How to find the version of the SLDPart file?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
robertkjr3d
Answers: 0

How to find the version of the SLDPart file?

Unread post by robertkjr3d »

I do not possess a Solidworks license or software. I do have other CAD readers that can access Solid works types. But often we run into issues with SolidWorks files built with the "Student edition", of which we cannot read. We also are not yet able to process 2024 solid works files.

Is there a way to read the binary file SLDPRT File and tell what version it is? With a hex-reader or other type of reader. Of course I've tried examining the files in different encodings, and I can't make any head-or-tails of the file. It's not like other CAD formats that are readable. But of course there must be some secret-sauce that does not violate 'state regulations'.... lol I mean Solid-Works rules. To just know what version the file is.
cme1st2302

Re: How to find the version of the SLDPart file?

Unread post by cme1st2302 »

Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Not available without Solidworks installed.

Took a quick look at some SW files.
Looks like they're compressed or encrypted.
robertkjr3d

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:06 pm Not available without Solidworks installed.

Took a quick look at some SW files.
Looks like they're compressed or encrypted.
Ok, I understand what your saying. However: Let's consider that when Solidworks is installed Windows reads the files with the tag 'SW Last Saved With'. Doesn't that mean that the custom 'meta-tag' already exists? Not sure if I'm using the term correctly. So perhaps I just need to find a viewer that will read the tags? Ones that windows does not show me when I click file-properties-->Details. Like a music and Raw-picture files have other properties that windows is able to read in the details. If they are 'tagged', like MP3s... Is there a way to just read custom file tags and to change that data, how to edit that? This is probably more of a programming question than it is a 'Solid-Works' how to question. Although related.
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

You might get this information using SolidWorks Document Manager API.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
Frederick_Law

robertkjr3d wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:02 pm Is there a way to just read custom file tags and to change that data, how to edit that? This is probably more of a programming question than it is a 'Solid-Works' how to question. Although related.
Yes, find a way to decompress and decrypt the file.
ie reverse engineer the Solidworks file.
Crack or Hack it.

Reading version is helpful.
Edit it will be harmful.
The file "database" is written at that version which is incompatible to older version.
robertkjr3d

gupta9665 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:55 pm You might get this information using SolidWorks Document Manager API.
SolidWorks Document Manager API, also requires a License.
The 'SW Last Saved With' is metadata. I feel like: "It shouldn't be that difficult to read metadata." That said... I have yet to find a tool that will read custom metadata aside from Music files and Image Files, which normally utilize metadata tags.

1) 'wmic' reads the file, but is designed to only read only specific metadata.
2) 'exiftool' fails after a few items, complaining about the type.
3) 'nconvert' does something similar.

There is supposed to be a powershell metadata reader but the shell-code is out-of-date and I can't find it. The links don't work anymore.
robertkjr3d

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:49 am Reading version is helpful.
Edit it will be harmful.
The file "database" is written at that version which is incompatible to older version.
I was told that you "Used" to be able to find a quick version code within the file. That was prior to 2015. But that it's not simple anymore.
Refer to the above comment about 'metadata' is the ticket I believe. If there is a way at all.

Decrypting or unzipping "maybe"... but I doubt it. Again Windows doesn't have to do this when showing the metadata when Solidworks is installed. Meaning it doesn't have to 'Decrypt' the file and read any data. The metadata already exists. SolidWorks just tells windows-10 to start showing the metadata-Tag.
Frederick_Law

robertkjr3d wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:07 pm Decrypting or unzipping "maybe"... but I doubt it. Again Windows doesn't have to do this when showing the metadata when Solidworks is installed. Meaning it doesn't have to 'Decrypt' the file and read any data. The metadata already exists. SolidWorks just tells windows-10 to start showing the metadata-Tag.
With SW installed, SW did whatever it need to give Window those info. Usually an extension to read SW files.
Hence SW API is a possible solution.

Windows can read "inside" compressed ZIP file.
Windows can read "encrypted" file and drive with proper software installed.
Yes, there are decompression and decryption involved.

Usually there is a header in file. Zip file start with PK. exe file start with MZ.
Didn't see that on SW files.

Also can't see any readable text.
SWFile-01.jpg
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

as stated above sw files are encrypted so without SW installed there is no way around to extract those information in a normal Windows setup.
gupta9665

robertkjr3d wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:00 pm SolidWorks Document Manager API, also requires a License.
No it does not but you need to have SolidWorks Document Manager key and SolidWorks Document Manager installed on machine having no Solidworks.

The SolidWorks Document Manager key is provided only to customer on active subscription.
Deepak Gupta
len_1962

Unread post by len_1962 »

Edit: what are you using the SW files for? Machining in your CAM software?

get yourself the free EDrawings and you can view the files if you just need to see what they look like.
it can view parts, assemblies and drawings as well as open other CAD too.

if you want something to open them get OnShape Free plan https://www.onshape.com/en/products/free

or maybe the SolidEdge free one could be the other trick. https://solidedge.siemens.com/en/free-s ... /overview/
robertkjr3d

gupta9665 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:35 am No it does not but you need to have SolidWorks Document Manager key and SolidWorks Document Manager installed on machine having no Solidworks.

The SolidWorks Document Manager key is provided only to customer on active subscription.
How is that not saying the same thing? If you need an active subscription... than perhaps we are just splitting hairs of my wording. Are you saying it does not have significant cost that I would need to propose to my superiors?
len_1962 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:20 am get yourself the free EDrawings and you can view the files if you just need to see what they look like.
it can view parts, assemblies and drawings as well as open other CAD too.
Interesting... EDrawings is installed on my computer. It is able to open the files. However, opening the files is not my goal. Here's the interesting part, eDrawings-2023 has no problem opening student versions of the files. Also interesting that the software seems to be built with the same software view that our companies proprietary software is built with. I think many CAD companies used the same 'Code-Base' originally (like back in the 2010s). I forget where I found it as open-source somewhere, but ours was originally built by a Chinese company, and I'm now the current developer. I Digress... What actually is the goal? As said in the opening: I wish to know what version of Solid-Works the file is actually built with. and I'll tell you why, I may have said this already or not. The converter software package that our company contracts... 1) Does not convert Files built with the 'Student' version. 2) As of yet does not work with 2024 Solid Works files. (actually I know I mentioned that).

I did try a few things within eDrawings, as I didn't realize or had forgotten that eDrawings was installed. But eDrawings does not seem to help my cause. It doesn't tell me the version.
len_1962 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:20 am if you want something to open them get OnShape Free plan https://www.onshape.com/en/products/free
or maybe the SolidEdge free one could be the other trick. https://solidedge.siemens.com/en/free-s ... /overview/
Your first 'onshape' link did not work.
The soilidEdge link is a 30-day trial. So I don't think it counts as 'Free'.
gupta9665

robertkjr3d wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:02 pm How is that not saying the same thing? If you need an active subscription... than perhaps we are just splitting hairs of my wording. Are you saying it does not have significant cost that I would need to propose to my superiors?
The key is given free. If you do not plan to upgrade or pay subscription later, you can continue using the key. So there is no recurring cost. And you can use the key on multiple machines. The only downfall is that the key is not forward compatible i.e. it can not read/write data form future files. This means you would need to upgrade the key with every upgrade of SW.

I'm not sure if you get key for your existing SW version even if you are not on active subscription. You can talk to your VAR about it.
Deepak Gupta
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

gupta9665 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:00 pm The key is given free. If you do not plan to upgrade or pay subscription later, you can continue using the key. So there is no recurring cost. And you can use the key on multiple machines. The only downfall is that the key is not forward compatible i.e. it can not read/write data form future files. This means you would need to upgrade the key with every upgrade of SW.

I'm not sure if you get key for your existing SW version even if you are not on active subscription. You can talk to your VAR about it.
The key is given free but the subscription is not. If I'm understanding his situation correctly, he does not have a SolidWorks licence and is trying to work around that to somewhat work with SolidWorks files.
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 pm The key is given free but the subscription is not. If I'm understanding his situation correctly, he does not have a SolidWorks licence and is trying to work around that to somewhat work with SolidWorks files.
If his company is developing something that requires access to sw version they should just pay for that. there are not workarounds and all this discussion is running in circles around the very same point.
sw components are able to read encrypted properties with their libraries or whatever. that require an active subscription to be used and there are not third party free tools that allows that.
gupta9665

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 pm The key is given free but the subscription is not. If I'm understanding his situation correctly, he does not have a SolidWorks licence and is trying to work around that to somewhat work with SolidWorks files.
OP mentioned that there are other CAD readers that can access SolidWorks types. So I assumed license is available but might be limited.
Deepak Gupta
Frederick_Law

First sentence from OP:
I do not possess a Solidworks license or software.
I believe OP just want to know file version (2000, 2024, 2025, Student 2020, Student 2024 etc).
So they'll know if they can process the file or not.

Ran into this with customers all the time.
My solution is ask for STEP files and pdf of any drawings.
DWG or DXF if they're flat pattern.

It doesn't matter which version or program the file came from.
If our CAD, CAM can't read/process it, it's useless.
Start with something we can use instead of running in circle about software version.

I don't know how knowing the file version help solve the problem.
Unless it's about updating current software.
Still the latest update still may not be able to read latest CAD file.

Of course I can't see the whole picture here.
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

Just a little additional tidbit regarding this solution.... If the file was last saved with a version higher than currently installed, Explorer will only report last saved with "Future Version".
len_1962

File Proporties shows version in the details tab, not sure if it will show EDU
Attachments
SW File Proporties Details.png
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

len_1962 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:51 am File Proporties shows version in the details tab, not sure if it will show EDU
This is basically the same functionality as the Javelin link above for showing the info in a column of Windows Explorer... Only works with SW installed, only shows "Future version" if newer than installed version of SW.
len_1962

josh wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:27 pm This is basically the same functionality as the Javelin link above for showing the info in a column of Windows Explorer... Only works with SW installed, only shows "Future version" if newer than installed version of SW.
what if EDrawings is installed and not SW, would you see version?? don't have any PC's with out SW on them