Drawing, how to save as PDF and include all the sheets of embedded/linked (OLE) pdf file?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Drawing, how to save as PDF and include all the sheets of embedded/linked (OLE) pdf file?

Unread post by bnemec »

When pasting raster images of the pages of a pdf is not acceptable, is there a way to tell Solidworks to "unpack" the OLE pdf file into sheets when doing Save As PDF?

I see a hint of that ability in System Options -> Export -> PDF: High quality lines, Sharpened OLE DPI setting. If I have an option to set the DPI of the OLE object(s) then how do I get them to be exported. All I get in the saved pdf is the icon graphic, the embedded pdf is not there at all. If, when inserting the OLE on a sheet, if I leave the icon option unchecked I can see a very poor image of the first sheet of the embedded pdf which doesn't seem to change when I adjust the OLE DPI from 200 to 600. Is the OLE DPI setting for something else?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: Drawing, how to save as PDF and include all the sheets of embedded/linked (OLE) pdf file?

Unread post by SPerman »

You might get better results using print to PDF.
image.png
Clicking the "Edit" button on the "Default Settings" line brings up these options. I'm not sure if any of those will accomplish what you are looking for. (I'm not familiar with OLE.)
image.png

image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec

Re: Drawing, how to save as PDF and include all the sheets of embedded/linked (OLE) pdf file?

Unread post by bnemec »

Is that the PDF printer that is installed with Acrobat? It doesn't look familiar.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

That is possible. I have adobe installed.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

I always use the adobe PDF through the printer, it just gives you a lot more options then the save as PDF does. And I am dating myself, but when I started using solidworks save as PDF was not an option.

If I have have excel sheet or other documents that need to be in the PDF's with drawings I usually print the PDF's separately from the native programs then merge the PDF's to make one combined PDF. This is easy to do with acrobat installed.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

It's beginning to look like I made wrong choice to use Save As PDF in our PDM task add-in. I didn't leave myself very good bread crumbs as to why I didn't use the Print to PDF method when I wrote the task add-in. Starting to feel like I need to try to add code for print to pdf and a task setup setting to choose between save as or print.