temp folder with gigabytes of data and slow login

mp3-250
Answers: 18

temp folder with gigabytes of data and slow login

Unread post by mp3-250 »

We have the autorecovery disabled in solidworks, but the file backup enable and set to 3 copies to be kept for 3 days. Honestly I have never used the backup, but I am not too fond to disable it completely.
Ar least until today, when I saw one of our user with a decent workstation taking up to 4 minutes for a login (active directory user).
I looked up stackoverflow and serverfault etc and the issue seems related to a huge user profile.
my user run DAILY the disk cleanup utility including all temporary files, but when I looked inside its %temp% folder (the one under %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp) and it was full of folders named swx*something* cleary SW related. in the end the temp folder was bloated with around 30GB of temp files.
CTRL+A and SHIFT+delete removed all the content non locked by an active process. reboot and the login took 30seconds instead of 4 minutes.

I do not know yet if it is a coincidence or not, but I am going to experiment with oher pcs with a similar issue.
I am not completely sure is a exclusive SW problem as well, but i won't be surprised if SW just forget the deletion of temporary files or backup data. but 30GB are quite big.
by Frederick_Law » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:10 pm
Setup "Storage Sense" in Windows 10 to delete Temp files:
StorageSense-01.jpg
Go to full post
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: temp folder with gigabytes of data and slow login

Unread post by AlexLachance »

The ones that seem to remain on my end seem to be linked to crashes and SW Rx Reports.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: temp folder with gigabytes of data and slow login

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Setup "Storage Sense" in Windows 10 to delete Temp files:
StorageSense-01.jpg