Be Active - please...

Several announcements for new users.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Re: Be Active - or else...

Unread post by DennisD »

matt wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:30 am Don't worry. I'm only worried about accounts that have never posted anything clearly relevant. You're definitely OK.
Well, that requires a definition of "relevant" now doesn't it.

It is Monday. . .
image.png
image.png (33.78 KiB) Viewed 7624 times
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Emra
Answers: 0

Unread post by Emra »

Hi all!

Solidworks user and accidental company CAD/PDM admin here. I'm a long-time lurker of the old SW forums, and am very excited to see this new site since the old one died. Also I am definitely a real person and not a bot; please don't kick me?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

SPerman wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:52 amimage.png
image.png
image.png (33.51 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
This is offensive to AI.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Emra wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:27 pm Hi all!

Solidworks user and accidental company CAD/PDM admin here. I'm a long-time lurker of the old SW forums, and am very excited to see this new site since the old one died. Also I am definitely a real person and not a bot; please don't kick me?
Don't worry, I only kick out people who spell Solidworks with all caps. :D
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Emra wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:27 pm Hi all!

That's exactly what a bot would say...@matt, ya may want to kick @Emra out...
matt

Unread post by matt »

mattpeneguy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:09 am That's exactly what a bot would say...@matt, ya may want to kick @Emra out...
It's a good thing I didn't make you a moderator.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

injure-a-human-being-or-through-inaction-allow-a-human-34635925.png
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

matt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:21 am It's a good thing I didn't make you a moderator.
You just now figured that out?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
dgrippin

Unread post by dgrippin »

Roger that,
I'm an Electrical Systems Manuf. Engineer for a microwave antenna/satellite antenna positioning systems manufacturer in NC. I use both Draftsight and Solidworks daily. Still trying to get the best performance out of SW, even after almost 1 year with it. They hooked me up with a powerful PC, but I still get hang ups pretty frequently. Where do I start looking?
Glenn Schroeder

dgrippin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:46 pm Roger that,
I'm an Electrical Systems Manuf. Engineer for a microwave antenna/satellite antenna positioning systems manufacturer in NC. I use both Draftsight and Solidworks daily. Still trying to get the best performance out of SW, even after almost 1 year with it. They hooked me up with a powerful PC, but I still get hang ups pretty frequently. Where do I start looking?
That's a pretty general question. You might have better luck posting a specific question (unless I'm completely misunderstanding something).
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

matt

Unread post by matt »

dgrippin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:46 pm Roger that,
One year isn't a lot. There's a pile of stuff in the software, and after almost 30, I still don't know everything (and I've forgotten half of what I did know). Coming here is a good start. Ask questions that confuse you. Read Mastering Solidworks, but seriously, there's a lot of good stuff in there, not just the stuff from the SW training.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Hopefully this doesn't come across as snarky. As far as Solidworks is concerned, lower your expectations. It is slow on the best hardware. It crashes / hangs fairly regularly. A lot of this can be avoided by following better practices, but even then, it has issues.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

SPerman wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:19 am Hopefully this doesn't come across as snarky. As far as Solidworks is concerned, lower your expectations. It is slow on the best hardware. It crashes / hangs fairly regularly. A lot of this can be avoided by following better practices, but even then, it has issues.
Customer: "It's slow and doesn't work right."

VAR: "Oh, your not doing it right you have to use a different workflow. It's as simple as remodeling everything."
Customer: o[ grumph :x

Edit: This why they don't specify a best workflow.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I was told that in order to make pack and go work properly, we had to completely redo our folder structure. (To one that is not possible in our organization.)
1. Pack and go works best when no more than 3 folders separate the top level assembly from the furthest away component. This 3 level folder separation must be done vertically in the directory tree. Similar to the example below
.....a. Top level
.........i. Sub assy 1
.........ii. Sub assy 2
............1. Sub assy 2.1
2. Pack and go usually has difficulty with success if it has to navigate out of the top level folder into another main directory or over a network to gather all parts
(ignore all of the periods. That is the only way I could get the indentation to layout properly on the fourm.)
-
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:25 am I was told that in order to make pack and go work properly, we had to completely redo our folder structure. (To one that is not possible in our organization.)

(ignore all of the periods. That is the only way I could get the indentation to layout properly on the fourm.)
I'm surprised to see that. Pack and Go works just fine for me, and I often have project specific files on one network drive and my library parts and sub-assemblies on another one.

matt

Re: Be Active - please...

Unread post by matt »

Ok, the "or else" was a bit much, so I changed that. Unless you're using the Breeze theme, in which case you may never see the change.
jwelihin

Unread post by jwelihin »

Hi there,

Looking for places to learn about how to work with CAD and not finding answers on Reddit. Thought this would be great - so far, learning a ton. As we speak, I'm designing my new shed in AutoCAD :P

J
Cadmonkeychris

Unread post by Cadmonkeychris »

I was wondering where the familiar names of CAD past had disappeared to following the demise of the SW boards (enough has been written about that).

22 years of SWx including 16 as a freelancer, now considering something new (to be posted in the Agnostic board)
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Cadmonkeychris wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:05 pm I was wondering where the familiar names of CAD past had disappeared to following the demise of the SW boards (enough has been written about that).

22 years of SWx including 16 as a freelancer, now considering something new (to be posted in the Agnostic board)
A few of them just didn't have the same feeling on here as they had on the previous SW Boards, unfortunately. But, for the most part the community is still thriving.