New SOLIDWORKS PDM 2023 "Get" log

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
VicFrauenfeld
Answers: 0

New SOLIDWORKS PDM 2023 "Get" log

Unread post by VicFrauenfeld »

We just upgraded to 2023 and I turned on the "Get" log (Logging File Retrieval Operations). I am wondering where this log file is stored on the Archive Servers. I would like to use the log file in an Excel format (or something else) to make a dashboard showing all the files that users are getting the latest versions of. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?
Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
AlexB
Answers: 22

Re: New SOLIDWORKS PDM 2023 "Get" log

Unread post by AlexB »

It appears to be a table in the SQL database. I can't recall if the table existed before but I doubt it.
image.png
image.png (11.22 KiB) Viewed 322 times
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

AlexB wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:47 pm It appears to be a table in the SQL database. I can't recall if the table existed before but I doubt it.
image.png
Looks like the table gets added when you check the box in PDM 2023.
Jason
VicFrauenfeld
Answers: 0

Unread post by VicFrauenfeld »

Thanks @AlexB and @jcapriotti. Now for my next question...

Has anyone used that information to create a kind of report (dashboard) of this information? Or could someone direct me how to accomplish something like this?
Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

VicFrauenfeld wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:07 am Thanks @AlexB and @jcapriotti. Now for my next question...

Has anyone used that information to create a kind of report (dashboard) of this information? Or could someone direct me how to accomplish something like this?
It depends on what you want to see in the report, but it's possible. If you can write an SQL query to return the data you're looking for then you can use the PDM Report Generator to run your reports. Then get that data into Excel or something to format it how you'd like.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

I'm kind of excited about this additional functionality. Although I feel it's usage is mostly limited to helping PDM Admin trouble shoot or track down quirks in what users are doing/perceiving.

I have SSMS open most weeks for something or another anyway, saving a query on that table is likely how I'd find what I'm looking for.

With any system; from software to web pages or washing machines to race cars, adding functionality inherently adds failure points. I respect that they only added the data functionality as step one. Add the UI once we all figure out how we're going to use it.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

bnemec wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:30 am I'm kind of excited about this additional functionality. Although I feel it's usage is mostly limited to helping PDM Admin trouble shoot or track down quirks in what users are doing/perceiving.
I'm guessing this was needed for audit control.......who is getting files and where.
Jason
Diaval
Answers: 7

Unread post by Diaval »

Once the Get Log has been enabled, you can RMB on the vault in the Admin tool and select Show Get Log to see the log. You can also search the log contents, save the log as a txt, csv, or json file, and clear the log from the Admin tool UI.
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation