Equations when creating mates

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Equations when creating mates

Unread post by SPerman »

Does anyone know if Solidworks is ever going to allow you to use equations when creating mates? It is a bunch of extra work to create the dimension. Then go and double click the dimension so you can point it to the variable. (And that step usually requires multiple attempts, because double clicking the wrong thing only lets you change the value, not enter the equation.)

I think someone (Josh maybe) said several years ago that they would be adding this functionality across the board over time, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Have they abandoned this for all the new bells and whistles?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
josh
Answers: 11

Re: Equations when creating mates

Unread post by josh »

You talking about distance mates and/or angle mates specifically?
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

josh wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:21 pm You talking about distance mates and/or angle mates specifically?
Yes. Those are the two I was using today.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

I don't have any idea what the implementation plan was beyond the fact that it had to be done on a feature-by-feature basis. I dunno if an ER/SPR specifically requesting mates be added to this would speed it up or not.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

As I'm sure you know, we can link to global variables directly in the property manager for some features and operations, and they have promised to add more, but I don't remember any new ones being added in recent years.
SPerman wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:39 pm Does anyone know if Solidworks is ever going to allow you to use equations when creating mates? It is a bunch of extra work to create the dimension. Then go and double click the dimension so you can point it to the variable. (And that step usually requires multiple attempts, because double clicking the wrong thing only lets you change the value, not enter the equation.)

I think someone (Josh maybe) said several years ago that they would be adding this functionality across the board over time, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Have they abandoned this for all the new bells and whistles?
Turning off Instant3D will fix that. You will need to do a rebuild after linking to the variable after doing so, but it eliminates the problem of getting just the box to change the value instead of the full dimension dialog box.

By the way, I like Instant3D, and keep it turned on, but I will occasionally turn it off temporarily in situations like this.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I figured out that I can just paste the value ("=Foo") when I get the text box only, which is quicker than using the dropdown. You can also paste into the window with the dropdown. You can't paste the value in the property manager. It gives you a messages stating "please enter a number..."

ETA:
I did some research into instant 3d, and do not see anything I typically use. I went to turn it off, but it appears to only be available through the command manager, and I must have deleted that button.
image.png
image.png (4.34 KiB) Viewed 438 times
-
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

SPerman wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:21 pm ETA:
I did some research into instant 3d, and do not see anything I typically use. I went to turn it off, but it appears to only be available through the command manager, and I must have deleted that button.
image.png
You might be able to turn it off and on with a keyboard shortcut. I haven't tried it, but it looks like it would work.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

SPerman wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:21 pm I figured out that I can just paste the value ("=Foo") when I get the text box only, which is quicker than using the dropdown. You can also paste into the window with the dropdown. You can't paste the value in the property manager. It gives you a messages stating "please enter a number..."

ETA:
image.png
Warning, frenchness ahead
image.png
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I've customized the UI quite a bit, so I've made that button go away at some point.

After further investigation, I do use instant 3d to edit sketch dimensions without editing the sketch. (At least I think that is an instant 3d function. The example they shown on the help site emphasises grabbing and dragging, which i don't do. Maybe it is because I started with autocad, but I like entering discrete values, not dragging a face until it looks good.
-