groups?

Make suggestion to the moderators and admins of this site.
bnemec
Answers: 10

groups?

Unread post by bnemec »

Hi @matt I see there's a groups function on my profile page. Is that just an Admin/moderator thing or can we group ourselves?

I ask because it would be need to know in people's posts if they use PDM, so all of use that are subject to PDM could be in that group. There could be a CAD/PDM Admin group for those suckers. Also, and the reason I'm asking, a group for "my models live forever" people.

Example, although the responses are well meaning and genuine, but say a PDM user is asking about custom properties someone that's never used PDM might mislead them into manually editing attributes that are mapped to data card variables.
matt
Answers: 18

Re: groups?

Unread post by matt »

The groups function is really meant to assign permissions, like you do in pdm. In fact, this whole admin backside is very much like pdm. Minus the files. Mostly just meta data and permissions.

Right now I'm just using two groups - admin and registered users. I'm thinking of re-instating the newly registered users group for security reasons.

Because it's tied to permissions, we can't really use it for other purposes, but I'll keep my eye out for something that will do that, even a hashtag that can attach to users.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:57 pm The groups function is really meant to assign permissions, like you do in pdm. In fact, this whole admin backside is very much like pdm. Minus the files. Mostly just meta data and permissions.

Right now I'm just using two groups - admin and registered users. I'm thinking of re-instating the newly registered users group for security reasons.

Because it's tied to permissions, we can't really use it for other purposes, but I'll keep my eye out for something that will do that, even a hashtag that can attach to users.
Thanks for the clarification Matt. Don't spend time on it on my account. I wasn't looking for new functionality, more like if it was there an not used. I wouldn't bother, unless a bunch of other users jump in and comment that this sort of function would be good.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

matt wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:57 pm The groups function is really meant to assign permissions, like you do in pdm. In fact, this whole admin backside is very much like pdm. Minus the files. Mostly just meta data and permissions.

What about something like this? https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/find ... 5D=71&sc=1

Description is a little vague as to whether anyone can apply icons to their profile or if it can be limited to only certain people, IE the Admin assigning icons, colors etc
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

MJuric wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 pm

What about something like this? https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/find ... 5D=71&sc=1

Description is a little vague as to whether anyone can apply icons to their profile or if it can be limited to only certain people, IE the Admin assigning icons, colors etc
Yes! @matt, I'd like my color to be purple, and then you could add an "unsarc" tag that I could use in the unlikely event that I need it...