Revolutionary Enhancement: 2D Drawing View to MBD 3D View

Alin
Answers: 3

Revolutionary Enhancement: 2D Drawing View to MBD 3D View

Unread post by Alin »

Update: watch this video for more details

Are you ready for one more revolutionary idea? What about an automatic conversion of 2D Drawings into MBD 3D Views?

Vote for it using this link: https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... C9-h8xt8cQ

A standard SOLIDWORKS drawing has each view listed in the FeatureManager Tree. Each view contains annotations and dimensions attached to the drawing lines or vertices. Each drawing line corresponds to a model edge. So, all the information is there, neatly organized.
Currently we can automatically push information from the model annotation views into drawing views (especially very easy with 3D Views).
With the push towards MBD, we should be able to:

1. Select several drawing views in a drawing
2. Push a button
3. Have each drawing view generate a new 3D View in the referenced model

Implementing this idea will be revolutionary for dropping all barriers between existing 2D Drawings and MBD!!!

No more wasting time duplicating work for the zillion drawings we already have in our database. Just push a button and enrich the models with MBD annotations nicely organized in 3D Views and Annotation views.

This could be also automated with Task Scheduler to create overnight a Vault filled with MBD models.

I stress that these models will not be in any way slower to use than the original ones. Annotation Views and 3D Views are very light.
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Re: Revolutionary Enhancement: 2D Drawing View to MBD 3D View

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I thought MDB point was to avoid 2d data at all.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

So... what will be your "source of truth" in this case? You have both 2D Drawingview and MBD 3D view... (Not to mention how the conversion handle some not so standard feature like virtual point, broken out section, section, etc)
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

The source of truth remains the model. I will explain in a video, once I find the time to record it.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Sounds cool but I'm a bit skeptical like others. I'll be waiting for the video demonstration.
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

mp3-250 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:05 am I thought MDB point was to avoid 2d data at all.
The drawing is simply pushing back in the model Annotation Views (if the users needs that). Those dimensions are parametrically linked to the model, so when the model changes, they change. The drawing functionality stays the same (when the model changes, the drawing updates).
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

@Alin my concern was about the man hours the 3d process is pushing on engineers.
at the end of the day legacy 2d is a standardized way to simply convey information.

for a process like machinery frame manual welding is still paper based as automation lacks numbers and "poor shops" are the way to go. hence legacy 2d is still preferred to a difficult to make mdb, less clear mdb.

I say less clear, because paper (and likely paper books) allow to look at multiple view and pages on paper at the same time.
without zoom or going back and forth from 3d views on the production floor with a piece of paper in the hand of a welder.
NC machining has a different approach and it could be drawing less and even MDB less (me 10 yrs ago making mold design)

also for a full mdb "experience" an additional license is required, so more money in the bucket.

At this point I prefere to study how to automate drawing dimensioning than mdb. model item and hole wizard help, but still require a lot of work.
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

Looks like I keep failing in explaining the benefits of the idea. Let me answer your points:
mp3-250 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:54 pm @Alin my concern was about the man hours the 3d process is pushing on engineers.
This functionality will use the dimensions and annotations in the existing drawings. Press a button, and each selected drawing view generates a 3D View in the model. Instant PMI insertion with zero training required in how SW MBD works.
mp3-250 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:54 pm also for a full mdb "experience" an additional license is required, so more money in the bucket.
This functionality should be implemented in the Standard version of SOLIDWORKS. No extra license required. No access to the platform required.

Other comments? Let's keep the brainstorming ongoing. UU

Update: I hope you do not mind that I copied your concerns and my answers in a comment attached to the idea in the platform.