Should someone on an Educational SolidWorks License (student OR teacher) feel nervous about using this forum?

Edu User Anon
Answers: 0

Should someone on an Educational SolidWorks License (student OR teacher) feel nervous about using this forum?

Unread post by Edu User Anon »

Hi everyone, my first post :)

I have previously been interacting with you guys on the old forum, for the last few months of its life. And I've been kind of apprehensive about participating openly in this new forum since I'm on an Educational License, as a mature-adult student.

Why apprehensive?? Well, my thinking is that I don't want to be seen as 'biting the hand that feeds' by joining what some (DS) might see as a sort of mutiny. Yes, yes, I know its not like that, the whole 3DSWYM thing is pretty crappy to say the least.

So, anyway, I imagine I'm not alone in this thinking, and that there are others like myself quietly sitting on the sidelines, whether they be students or instructor/teachers. So what reassurance can you guys offer to myself and others in this situation?

Or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks.
Craig Schultz

Re: Should someone on an Educational SolidWorks License (student OR teacher) feel nervous about using this forum?

Unread post by Craig Schultz »

Finished with my woman' cause
she couldn't help me with my mind
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Should someone on an Educational SolidWorks License (student OR teacher) feel nervous about using this forum?

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

We are a group of long time SW users.
We cannot guarantee anything.
Mutiny is a good word.

What I can guarantee is, if DS bully any SW users not to come here, they'll hope they never exist.
You can see on the 3DSwYmP what we (me) have done.
Other had contact with DS employees and already gave their "strong" opinions.

This is an open forum. We are in an open country. Any action trying to oppose that will be disaster for DS.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

I don't see any reason that you cannot be part of this forum & at the same time as any forums that are officially licensed by Solidworks.

Posting to this forum shouldn't be any different than posting to any other forum on the internet as long as you don't break any of the EULA rules. Which, unless you can are copying and pasting stuff from the Official SW Forum or attempting to make money with your Edu license......then you shouldn't have a problem.

IMHO.

edited for fat finger mistakes..... <()>
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Edu User Anon wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:58 pm So, anyway, I imagine I'm not alone in this thinking, and that there are others like myself quietly sitting on the sidelines, whether they be students or instructor/teachers. So what reassurance can you guys offer to myself and others in this situation?

Thanks.
Well, welcome. I'll tell you what. We won't tell DS you came here if you won't. Seriously, it's not like you're pirating software or something. I think they have better things to do than get petty against customers. They might take it out on me, but I'm kind of used to that.

We're not doing any harm (well most of us aren't doing any harm) we aren't talking any more crap about the software than usual.

There's no reason to feel nervous. We are actually eager to get back to answering questions. A lot of people get a sense of purpose by helping, and by coming here and bringing your students you'll be helping us help you.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Edu User Anon wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:58 pm Hi everyone, my first post :)

I have previously been interacting with you guys on the old forum, for the last few months of its life. And I've been kind of apprehensive about participating openly in this new forum since I'm on an Educational License, as a mature-adult student.

Why apprehensive?? Well, my thinking is that I don't want to be seen as 'biting the hand that feeds' by joining what some (DS) might see as a sort of mutiny. Yes, yes, I know its not like that, the whole 3DSWYM thing is pretty crappy to say the least.

So, anyway, I imagine I'm not alone in this thinking, and that there are others like myself quietly sitting on the sidelines, whether they be students or instructor/teachers. So what reassurance can you guys offer to myself and others in this situation?

Thanks.
I'm not sure what reassurance we can give you, but in the unlikely event that Dassault decides to somehow "punish" people for using this forum you can rest assured that you'll be in good company.

I don't think you're being paranoid, but I also don't think you need to be concerned.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frederick_Law

The fact that you're asking this question, DS should be concerned about it's future.
Because you can always learn another software and not worry.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

You're anonymous now, you can keep it that way. We need students here to ask questions. :mrgreen:

Also, EDU licenses are really a sales tool for Dassault (you get used to the software now and you'll likely use a commercial seat later). I don't think they're in a hurry to disenfranchised potential customers. Of course, you never know for sure with DSS....
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

Edu User Anon wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:58 pm Hi everyone, my first post :)

Thanks.
If I'm not mistaken you can only get an EDU license thru a qualified educational organization. DS would have to go to that organization and cancel their licenses or convince them that you shouldn't have a license.

The former would be a mistake of epic proportions because that educational organzation would trot right over to Autodesk, Onshape, NX or some other company and they would give them educational licenses....you could then still come here and hang out because this forum is multidimensional UU

The latter would mean that some educational organization somewhere hindered the education of one of it's students just to appease a "Grudge" of a large corporation. These days educational facilities seem to be on the opposite side of the fence as corporations so I doubt that would ever happen either.
Edu User Anon

Unread post by Edu User Anon »

Thanks for the responses so far, the mature ones especially.

Looks like I'm not the only one who's maybe being paranoid. So, just for the record, as a student (self-learning at home), I have received no correspondence whatsoever from DS or anyone else regarding this forum.

So, again, thanks for the greetings, but I think I will hold onto my anonymity, at least for now, which is unfortunate because it would be nice for me to publicly put myself out there as a 'helper' who knows their stuff re. SWX. I, myself, would have aspirations to get in on the training side of things in the future.

So I'll leave it at that - no interest in arguing.

All the best
E.U.A.
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

Why did you ask the question if you were not going to believe the answer anyway? You are absolutely the only one being paranoid. Only one person has said you were not being paranoid, and then they immediately said you shouldn't be concerned. Basically, they were trying to make you feel OK with your initial paranoid feelings because they're a nice person. There have been zero folks here who think you have anything to be afraid of. Everyone has said there is no issue. But you're still afraid of... something? I dunno what. What the actual F do you think they're going to do to you? As long as your license is legit, they have zero grounds to take any sort of action at all.
Frederick_Law

Culture.
Could be from a country where anything could happen.
Can't be too careful.
Not everyone on internet put up their whole life.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Just to chime in a related tangent, Edu licenses are available to more than just accredited schools, but it still is provided through your organization.
Specifically, you can join Experimental Aircraft Association for $40/yr and get an Edu license.
Tuition, pshah.

The whole purpose of Edu version is to get it into users' hands, and minds, without just giving it away for nothing to everyone. Eventually you may find something which requires a full license, and you'll be ready to use it when that time comes.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

Tom G wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:34 pm Just to chime in a related tangent, Edu licenses are available to more than just accredited schools, but it still is provided through your organization.
Specifically, you can join Experimental Aircraft Association for $40/yr and get an Edu license.
Tuition, pshah.

The whole purpose of Edu version is to get it into users' hands, and minds, without just giving it away for nothing to everyone. Eventually you may find something which requires a full license, and you'll be ready to use it when that time comes.
My point is, that unless obtained illegally, you got an EDU license thru a larger group of some sort. In order to end the use of that license either DS has to suspend the deal with the organization or the organization has to decide to end it with the user. Neither are likely to happen unless the user is abusing the license in some way.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

IF you someday want to be employed by DSS or a VAR and IF you plan on bashing solidworks in this forum, then I would remain anonymous. Otherwise I think you are being paranoid.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Would you ask for help regarding Solidworks in a Facebook group that is not moderated/owned by DSS or SW? Would you ask a SW question on reddit? Are you seeking help and thereby helping others that can later read the responses generated by your question? Or do you intend to run down DSS and/or SW as a company?

If the former then start asking. If the latter then maybe do that elsewhere, there seems to be enough here already and we don't need more encouragement. Either place, deception of identity is.... not so good.

If you are on in years as you hint to then I would like to assume that you make comments on the various electronic mediums the same way you would in a room full of people.
Frederick_Law

LOL
We're running DS down with our name in front.
And got invite to join their meeting :roll:

The only worry is, DS try shut this forum down.
Not much they can do to users without costing them their whole business.