TIPS+TRICKS - Use MULTI-BODY to create complex sweep paths

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
TooTallToby
Answers: 0

TIPS+TRICKS - Use MULTI-BODY to create complex sweep paths

Unread post by TooTallToby »

New SolidWorks video dropped this morning on youtube - cool use of multi body for anyone who does wire forming or bending

Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: TIPS+TRICKS - Use MULTI-BODY to create complex sweep paths

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

TooTallToby wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:31 am New SolidWorks video dropped this morning on youtube - cool use of multi body for anyone who does wire forming or bending

That's a nice technique. I've never used it for sweeps, but I use a body to drive 3d sketches for weldments (one of the many things I've learned from @Alin over the years).

I didn't know about using the Delete button on my keyboard to delete the body. That's a nice tip, and thanks.

I am curious why you used a separate sketch for the sweep profile instead of selecting the "Circular Profile" option in the Sweep's property manager.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Krzysztof Szpakowski

Unread post by Krzysztof Szpakowski »

Well, unfortunately, not all that glitters is gold. Easy but... When the walls tilt (draft feature), the dimensions and arcs change. So the arcs will be elliptical and trigonometry must be used to convert the vertical dimensions. But in many cases it can be useful.
It is of course possible to use more steps to avoid these errors, but then it will probably be a waste of time.
len_1962

Unread post by len_1962 »

Krzysztof Szpakowski wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:50 pm Well, unfortunately, not all that glitters is gold. Easy but... When the walls tilt (draft feature), the dimensions and arcs change. So the arcs will be elliptical and trigonometry must be used to convert the vertical dimensions. But in many cases it can be useful.
It is of course possible to use more steps to avoid these errors, but then it will probably be a waste of time.
If he left off the fillets he could have made a 3D sketch converting the edges then add the rads to the 3D geom to get tru radius, another simple way.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Or forget about the common radii in the profile all together; add it to the sweep feature.

We used to be lazy and create profiles from a couple of cross curves, had similar problem; created "bends" that were not reality. We're doing better now.
Krzysztof Szpakowski

Unread post by Krzysztof Szpakowski »

len_1962 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:05 am If he left off the fillets he could have made a 3D sketch converting the edges then add the rads to the 3D geom to get tru radius, another simple way.
It's not just the arches that are a problem. The distance between the "Steps" is not the same as the length of the inclined sections. So if it still has to be "work a round", it is easier to do it in a different way.
image.png
Two selected lines not are equal. The problem will arise when you want the beveled edge to be 30 units
len_1962

Krzysztof Szpakowski wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:13 pm It's not just the arches that are a problem. The distance between the "Steps" is not the same as the length of the inclined sections. So if it still has to be "work a round", it is easier to do it in a different way.

image.png

Two selected lines not are equal. The problem will arise when you want the beveled edge to be 30 units
all depends on what is important in the design, the heights and angle and rads or the true lengths of the path.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Now that we've picked his video apart, I'd like to bring back to the surface the point that using multiple bodies to model one part/component can be a very robust option. I think understanding how the software computes these things so we understand why the "trick" works is as important as being able to predict the errors or pitfalls. Unfortunately, bullet proof examples are hard to come by as there's no single example part that exemplifies every requirement we've ever encountered collectively while not violating any of them.

I see this this over and over with CAD training; some students learn the examples then go home and just regurgitate without understanding. Others learn the principle the example is working to and continue to expand their understanding as they fine new places to apply it to, and places to avoid using it. Most the instructors I've heard/seen have so much "mental" muscle memory that they've forgotten the concepts that they they now practice subconsciously. So the novice has little awareness of all that logic being done in the instructors mind on the fly. Trying to unpack it all in lesson one will also be unhelpful. Instructing is difficult, especially to highly variegated groups.
len_1962

bnemec

WELL SAID! Aways takes a "CHEDDAR" to make sence of it all ;;