Background colour

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
philem
Answers: 0

Background colour

Unread post by philem »

Hi guys, just a quick one.

I am going through some exercises, I have set the background to a gradient colour, but, when I start a new document, the background is all white again.
How do I get it to stay in the gradient ccolour ?

Thanks in advance
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Re: Background colour

Unread post by mp3-250 »

check your template file.
philem

Unread post by philem »

mp3-250 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:06 am check your template file.
You mean I have to save it as a templeate ?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

My mistake. Not paying attention to which forum this is in.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

philem wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:55 am You mean I have to save it as a templeate ?
Yes. Unfortunately it's one of those things that should be a system setting but instead is a document setting that is also used in more things such as rendering.
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

Open your templates used to start new files, and set it there.

As @AlexLachance mentioned, the Gradient Background setting is a "per file" setting while the Solid Background setting is a global setting. Doesn't make a lot of sense but I think the original intent of the Gradient Background was for use as a "presentation" tool rather than a "working environment" tool, but SE started delivering templates with it turned on and lots of folks got used to it and it is now a standard for most.
philem

Unread post by philem »

KennyG wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:59 am Open your templates used to start new files, and set it there.

As @AlexLachance mentioned, the Gradient Background setting is a "per file" setting while the Solid Background setting is a global setting. Doesn't make a lot of sense but I think the original intent of the Gradient Background was for use as a "presentation" tool rather than a "working environment" tool, but SE started delivering templates with it turned on and lots of folks got used to it and it is now a standard for most.
Sorry, don't understand, I haven't been able to find a templates folder or file or anything. Don't want to waste peoples time so will ley it go till I get more familiar with S E.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

@philem By default, the delivered templates are here for 2024 and the ones you use are in the subfolder for the Standard you selected on install ("ANSI Inch" as an example):
C:\Program Files\Siemens\Solid Edge 2024\Template

You have the option in the SE Options/File Locations to specify a "User Templates" location as well.

Standard practice is to take a copy of the delivered templates, put them in a safe folder, modify them to personalize them, then set the User Templates option to point to that folder.

The files directly in the specified templates folder are opened when you select the "New" command and always trigger a Save As, but if you Open them, you can modify and Save them to customize.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Jesus christ, I did it again, my apologies. I thought you were speaking about SolidWorks and not SolidEdge. I need to be more careful about where the topics are.. :?
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:45 am Jesus christ, I did it again, my apologies. I thought you were speaking about SolidWorks and not SolidEdge. I need to be more careful about where the topics are.. :?
Attachments
705da147b416be4a2faad40d8cb16a16_w200.gif
705da147b416be4a2faad40d8cb16a16_w200.gif (913.86 KiB) Viewed 509 times
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
philem

Unread post by philem »

KennyG wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:37 am @philem By default, the delivered templates are here for 2024 and the ones you use are in the subfolder for the Standard you selected on install ("ANSI Inch" as an example):
C:\Program Files\Siemens\Solid Edge 2024\Template

You have the option in the SE Options/File Locations to specify a "User Templates" location as well.

Standard practice is to take a copy of the delivered templates, put them in a safe folder, modify them to personalize them, then set the User Templates option to point to that folder.

The files directly in the specified templates folder are opened when you select the "New" command and always trigger a Save As, but if you Open them, you can modify and Save them to customize.

Hi KennyG

I uninstalled 2023 and installed 2024, but, this template business is too hard, so will just put up with the white background. So now will go back to practising but as usual have hit another hurdle, will try a little while longer and if no joy will have to post here again.

Thanks again
Pernils
Answers: 1

Unread post by Pernils »

image.png
Select your preferred standard. Just remember what it is. In this case I have chosen "DIN Metric"
image.png
Make your changes...
image.png
Save as ...
image.png
Navigate to your installed template folder and go into the chosen standard.
image.png
Here you can chose to save as the old file or make a new one.
Here I decide to save it to new filename.
image.png
So next time I want to make a new file I have the option to chose my new template.
image.png
If you want to store the template files somewhere else ... Settings -> Options

image.png
Press modify and browse to your own created folder with templates.
philem

Unread post by philem »

Pernils wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am image.png

Select your preferred standard. Just remember what it is. In this case I have chosen "DIN Metric"

image.png

Make your changes...

image.png

Save as ...

image.png

Navigate to your installed template folder and go into the chosen standard.

image.png

Here you can chose to save as the old file or make a new one.
Here I decide to save it to new filename.

image.png

So next time I want to make a new file I have the option to chose my new template.

image.png

If you want to store the template files somewhere else ... Settings -> Options

image.png

Press modify and browse to your own created folder with templates.
Thank You Pernils.

All good now, thanks