Sharing bad model trees

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
jayar
Answers: 2

Sharing bad model trees

Unread post by jayar »

So, this is a sheet/structural weldment model I have to work with. I think I'll start all over....
Attachments
bad tree.PNG
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Sharing bad model trees

Unread post by mike miller »

jayar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:27 am So, this is a sheet/structural weldment model I have to work with. I think I'll start all over....
Who gave you my models? I want them back!!
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
VicFrauenfeld
Answers: 0

Unread post by VicFrauenfeld »

@jayar Is that part used in any assemblies? If you start over the assembly mates will fail and you will need to reassign them.

And don't forget about the drawing too.
Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

jayar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:27 am So, this is a sheet/structural weldment model I have to work with. I think I'll start all over....
yeah.. sometimes it's better to just save it as a parasolid or insert part for reference and cleanly redo it. :mrgreen:
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

VicFrauenfeld wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:38 am @jayar Is that part used in any assemblies? If you start over the assembly mates will fail and you will need to reassign them.

Valid concern there which also dominates many of our practices here too. In this case it looks like he's put any possible parent assemblies into that one part file! ;)

Does it also have a couple dozen configurations for various sizes and styles? Seriously, my hat's off to places that can model like this where there is little to no reuse of parts.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

VicFrauenfeld wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:38 am @jayar Is that part used in any assemblies? If you start over the assembly mates will fail and you will need to reassign them.

That's like our number 1 rule for new hires. No remodeling anything, not even deleting features and recreating them without good reason. Especially because you don't like the way they are built.

Of course it still happens. And when I figure out who it is, they get to fix the numerous assemblies and drawings that broke. Repairing the damage once or twice learns them real quick.
Jason
jayar
Answers: 2

Unread post by jayar »

That's kind of the point, there is no drawing. It's a weldment - with no 'parts' so no details either. SMH
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

jayar wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:13 am

That's kind of the point, there is no drawing. It's a weldment - with no 'parts' so no details either. SMH
WOW. No pc parts? No drawing? Where do you work and are they hiring? Sounds like complete freedom! Enjoy that. If we were making that weldment every component would have a part number, model and drawing, and stocked and most of them would be used in other places as well. The weldment would need a print, this looks like it would take a couple B size sheets to detail all the dims and welds. Also, I cannot think of any weldment we sell to customer, so this would be used in combination with other weldments, pc parts, hardware, etc. to make the top level product.
I had to look up what SMH means, ok, you can shake your head at us but my goodness you don't know how nice you have it. No offence, seriously, I'm happy for you. A little envious, maybe. ;) You actually have the freedom to remodel parts, others must live with them or spend days doing no rev changes to the entire where used tree (Drawings included) fixing everything.