Automatically delete local read only files that are not part of the vault

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Automatically delete local read only files that are not part of the vault

Unread post by CarrieIves »

Are you using the setting "Automatically delete local read-only files that are not part of the file vault"? We are using PDM standard and when someone else moves a file, we get left with local files if we had previously cached that file.

Before I toggle this setting, I wanted to see what risks we are likely to have with it.

Thanks,
Carrie
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Automatically delete local read only files that are not part of the vault

Unread post by bnemec »

We've had that turned on since early on. I remember it wasn't checked for a while and the local caches were getting some lint, but the real problem is SW doesn't understand that PDM Cache is special, so it happily uses the file as long as the file name matches. Yeah, there's a thirteen step process to choose where to look for the file name... Whatever it is, a file in cache that's not in vault is worse than the chance of deleting a file that the user needs. I cannot recall every hearing of a file being removed from cache, I was looking for evidence of this as I was ready with the response, "that's why we check new files in!"
image.png
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

"automatically delete local read-only files that are not part of the vault"

does this setting actually works?
I think grey folders are not touched as they are not files as well as private status as they are added to the vault but not read only (and this is a good thing)

according to kb
The setting to 'automatically delete local read-only files that are not part of the vault' will delete files that meet the criteria when the user with the setting browses into the vault folder that contains them.

Files that are read-only but added to the vault will not be deleted as these files do not meet the criteria of this user setting. To be deleted, a file will have to be both read-only and listed as a in the local vault view.
so it should work as expected, but does it prevent a user using sw from loading local cache while another user moves or renames a file in the vault using windows explorer?

does the definition of "browsing" includes the sw pdm addin or it is limited to the explorer browser?
CarrieIves

bnemec wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:42 pm Whatever it is, a file in cache that's not in vault is worse than the chance of deleting a file that the user needs. I cannot recall every hearing of a file being removed from cache, I was looking for evidence of this as I was ready with the response, "that's why we check new files in!"

image.png
That's what is driving me to look into this. We keep having trouble where assemblies are grabbing the local files in the project folder instead of the files in library folders in the vault.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

CarrieIves wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:43 pm That's what is driving me to look into this. We keep having trouble where assemblies are grabbing the local files in the project folder instead of the files in library folders in the vault.
From what I've seen in our use case I think checking the box would help you.

These project folders, I assume once the project is complete/launched the files for the parts that went into production are moved from project folder to library folders? It's a tad more work for the CAD Admin, but you could set those project folders to clear cache on logout once the project is going to production. Might not want to do it during development phases, but hopefully there's some level of design wind down/freeze/slush were there's less dev work in the project folder just before copying the files. On the down side I think this might increase log out time, not sure. It's just a thought.
CarrieIves

It's more that library parts get saved to the project folder initially. (We are supposed to save to the correct library folder, but we aren't as diligent as we should be.) We move them to the library before we finish checking and releasing the library parts.

I will try to set up my sandbox with enough local files to try it on Monday.

Thanks for your help.

Have a good weekend.
CarrieIves

It seemed to do what I wanted in my sandbox, so the main vault now has that setting.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

CarrieIves wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:55 pm It seemed to do what I wanted in my sandbox, so the main vault now has that setting.
does automatic deletion work from the solidworks open-save dialogs?or it is strictly limited to the windows explorer browsing?
CarrieIves

It seemed like it worked more like updating the cache on login. I didn't do much testing. One user moved several files. These were shown as local files. I logged out and back in, and they were no longer in that folder. We only have two users here that have views of our sandbox set up.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

thank you I will test on our server too. unfortunately I see a bug with the refresh cache not working with the login screen suppression activated in the registry.
CarrieIves

On further testing, I think it deletes them as you open the directory. I ran a search for local files this morning and found several. When I then went to the directory they were in, they were not there.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I am testing right now with 2 pdm clients. Moving and renaming files around the test vault.

Grey folders are deleted as well as local files during browsing from both explorer and sw open\save dialogs.

If you leave the local files open in sw or you are Inside a grey folder in a explorer window they are locked and cannot be deleted by browsing them with another process. closing sw or the explorer window requires a refresh (F5) to trigger the deletion.

Other local files are not deleted until browsing their path so they still can be loaded by accident.
adding "search local files" to the RMB menu could help locating them, then you can export a xls list and use it to browse up to their location triggering the deletion.
AFAIK clear local cache will not clear the local files and grey folders, but only cached data that actually exist in the server.