Something to watch out for with SW2024

Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Something to watch out for with SW2024

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Some users have been asking for an option to have overridden dimensions on Drawings show as a different color, so that enhancement was added in SW2024. Because the only reason I ever override a dimension is to completely replace the dimension value with text, I didn't see any reason I'd ever need or want the enhancement, but okay, if others did I didn't care.

However, I just discovered that this is a document property instead of a system option, and it's turned on by default. That means if you don't want it turned on you will need to open your drawing templates, make that change, and save them.

At least they made it an option, instead of implementing it across the board, so I'm happy about that.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Something to watch out for with SW2024

Unread post by AlexLachance »

It's a good option to have for people working with multiple users creating drawings, there have been times where I wish I could distinct it visually because someone cheated their dimension rather then fixing things to get it right.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:08 pm It's a good option to have for people working with multiple users creating drawings, there have been times where I wish I could distinct it visually because someone cheated their dimension rather then fixing things to get it right.
Exactly this.....can't tell you how many times we've had users overriding drawing dimensions. Especially with offshore contractors.
Jason
AlexLachance

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:41 pm Exactly this.....can't tell you how many times we've had users overriding drawing dimensions. Especially with offshore contractors.
Hopefully it covers overriden dimensions but also covers those who just delete the <DIM> and replace it with text.
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:03 pm Hopefully it covers overriden dimensions but also covers those who just delete the <DIM> and replace it with text as Glenn stated.
I don't delete the <DIM> and replace it. I check the "Override value:" option and enter the desired text there.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:53 pm I don't delete the <DIM> and replace it. I check the "Override value:" option and enter the desired text there.

image.png
My apologies, I assumed that is what you meant by "replacing the value with text", I didn't know you could write text in the "override value" case.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Does this color difference show up on the printed drawings? I think it is great that the SW user knows the dimension is overridden. I don't want to take calls from vendors asking "Am I supposed to do something different with these blue dimensions vs. the black ones?"
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

consider you are lucky that your templates actually save that option.
I just wrote a post about transparency in drawings that is activated by default inside document properties, but even if turned off and saved into the templates it is not recognized as disabled.
it remains turned on.

SW told us to suck it up and disable it everytime we make a drawing with our templates (made with their buggy CAD)

I am finalizing the deployment and auto setup for 2023, making batches, reinstalling, testing and cleanIng up the test server, testing the cad, pdm and simulation, edrawings, see what they added in the task scripts (without fixing the errors still there since years of SPR)

in two weeks of all the above I found at least 3 bugs that affect us just using SW casually. still their QA missed them...
AlexLachance

mp3-250 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:20 am consider you are lucky that your templates actually save that option.
I just wrote a post about transparency in drawings that is activated by default inside document properties, but even if turned off and saved into the templates it is not recognized as disabled.
it remains turned on.

SW told us to suck it up and disable it everytime we make a drawing with our templates (made with their buggy CAD)

I am finalizing the deployment and auto setup for 2023, making batches, reinstalling, testing and cleanIng up the test server, testing the cad, pdm and simulation, edrawings, see what they added in the task scripts (without fixing the errors still there since years of SPR)

in two weeks of all the above I found at least 3 bugs that affect us just using SW casually. still their QA missed them...
How are you not making this more public? I'd be on their platform throwing crap all over the wall making sure everyone knows about the support I got. That's a pretty concerning response. Generally they say something like "We'll adress this issue in X version/SP, in the meanwhile, work with your VAR so that he can develop a work-around for you" or something along that line.
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:25 pm Does this color difference show up on the printed drawings? I think it is great that the SW user knows the dimension is overridden. I don't want to take calls from vendors asking "Am I supposed to do something different with these blue dimensions vs. the black ones?"
I don't know, but someone else might.
mp3-250 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:20 am consider you are lucky that your templates actually save that option.
it remains turned on.

I've run into that also, but it's a single check box in the drawing's property manager that I can turn off, so at most it's a minor irritation (for me, at least).

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:26 am I don't know, but someone else might.

I've run into that also, but it's a single check box in the drawing's property manager that I can turn off, so at most it's a minor irritation (for me, at least).
It most likely does, sort of like how layers come out a different color when printing from the program VS generating a PDF.
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

While I agree it is a minor annoyance, this is one ADDITIONAL minor annoyance.
With dozen of people using SW within the company it is hard to keep them ALL in line with a pIlining list of issues.

You cannot tell them to remember a list of minutes settIngs and workarounds they need to use or avoid for every single release.
they have a job to do.

it should be fixed in 2024, but I am pretty sure it is going to be broken again down the road another couple of times.