SolidWorks user since '96 and my need for training, consulting, etc is non-existent. I'm a SWCP by the way.

Typically I have no need for support, but last year, I submitted 4 support requests. The only one that was successful was a login issue with the new and improved(?) SolidWorks website. And even that was after your support staff tried to slope shoulder the problem back onto me telling me to call corporate. Needless to say that suggestion was met with a sound "No, that's what I'm paying you for". The other three died on the vine. Eventually one of the issues was resolved by my own research, the other two are unresolved....

In any event, as of May last year, I'm officially retired. In years past, my employer ponied up for the subscription services in support of our customer who was heavily SolidWorks centric.

Now support costs would be potentially coming out of a fixed income. The thought of paying the original $1295 out of that fixed income was painful, but the thought of paying the now $1699.75 tariff is excruciating, particularly in light of the less than stellar support received last year. Additionally, I have no use for the cloud based capability that SolidWorks/Dassault is currently pushing. Not now, not ever.

I think it's safe to say that, unless there is a SUBSTANTIAL discount offered on support, I will not be taking advantage of the "increased value" of SOLIDWORKS support
."

So, I'll be "free-lancing" here at the end of February.

I can only hope there is a decent SP of Swx 2024 released by then. If not I'll be staying with v2023 SP5!

Yippie ki yay ......
chris
AlexLachance

doobes wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:40 am LOL!

So I got this from my VAR this morning:

"My name is XXXXX with XXXXX and SOLIDWORKS. We currently provide your SOLIDWORKS support. I work alongside your territory sales rep – XXXXXX

We are increasing the value of your subscription by pairing our customer success plans with SOLIDPROFESSOR. There will also be a price change.

This helps us give you:

Access to on-demand training and continual learning
Training credit ($500)
Consulting session (2 hours)
3D printing voucher (20% off up to 500$)
Services discount (20% off)

I would love to have a quick 10 min. teams call to show you all what we are adding and how it benefits you.

Let me know when the best time would be to have a quick demo of SOLIDPROFESSOR and discuss why this is going to add value and be an overall positive change.

I look forward to hearing back from you.
"

This was my response:

"Good morning XXXXX,

This is not aimed at you personally, but LOL! Good luck with that.

A 25% increase for subscription/support that was a major fail last year is rich. XXXXXX's attempting to add value to this increase is appreciated in light of the cost increase is laudable, but I've been a SolidWorks user since '96 and my need for training, consulting, etc is non-existent. I'm a SWCP by the way.

Typically I have no need for support, but last year, I submitted 4 support requests. The only one that was successful was a login issue with the new and improved(?) SolidWorks website. And even that was after your support staff tried to slope shoulder the problem back onto me telling me to call corporate. Needless to say that suggestion was met with a sound "No, that's what I'm paying you for". The other three died on the vine. Eventually one of the issues was resolved by my own research, the other two are unresolved....

In any event, as of May last year, I'm officially retired. In years past, my employer ponied up for the subscription services in support of our customer who was heavily SolidWorks centric.

Now support costs would be potentially coming out of a fixed income. The thought of paying the original $1295 out of that fixed income was painful, but the thought of paying the now $1699.75 tariff is excruciating, particularly in light of the less than stellar support received last year. Additionally, I have no use for the cloud based capability that SolidWorks/Dassault is currently pushing. Not now, not ever.

I think it's safe to say that, unless there is a SUBSTANTIAL discount offered on support, I will not be taking advantage of the "increased value" of SOLIDWORKS support
."

So, I'll be "free-lancing" here at the end of February.

I can only hope there is a decent SP of Swx 2024 released by then. If not I'll be staying with v2023 SP5!

Yippie ki yay ......
They'll send you an apologetic offer that is still way beyond costs but that will most likely be 100-200$ knocked down of the original price, to try and keep you around. I'm being very generous with the 100-200$ discount off of the original price.
doobes

Unread post by doobes »

Yeah, I got a very loosely worded response about lower cost without any of the "added features"...

Curious to see what lower cost means.
chris
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

mp3-250 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:41 pm 3DX is another component I will uncheck from our admin image. the last thing we want is our users sharing company data on a unauthorized cloud with does not conforn to our sec policy
And is also not ITAR compliant.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
doobes

Unread post by doobes »

So,

I got an e-mail saying that they had been approved to offer me "legacy" pricing of $1,295.

Whoop.... whoop....

As a co-worker of mine was wont to say "I'm poopin' in high cotton"...

About all I can say is this is better than nothing, but still not gonna happen.

I was talking about it with the LOML and she asked, "Well how much is it". I told her $1295.

She said, that's fine go ahead. At which point I said "One Thousand Two Hundred and ninety-five."

To which she replied "holy crap!"
chris
AlexLachance

doobes wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:50 am So,

I got an e-mail saying that they had been approved to offer me "legacy" pricing of $1,295.

Whoop.... whoop....

As a co-worker of mine was wont to say "I'm poopin' in high cotton"...

About all I can say is this is better than nothing, but still not gonna happen.

I was talking about it with the LOML and she asked, "Well how much is it". I told her $1295.

She said, that's fine go ahead. At which point I said "One Thousand Two Hundred and ninety-five."

To which she replied "holy crap!"
See, I was pretty close :lol:
doobes

Unread post by doobes »

So I sent my var this message:

Thanks for the proposal.

Unfortunately this is still far beyond what we (my wife and I) can justify as retirees on a fixed income.

So, at this juncture, we're just going to let the subscription lapse.

C'est la vie...

And as you might expect, the silence was deafening.

Yippee Ki-Yay..........
chris
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

As an FYI, When Solidworks made a hash of the deal they made with EAA members that had been making use of the benefit pointed out their displeasure with what Solidworks did. The EAA does try to listen to their members, combined with Siemen's willingness to swoop in and "save the day" for some good PR, we now have Solid Edge for EAA members. Unlike Solidworks hoop jumping to get to download and keeping the license at the end of a scavenger hunt, Solid Edge is keeping it simple.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/ ... solid-edge

Also, from some of the eaaforums it sounds like the Solid Edge is for several years, even some comments about can keep that version forever? Don't quote me on that, I didn't read all the details myself. I've been an EAA member for a while but haven't made time to download and install Solid Edge at home. However, if I ever have time for that kind of tinkering at home I'm pretty sure I would make use of it.

https://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?10 ... idEdge-CAD

I don't mean to use this cadforum thread to promote EAA, just sharing that it may be an affordable option. As Alex mentions On Shape also appears to have low cost/freeish options as well. I'm just adding this to the list.
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:15 am Also, from some of the eaaforums it sounds like the Solid Edge is for several years, even some comments about can keep that version forever? Don't quote me on that, I didn't read all the details myself. I've been an EAA member for a while but haven't made time to download and install Solid Edge at home. However, if I ever have time for that kind of tinkering at home I'm pretty sure I would make use of it.
Is that a different version from the Community Edition. I have SE Community Edition 2022 installed. Show about another year before it expires.
image.png
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:25 am Is that a different version from the Community Edition. I have SE Community Edition 2022 installed. Show about another year before it expires.

image.png
To be honest, I didn't look close enough to know for sure. Maybe crude, but I've learned to not try to keep up with what each version can do with the various systems because by the time I need it my understanding is obsolete. Research in anything software has become like quotes; only valid for 30 days. Digressing, but too many blogs do not contain publish date or location in the header like the old "proper" periodicals did, just have the name.
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:47 am Research in anything software has become like quotes; only valid for 30 days. Digressing, but too many blogs do not contain publish date or location in the header like the old "proper" periodicals did, just have the name.
That drives me nuts these days. Seems to be a tactic to make their article not seem too out of date on the surface.
Jason
doobes

Unread post by doobes »

bnemec wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:15 am As an FYI, When Solidworks made a hash of the deal they made with EAA members that had been making use of the benefit pointed out their displeasure with what Solidworks did. The EAA does try to listen to their members, combined with Siemen's willingness to swoop in and "save the day" for some good PR, we now have Solid Edge for EAA members. Unlike Solidworks hoop jumping to get to download and keeping the license at the end of a scavenger hunt, Solid Edge is keeping it simple.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/ ... solid-edge

Also, from some of the eaaforums it sounds like the Solid Edge is for several years, even some comments about can keep that version forever? Don't quote me on that, I didn't read all the details myself. I've been an EAA member for a while but haven't made time to download and install Solid Edge at home. However, if I ever have time for that kind of tinkering at home I'm pretty sure I would make use of it.

https://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?10 ... idEdge-CAD

I don't mean to use this cadforum thread to promote EAA, just sharing that it may be an affordable option. As Alex mentions On Shape also appears to have low cost/freeish options as well. I'm just adding this to the list.
Yea,

I was kinda thinking the EAA thing was my retirement option, until SWx buggered it up. Unfortunate.
chris