How to deploy a patched admIn Image

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
mp3-250
Answers: 18

How to deploy a patched admIn Image

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I am looking for a way to make a compressed administrative image replacing the two NameSpace.dll in the PDM client so that my image is already hotfixed when installed.

The hotfix is SWPDM2023SP05_HF1181214_Hotfix and it includes a batch file and the two dlls (32 and 64 bit).

I do not want to run the batch file during the install as I have other batches already running and I do not plan to integrate SW batch in my scripts.

I tried to repackage the cab file for PDM client, but I run into a error during the deployment, probably the installer checks the crc of those dll and fails. Not sure.
JSculley
Answers: 53

Re: How to deploy a patched admIn Image

Unread post by JSculley »

How did you repackage the .cab file?
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

JSculley wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:46 am How did you repackage the .cab file?
from command prompt with "expand" and "makecab" command.

I have packaged the old dll file with a .bak fake extension as well, so the file count is altered, but the original installer has some additional files along with the cab that looks like a file list with hashes. I should have to try the installer pdm installer alone to see if some additional error is shown, but it would be nice to know how those installers work.
JSculley
Answers: 53

Unread post by JSculley »

Since you mentioned CAB files, does this mean you are using a compressed admin image? If so, I'm not familiar with the structure of those. However, if the expanded CAB file results in what looks like a normal admin image directory structure, you may want to use the ORCA tool to inspect the PDM client MSI file to compare a working one with your broken one. Verify that the information (size, version, etc) in the File node is correct with respect to your replaced file(s):
image.png
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

yes compressed admin image.
it should be the same sructure that comes with the downloaded installer. the classic SW dvd structure with sub folders populated with cabs and setup files