Autodesk buys a cloud PLM

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
Ry-guy
Answers: 1

Autodesk buys a cloud PLM

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Well, here's some news on a smaller PLM company that just got gobbled up by Autodesk. Interesting that Autodesk had to go buy one!https://techcrunch.com/2021/04/15/autod ... iiQBzT9Wo4
zxys001
Answers: 4

Re: Autodesk buys a cloud PLM

Unread post by zxys001 »

Ry-guy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:28 pm Well, here's some news on a smaller PLM company that just got gobbled up by Autodesk. Interesting that Autodesk had to go buy one!https://techcrunch.com/2021/04/15/autod ... iiQBzT9Wo4
..it's nice to have 1 billion in your pocket... geezus.
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

zxys001 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:47 pm
Ry-guy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:28 pm Well, here's some news on a smaller PLM company that just got gobbled up by Autodesk. Interesting that Autodesk had to go buy one!https://techcrunch.com/2021/04/15/autod ... iiQBzT9Wo4
..it's nice to have 1 billion in your pocket... geezus.
Sure thing...you should talk to Dassault and see what they are doing with the SW maintenance these days...I'm sure that quite a chunk of change sitting around doing nothing..oh, yeah they are building out 3DEXPERIENCE with that money! ;;
Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

they (SolidWorks) are also creating new-unfinished-features, re-opening old bugs, create new ones
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Not sure what Upchain PLM brings to the table when they show you nothing about it. Just cute animated virtual personas and fancy buzzwords with happy thoughts and reasons why your current PDM/PLM sucks and they are you're savior. Why can't they just show the software?

Jason
georgebirch
Answers: 0

Unread post by georgebirch »

Is anyone here using Upchain as a PDM system? Can anyone direct me to any objective, in depth review from a CAD user?
Brian-M

Unread post by Brian-M »

I'm looking into Upchain. We have PDM Professional, but it doesn't seem like it's ever going to be as good as I want it to for remote workers on VPN. There is more content available about Upchain these days.
I really like it when help files are freely available: https://help.autodesk.com/view/UPCHN/ENU/
It's supposed to be for all major CAD systems, but before Autodesk bought it most of their demos where focused on Solidworks

(these are probably forgotten videos, buried treasure)
Autodesk actually reduced the price, to $2000/year per named CAD User ("Upchain Professional").
A newer Autodesk created video:
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Brian-M wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:49 am Autodesk actually reduced the price, to $2000/year per named CAD User ("Upchain Professional").
Very clean UI, I like it so far. But that $2000k a year for each named user would be cost prohibitive for us......we have 100 floating CAD user licenses in PDM for around $350 per license....shared amongst 150 CAD users. Add in some server costs and it may go up to $500 per license.

That said, this product looks very similar to the SolidWorks Manage product but hosted in the cloud with a cleaner UI for managing the CAD files. I'm guessing the CAD connector has a hidden cache somewhere on the hard drive invisible to the user. Let us know what you find out.
Jason
Brian-M

Unread post by Brian-M »

Oh yeah, you are at a size where it doesn't make sense, and you can support more of an IT team, etc. We are smaller.
I like to be able to do as much as possible without IT involvement, so that is one appeal of Upchain.
Team users are about $900/year. Participant is $360. I think they still have free View only (after some threshold of cost).
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Brian-M wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:49 am I'm looking into Upchain. We have PDM Professional, but it doesn't seem like it's ever going to be as good as I want it to for remote workers on VPN. There is more content available about Upchain these days.
I really like it when help files are freely available: https://help.autodesk.com/view/UPCHN/ENU/
It's supposed to be for all major CAD systems, but before Autodesk bought it most of their demos where focused on Solidworks

(these are probably forgotten videos, buried treasure)
Autodesk actually reduced the price, to $2000/year per named CAD User ("Upchain Professional").
A newer Autodesk created video:
I really can't lie, it looks pretty good. ( just can not stand Ade$k)
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau