administrative image customized machine configuration

mp3-250
Answers: 18

administrative image customized machine configuration

Unread post by mp3-250 »

2023 SP5

I am on the verge of deployment and I am making the last adjustments and checks on our admin image.
I have multiple deployment groups and SOME machine inside one of them had the toolbox customized to a different path. so i tried to RMB those machines and force their group settings back. it seems to temporary work, but if you press ok an close the admin image option editor and open it again the customization is still there for those machines... I also tried to RMB the group those machines belongs to and force the group settings on them and it was the same behavior: the customization is not overwritten.
the only workaround that worked is to manually set the toolbox location for each customized machine to match their group setting. In this way those machines match their group default and their settings are saved.

be careful and check ALL your machine settings before deployment.
AlexB
Answers: 22

Re: administrative image customized machine configuration

Unread post by AlexB »

I had found that if an installation was using an administrator settings file from a previous admin image then that essentially overrode the one for the new admin image that I was trying to deploy. This was apparent when the hole wizard location wasn't updated between versions for a few users. After running the installer with these 2 lines in place, I had success in getting the setting to stick for remaining users.

After realizing what was going on, I added this line to a batch file (.bat) in order to remove the local cached .sldsettings file .

Code: Select all

if exist "%APPDATA%\SOLIDWORKS\SOLIDWORKS 2023\Administrator.sldsettings" DEL "%APPDATA%\SOLIDWORKS\SOLIDWORKS 2023\Administrator.sldsettings"
Then, I run a registry (.reg) file to update the locked options path to the new ".sldsettings" file.

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SOLIDWORKS 2023\General]
"LockedOptions"="\\\\servername\\SOLIDWORKS\\Installs\\SW 2023 SP5.0 ADMIN IMAGE\\SW SETTINGS\\default.sldsettings"
I'm not sure if both items are necessary but at this point I'd rather not change it just to test it. Hopefully that helps, if even a little.
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I do not use the sldsetting file for mine. anyway I discovered this problem while editing the admin image deployment options on a unrelated workstation: the settings reverted back every time I closed the option screen.
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

mp3-250 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:20 pm the settings reverted back every time I closed the option screen.
This is my experience as well. It's happened with several settings in both the image options editor as well as the admin settings tool. The admin image stuff needs to be completely assessed by SW but I don't see that happening with all their focus on 3Dx stuff.