Printer settings

Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Printer settings

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

Does SW control the default print settings that it uses or is it entirely controlled by Winders? The reason I ask it because every time I print, I find that scaling has been set to 100%, which is rarely what I need. My Winders defaults are set to Scaling: None.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Printer settings

Unread post by AlexLachance »

It can use both as far as I'm aware, just needs to be set accordingly
image.png

These are the page setup settings found inside the Print function.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I find it to be document specific. It uses whatever is in your template, but once you change it, it stays changed.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

Ummmm...... Scaling: None is the same thing as 100% scale. If it wasn't the same, what in the world would Scaling: None mean?
Uncle_Hairball

josh wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:11 pm Ummmm...... Scaling: None is the same thing as 100% scale. If it wasn't the same, what in the world would Scaling: None mean?
You're right, of course. What I didn't mention is that I've tried all the alternatives in Winders and none of them have any impact on the scaling in SW.
Uncle_Hairball

SPerman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:44 pm I find it to be document specific. It uses whatever is in your template, but once you change it, it stays changed.
Bummer, I can't change the company templates. I guess I'm going to need a promotion.
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

@Uncle_Hairball you could kindly ask your admin explaining how it saves you a lot of time yearly.
I am surprised many of my users won't bother to ask and keep the issues for themselves enduring them everyday for years until I found them out by mere coincidence and solve them in like 10 minutes...
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

I think it's controlled by the setting Alex posted above.
image.png
If you have it set to "use this document settings" it can be done in the template. When I created my templates I did a PDF print from them useing Tabloid size and sale of 100% as shown above. That is my default when I try to print a drawing using this template (It happens to be a 11x17 sheet). My 8-1/2x11 template has a default letter sheet size.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

TTevolve wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:41 am I think it's controlled by the setting Alex posted above.

image.png

If you have it set to "use this document settings" it can be done in the template. When I created my templates I did a PDF print from them useing Tabloid size and sale of 100% as shown above. That is my default when I try to print a drawing using this template (It happens to be a 11x17 sheet). My 8-1/2x11 template has a default letter sheet size.
I think the setting is session-associated but I am not sure. The reason I believe it is is because we toggle it back and forth around here for different needs.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:14 am I think the setting is session-associated but I am not sure. The reason I believe it is is because we toggle it back and forth around here for different needs.
If you print your drawing template with the settings you want to default to and then save the template then when you load and use the template for a drawing it will pull in those settings in with it. Operators can then change it if they need and then it will be different going forward when opened next.

I always print to PDF's and then print the PDF's to actual paper as needed, so mine very rarely gets changed
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

this is another odd thing in SW.
the printer settIngs are also saved into the sw registry hive and copied along the user settings when exported apparently. (I have found very old printer setting inside ours and that printer is not even more with us... RIP)

I m reading a lot of KB articles related to templates, odd behavior and printing. well it is not a KB it is a horror gallery... like "yes you should click A to get... A, but it works only if you click B THEN A, but do not forget to open the dialog push OK and reopen it again ♡"
this is the kind of nonsense you get when the devs neglet to fix "simple" things like a bugged UI.
we are working around bugs In the templates as there are settings saved or not according to only god knows what. it should be as simple as pushing a save button, but no SW devs must add some thrill to the process..

and yes our depts are getting the oddest american paper sizes out of JIS-metric standard... for reasons??

btw things like this (still open)
Inconsistent behavior of set document properties after changing the drafting standard
Portfolio / Domain: SOLIDWORKS Desktop / E-Apps
Product: Drawings
Detected level(s): SOLIDWORKS 2020 SP4
Description

Steps to reproduce : 1)File > new drawing > use customized template 2)Add
model view 3)Tools > options > change the 'drafting standard' 4)New Sheet >
Add new model view >>>Observe the part name shown in the title block is
same as the part from first sheet Workaround- Go to tools > options >
document properties > drawing sheet first and then change the drafting
standard