How do I get Admin Image changes to the client machine

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
VicFrauenfeld
Answers: 0

How do I get Admin Image changes to the client machine

Unread post by VicFrauenfeld »

Help.

I just recently upgraded all client computers using an Admin Image for 2023. I just realized that when I set up that 2023 Admin Image, I did not check the PDM Client option to install the Microsoft Office Add-in. I went back into the Admin Image and checked the box (for my own computer to begin with).

However, when I reboot my machine, the Microsoft Office Add-in is not available in Word or Excel. I thought that the next time the client computer is booted, that it should look at the Admin Image and update the changes. Am I wrong in that thought?

I even went so far as running the Admin Image again on this machine. It still doesn't have the add-in in Word.

What am I missing?
Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
JSculley
Answers: 54

Re: How do I get Admin Image changes to the client machine

Unread post by JSculley »

VicFrauenfeld
Answers: 0

Unread post by VicFrauenfeld »

VicFrauenfeld wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:39 am
I even went so far as running the Admin Image again on this machine. It still doesn't have the add-in in Word.
OK, so here is an update for everyone else's information.

I re-ran the Admin Image on a backup machine. It did not update the Word software with the Add-in. That was PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair). I did not change the Admin Image for that computer, I changed it for my main computer. Once I changed the Admin Image for that backup computer, the Word 2016 showed the Add-in for PDM.

I then tried to re-run the Admin Image for my main computer. This computer uses Office 365 (not Office 2016). Word did not show the tab for PDM. I had to look at the Add-ins for Word and found that the "Word SOLIDWORKS PDM Integration" Add-in was disabled. I had to enable it to get it to work.

I still thought that the whole point of the Admin Image was that a computer that was installed with the image would see if the image was changed and then update to it. o[
Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

no the admin image point is to simplify, automaize and standardize the software deployment for multiple workstations.
you have to properly setup the installation options as you experienced with the pdm client.
it does not change an existing installation unless it is run again on a specific machine. be careful if the admin image is shared, if you do not manage group of machines the pdm client will be installed on all of them.