bom list configuration equals active reference model config

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
arild80
Answers: 0

bom list configuration equals active reference model config

Unread post by arild80 »

Hi all

How can i set up to say that BOM list always should be =to activereferance model?

I have a model with several configs in it. We have PDM and revise all project here.
When i get a new project where i need a copy of this job, i copy it to a new location.
Then i have all drawings updated to new input, also when changing the config to the new project.

To avoid "forgetting" updating the BOM list configuratin, i would like it to refer to active model config shown at the drawing.

Is that possible?
sloworks

Re: bom list configuration equals active reference model config

Unread post by sloworks »

You are using CopyTree, right? It is probably possible to make a macro that uses CopyTree and takes care of config as well.

This is problem also without PDM, by default bom config should be tied to view config, but it's not...risky stuff. Same with Weldment Cutlists.
BR
Markku
www.sloworks.fi
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

No, you cannot link the BOM displayed configuration to a view. Of course, when you create a BOM, you have to specify a model view that it will be based on. However, this is only a one-time initialization. The BOM will link to the configuration currently shown in that view, but there's no link to the view itself.
sloworks

Unread post by sloworks »

josh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:18 pm The BOM will link to the configuration currently shown in that view, but there's no link to the view itself.
Well, I would say that there is no (permanent) link, since bom configuration does not change when view configuration changes, and that's annoying -> enhancement request
BR
Markku
www.sloworks.fi
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

LOL, that is what I said. There is NO LINK TO THE VIEW. There is never any link to the view. The BOM is linked TO THE CONFIGURATION (that happens to currrently be shown in the view). The ONLY thing clicking on a view does during BOM configuration is tell the BOM which model and configuration to link to. After that one click, the view and the BOM have absolutely no relationship between them. You can even delete the view. You can, in fact, delete ALL the views on the whole drawing and replace them with views of a completely different model and the BOM WILL NOT CARE.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Only why I know this could work is by changing the model assembly/part references on the sheet.
image.png