PDM, How to check in/undo checkout on all files in a duplicate (test) vault?

Installation, PDM, standards, training, support, part numbering, rev schemes, etc.
bnemec
Answers: 10

PDM, How to check in/undo checkout on all files in a duplicate (test) vault?

Unread post by bnemec »

I might be several steps past going wrong here, but I have a set of test servers that were duplicated from the production servers. They're all VMs. On the duplicate (test) vault there are a bunch of files checked out that I would like to get "checked in" so I can follow the instructions to rename the vault and do other setup stuff before testing upgrade.

The archive server has no files in the archives yet. I plan to use the "Collect Support Information" tool to pack out the needed archives for a few files from the production vault, not testing the entire dataset. Following this guide:
https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2011/ ... port-info/

I'm working through other guide(s) to change the server host names in the various places; archive setup, registries and SQL tables. I also need to change the vault name on the test vault but to do that I believe I need to have all the files checked in. I understand that's why the duplicate should be made when all the files are checked in on the production vault, but that's just not practical right now.

I have a vault view of the test vault on a client machine for testing, logged into the vault as admin I still cannot check in or undo checkout of files. I get expected errors that the file not found on the archive. Is my only option to copy the archives of the checked out files to the test archive server just so I can have them checked in? Or is there some way to force an undo checkout without archives? I just need the sql data to not have any files locked.

Thanks.
by AlexB » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:40 pm
I've duplicated our production vault but didn't bring any files with it. The only files I copied over were the add-ins from the vault\0\plugins folder in the archive server.

I was able to follow a tutorial I found where I create an empty vault and then restore the production database onto the new vault's database. I can then go through and update the names and other vault specific variables as well as delete the replication schema before spinning up the archive server process for it. This restores all of the files to the vault so that they're visible in the file explorer, however trying to access them in any way causes errors. So, using the Search Tool because it's way faster, I searched all files in the vault and deleted/destroyed everything in the results. Now I have an empty copy of the production vault with it's add-ins as well. At this point it's a good idea to back up your vault database.

Now, any new added files go through our workflows without issue.

Edit:
I was going to post a link but I can't for the life of me find the site. Disclaimer - this is all from my not very recent memory.
Steps Overview:
  • Create Empty vault
  • Access Empty vault Sql Database and record the following:
    • Table = dbo.SystemInfo, Settings to record: VaultName, VaultID, OrderData
    • Table = dbo.TmpStore, Setting to record: TimeStamp
  • Right click SQL database for empty vault and choose Tasks => Restore => Database
  • Browse to your (.bak) file and select it. On the options tab, choose the "Overwrite (WITH REPLACE)" option.
  • Once it's been restored, access the tables that we recorded data for earlier and restore the values for the 4 items to the recorded ones.
  • It may be necessary to delete the replication schema and other archive servers. (See link below)
  • Once that's done, you should be able to log in
See this link for deleting archive replication server info: https://www.goengineer.com/blog/remove- ... ive-server
See this link for elaboration on some of the aspects as they're similar to moving your database/archive: https://www.goengineer.com/blog/move-so ... components
Go to full post
AlexB
Answers: 24

Re: PDM, How to check in/undo checkout on all files in a duplicate (test) vault?

Unread post by AlexB »

I've duplicated our production vault but didn't bring any files with it. The only files I copied over were the add-ins from the vault\0\plugins folder in the archive server.

I was able to follow a tutorial I found where I create an empty vault and then restore the production database onto the new vault's database. I can then go through and update the names and other vault specific variables as well as delete the replication schema before spinning up the archive server process for it. This restores all of the files to the vault so that they're visible in the file explorer, however trying to access them in any way causes errors. So, using the Search Tool because it's way faster, I searched all files in the vault and deleted/destroyed everything in the results. Now I have an empty copy of the production vault with it's add-ins as well. At this point it's a good idea to back up your vault database.

Now, any new added files go through our workflows without issue.

Edit:
I was going to post a link but I can't for the life of me find the site. Disclaimer - this is all from my not very recent memory.
Steps Overview:
  • Create Empty vault
  • Access Empty vault Sql Database and record the following:
    • Table = dbo.SystemInfo, Settings to record: VaultName, VaultID, OrderData
    • Table = dbo.TmpStore, Setting to record: TimeStamp
  • Right click SQL database for empty vault and choose Tasks => Restore => Database
  • Browse to your (.bak) file and select it. On the options tab, choose the "Overwrite (WITH REPLACE)" option.
  • Once it's been restored, access the tables that we recorded data for earlier and restore the values for the 4 items to the recorded ones.
  • It may be necessary to delete the replication schema and other archive servers. (See link below)
  • Once that's done, you should be able to log in
See this link for deleting archive replication server info: https://www.goengineer.com/blog/remove- ... ive-server
See this link for elaboration on some of the aspects as they're similar to moving your database/archive: https://www.goengineer.com/blog/move-so ... components
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: PDM, How to check in/undo checkout on all files in a duplicate (test) vault?

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexB wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:40 pm I've duplicated our production vault but didn't bring any files with it. The only files I copied over were the add-ins from the vault\0\plugins folder in the archive server.
This was it. Once I copied that over I could access the search tool and do PDM operation on files. Without ...\archive\0\plugins\ the search cards were blank and no file operations would function.

Thank you!