Ability to Copy an Element from one Drawing Sheet to Another and Paste it in the Same Location on the New Sheet

Post requests for additions or fixes to the Solidworks software
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Ability to Copy an Element from one Drawing Sheet to Another and Paste it in the Same Location on the New Sheet

Unread post by bnemec »

I wonder how they will implement that, IF, they do. The functionality has been around for as long as I can recall in aCAD as well as Solid Edge draft. Things like this are why I just chuckle and shake my head when people say Solidworks' UI is and has been superior to everything else.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: Ability to Copy an Element from one Drawing Sheet to Another and Paste it in the Same Location on the New Sheet

Unread post by SPerman »

Is it even possible to identify the x,y position so that you can match it on the other sheet?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

I added a comment:

Maybe add a "paste special" function similar to excel or Word (which is implemented with CTRL + ALT + V), that allows you to select what you want pasted. Like XY location, format, color, etc. Where the CTRL + ALT + V would initiate the "Paste Special" and CTRL + V would initiate the current paste functionality
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

The normal way that I'm used to is paste command (ctrl +v) and the copied content is floating around as a preview as to where it will be dropped on mouse click. Shift puts the copied content at the same location as it was copied from, mouse click drops it. Smooth, simple, fast, done.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

How close does it need to be? I'm asking because you can paste the view on the same sheet and drag it so it overlaps the original as close as you can get it, then go to the tree, select the copied view, and drag it to the sheet name of the sheet you want it on. It will be placed in the same location on that sheet as it was on the original view.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
dave.laban
Answers: 4

Unread post by dave.laban »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:02 pm How close does it need to be? I'm asking because you can paste the view on the same sheet and drag it so it overlaps the original as close as you can get it, then go to the tree, select the copied view, and drag it to the sheet name of the sheet you want it on. It will be placed in the same location on that sheet as it was on the original view.
Might work for views and other things you can manipulate from the tree, but this ER is asking for Notes, Blocks etc. to be able to be dropped in the same place, which don't show in the tree.
Glenn Schroeder

dave.laban wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:22 am Might work for views and other things you can manipulate from the tree, but this ER is asking for Notes, Blocks etc. to be able to be dropped in the same place, which don't show in the tree.
I guess I missed that. Adding them to a sheet format is the only way to do that now, as everyone probably already knows.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

dave.laban

I've possibly been missing something for a number of years and will soon be feeling quite silly, however the Note that I have as part of my sheet format is never generated when I add a new sheet to a drawing, it only ever exists on Page 1 when I create the document in the first place. Is there a workaround for that I've been oblivious to all this time?
Glenn Schroeder

dave.laban wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:23 am I've possibly been missing something for a number of years and will soon be feeling quite silly, however the Note that I have as part of my sheet format is never generated when I add a new sheet to a drawing, it only ever exists on Page 1 when I create the document in the first place. Is there a workaround for that I've been oblivious to all this time?
Did you save the sheet format after adding the Note? If no, that would explain the behavior.

dave.laban

If I go to "Save Sheet Format" the Note disappears when the Save dialogue box comes up.

Sheet template:
image.png
After activating Save Sheet Format:
image.png
Seems like Notes get removed from the Sheet Format?

If I add the Note to the Sheet Format rather than the Template, I can't then easily edit it to add / remove further notes, I have to go in to edit the Sheet Format every time.
Glenn Schroeder

dave.laban wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:46 am If I go to "Save Sheet Format" the Note disappears when the Save dialogue box comes up.

Sheet template:
image.png

After activating Save Sheet Format:
image.png

Seems like Notes get removed from the Sheet Format?

If I add the Note to the Sheet Format rather than the Template, I can't then easily edit it to add / remove further notes, I have to go in to edit the Sheet Format every time.
Adding the note while in "Edit sheet format" mode is the only way to save it with the sheet format. When you save it in the drawing template it is only saved on the sheet or sheets it was on when the drawing template was saved.

For the situation you described I'd recommend saving the note as a note Style. I have similar notes saved as Styles in my drawing templates and it works very well. If you have questions about implementing that I will be happy to help.

I know most users save notes as library items instead, but I started using Styles instead years ago when I was having problems with library notes and haven't regretted it.

image.png

Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Copy and paste the sheet.
Delete what you don't need.

Maybe bring grid back on drawing and paste to the grid.
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Just came across this today...

In theory this is definitely achievable, especially for note since the X, Y information is already available

In case anyone is interested, attached is a simple macro create in 30min to "recreate" a note at the same position (X, Y) in another sheet.

Note:
1. To use the macro, select ONE note before running the macro
2. The macro is by no mean perfect as i just create it as a test and dont really bother to include error checking and prevention...
image.png
Attachments
CopyNoteTest.swp
(80 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
dave.laban

That's great! Thank you very much for this, will certainly do the job in most cases.