Watercooler Talk

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Watercooler Talk

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Creating this thread for watercooler discussions and what-not.

If you'd rather not have a thread meant only for chit-chat then I would understand.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Re: Watercooler Talk

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Its that time of year again. The Promise production is going on right now.

Here is the website for those of you who are interested.
https://newhope.cc/thepromise/

We are performing live and live streaming it and professionally filming it this year.

TL/DR:

I am in a play this year! This is my costume. Watch it if you can.
Promise Costume.jpg
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

dpihlaja wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:31 am I am in a play this year! This is my costume. Watch it if you can.
Promise Costume.jpg
Nice, you look the part.....beard does the job :)
Jason
DanPihlaja

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:45 am
dpihlaja wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:31 am I am in a play this year! This is my costume. Watch it if you can.
Promise Costume.jpg
Nice, you look the part.....beard does the job :)
Thanks! Many of the other years, I have played Peter. This year, I am playing Caiaphas (the High Priest) . However, Peter is a role that I can't do this year due to time constraints.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

AlexLachance

dpihlaja wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:31 am Its that time of year again. The Promise production is going on right now.

We are performing live and live streaming it and professionally filming it this year.

TL/DR:

Promise Costume.jpg
Geez Dan, never thought I'd see you dressed like that :lol:
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

Here's an explanation for visitors who may be unfamiliar with SWIFT. It's (currently) in the title of this subforum. What is SWIFT?

Taken from the old KD, SWIFT = SolidWorks International Forum Team . It is a userbase-generated title for regular members who offer wisdom and advice, and answer other users' questions. There's a "badge" image that @Roasted By John designed.

It could be argued that this is now a vague misnomer, or at very least will be odd to continue to use outside of the official SWx Forum as it is.
I feel that the badge is intended to honor helpers, and lives on outside of scope. You may disagree.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

We need a new acronym IMHO.

SToFU ......Support Team of Forum Users

:lol:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Unread post by Roasted By John »

It'll be SWIFT for a long time.. only guessing
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
mike miller

Roasted By John wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:11 pm It'll be SWIFT for a long time.. only guessing
Sorry, I forgot to use my sarcasm font.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

maybe we should merge the two thread into one only ?
Jokes Thread (Keep it Clean) + Watercooler Talk

to have only one thread for : general discuss, internet meme, funny gif, internet news, etc...
mike miller

Wow. This site is actually getting more traffic than the the official forum.

It's pretty much just the 3DSwamp thread and the Kiddy Dump that keep circling the toilet bowl before they go down. :lol:

I wonder what this will look like by April 2nd.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

mike miller wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:14 pm Wow. This site is actually getting more traffic than the the official forum.
I'd like to discuss the future. I'd really appreciate some feedback, and eventually some teamwork to make this place useful.
I'm sorry if this is too superserious for Watercooler Talk, and maybe this discussion belongs somewhere else.

We need Noobs. Noobs asking ridiculous questions and asking us to do their homework. OK, I joke a little. We still need noobs. Questions and answers = content.

The users here that have joined, in response to what's been going on where we were, are mostly experts. Having a place to chat among experts is one thing, but few of us normally have a question or a problem that we can't solve or find out on our own how to solve.

The owners of the old forum and their VARs are never ever going to direct new users here. They'll scrub mentions of this forum from the data that will transfer to 3DSwym. After that, what? How will those who do not know this is here find us?

I have a few ideas, and as usual they're not all great. Bad ones reinforce a better one.
Promotions: advertising ($$$), search engine optimization (I assume has reasonably been filled in), networking (word of mouth), cross-link efforts / incentives
Content. Content. Content. Content.
Google: our eggs - in that basket - right?

We already talked about money in another thread. Money is super useful for buying goods and services to achieve a goal.

It has been 20 yr since I did SEO promotions, but iirc Google still ranks content by reputation as well as content. Reputation represents popularity in the sense that many other sites will link to this site. This currently does not exist, and will not exist unless we make it so. This is the intent of what I mention above as cross-link efforts. We could have a reciprocal link page if that even helps anymore - I feel so Web 1.0 right now.

Without some legit content, we aren't going to have the content portion of Google results to attract users.
It will surely take us some time to populate content of our own without noobs asking questions. We can do that. It'd be a large effort, and I would hate to see that effort amount to nothing within a few months.

Furthermore, this is nobody's job. See above about money. Any effort should not be the burden of one or a few users, but shared somewhat by the strong members of the team. No one needs a new hobby to burn out on.

And lastly for now, when we do get questions and answer them, please keep it professional, for the love of ortho. The very last thing we need is a visitor to write us off because of snark and nonsense in a technical topic. We do have off-topic areas for that stuff. You can discuss a silly thing there, referencing context with a link, and keep the context itself unspoiled. I take this one on the chin, because admittedly I do love me some snark and nonsense. See above about money.

I kinda feel like we've had our equal and opposite reaction moment to some bad news. Once that's passed, what vector are we even on: where's this going? I'd rather consider this ahead of time, than have regrets in retrospect.
mike miller

Tom G wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am <snipped long post to save vertical space>
I agree 100%. As @josh said, a good forum needs both gurus and noobs. With only noobs, you have a prime example of the blind leading the blind. With only gurus, they end up sitting around comparing the lengths of their beards.

I've got a few ideas for starters:
  • Evangelize on Reddit, Facebook groups, LinkedIn, etc. Post links to previous topics with good content to draw more people. I don't have access to any of those so you'll have to do it. I know @mattpeneguy has been doing some already.
  • Start asking questions about things, even if you think you know the answer. You would be surprised how many different schools of thought are out there, and you will learn something new. This generates content for both the previous point and Google.
  • Targeted advertising to draw traffic. Schools are excellent for this. We need a lot more people like @The Cad Lad and Clark Jacobs to ask a ton of questions!
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Tom G wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am
mike miller wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:14 pm Wow. This site is actually getting more traffic than the the official forum.
I'd like to discuss the future. I'd really appreciate some feedback, and eventually some teamwork to make this place useful.
I'm sorry if this is too superserious for Watercooler Talk, and maybe this discussion belongs somewhere else.

We need Noobs. Noobs asking ridiculous questions and asking us to do their homework. OK, I joke a little. We still need noobs. Questions and answers = content.
I'm way ahead of you, I got this covered! I might be able to single handedly fulfill this sites' noob needs until 4/2.
Tom G wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am The owners of the old forum and their VARs are never ever going to direct new users here. They'll scrub mentions of this forum from the data that will transfer to 3DSwym. After that, what? How will those who do not know this is here find us?
Just my thoughts, but...:
1) If you build it, they will come. ...oh, wait, that's not my thought, I stole it. but you get the idea. Focus on making something good and if there's actually a need people will come. Conversely, Focus only on convincing people you have something they cannot live without instead of making it some thing good, the savvy consumers will ignore you. Also, forum people will laugh at you. (just my observation)

2) Be accessible; make is visible to those who are already looking. I can only guess there are some realatively low cost ways to get Googlebots' attention. My assumption is that Google wants to provide the best search results to their users, so if there's good content Google will want to be the leader in getting people to that site. If you hide the content behind logins that don't work and don't provide a clear path for search indexing bots then there will be crickets.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Tom G wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am

The users here that have joined, in response to what's been going on where we were, are mostly experts. Having a place to chat among experts is one thing, but few of us normally have a question or a problem that we can't solve or find out on our own how to solve.

The owners of the old forum and their VARs are never ever going to direct new users here. They'll scrub mentions of this forum from the data that will transfer to 3DSwym. After that, what? How will those who do not know this is here find us?

I have a few ideas, and as usual they're not all great. Bad ones reinforce a better one.
Promotions: advertising ($$$), search engine optimization (I assume has reasonably been filled in), networking (word of mouth), cross-link efforts / incentives
Content. Content. Content. Content.
Google: our eggs - in that basket - right?

We already talked about money in another thread. Money is super useful for buying goods and services to achieve a goal.

It has been 20 yr since I did SEO promotions, but iirc Google still ranks content by reputation as well as content. Reputation represents popularity in the sense that many other sites will link to this site. This currently does not exist, and will not exist unless we make it so. This is the intent of what I mention above as cross-link efforts. We could have a reciprocal link page if that even helps anymore - I feel so Web 1.0 right now.

Without some legit content, we aren't going to have the content portion of Google results to attract users.
It will surely take us some time to populate content of our own without noobs asking questions. We can do that. It'd be a large effort, and I would hate to see that effort amount to nothing within a few months.

Furthermore, this is nobody's job. See above about money. Any effort should not be the burden of one or a few users, but shared somewhat by the strong members of the team. No one needs a new hobby to burn out on.

And lastly for now, when we do get questions and answer them, please keep it professional, for the love of ortho. The very last thing we need is a visitor to write us off because of snark and nonsense in a technical topic. We do have off-topic areas for that stuff. You can discuss a silly thing there, referencing context with a link, and keep the context itself unspoiled. I take this one on the chin, because admittedly I do love me some snark and nonsense. See above about money.

I kinda feel like we've had our equal and opposite reaction moment to some bad news. Once that's passed, what vector are we even on: where's this going? I'd rather consider this ahead of time, than have regrets in retrospect.
Tom, yes, I agree, we need noobs. College kids are sent directly to the SW site. When that becomes inscrutable, hopefully this site will start popping up.

Just a couple of things:
  • My vision for this place is A) a place full of great content and great experts and B) a place you can go to discuss stuff when there aren't any real answers (like "What are the advantages/disadvantages of synchronous?")
  • I am working on a revenue stream. Talking to sponsors. If you have people you think might want to advertise and it's a relevant topic, please send them my way.
  • The best thing we can do to promote the site is writing great content. We can pose interesting questions, and discuss them.
  • SEO can be useful, but the main things we have to know about getting Google ranked are: external links, important keywords associated with the site (so name your images with something relevant, avoid abbreviations - use SolidWorks instead of SW [I know I'm guilty of this], use keywords in subjects and repeat them in the body of your post.) Good content trumps everything else, because that draws people naturally.
  • Link to other sites with high rankings (including social media) especially ones that might link back. We might get noticed by some industry or media wonks, published on a blog or interviewed by Connie Chung or something like that. When Al Dean tweeted about this place last week, we got a lot of Twitter traffic.
  • You all have done an awesome job already with mentions and links on the SolidWorks forum. It's fun to watch the member count go up and up.
  • Keep the suggestions coming. It does get frustrating for me sometimes repeating myself, repeating myself, or trying to field conflicting requests, or stuff that's impossible right now, or even sometimes repeating myself, but I can deal with that. I'm a trained expert in the field of frustration.
  • I will be looking for help at some point, probably a couple of moderators. Not yet. I see that some of you don't have day jobs because you're posting all the time...
  • My style is being open, maybe too open. Feel free to talk to me. Email, pm, skype, LinkedIn, etc...
  • Thanks for everything you all have done to get us this far!
    file.gif
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Looks like I got the privilege of being one of the few noobs on this forum! ;)
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
jcapriotti

matt wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:10 am
Tom, yes, I agree, we need noobs. College kids are sent directly to the SW site. When that becomes inscrutable, hopefully this site will start popping up.
I see a lot of the college kids posting questions on Reddit. They probably already have Reddit accounts for other things. So there chance to find this forum is as good as 3dswym if they bother.
matt wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:10 am [*] I will be looking for help at some point, probably a couple of moderators. Not yet. I see that some of you don't have day jobs because you're posting all the time...
High level global meetings on Windchill can get quite.......boring. ;)
Jason
mike miller

YAY! We've got another good one. Artem the macro guru is here.

Welcome to the community, @artem !
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 pm ...
High level global meetings on Windchill can get quite.......boring. ;)
Glad to see a Windchill user here...
At least now i know who i can rant together with :P
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
jcapriotti

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:55 am Glad to see a Windchill user here...
At least now i know who i can rant together with :P
No doubt, we tell each other it's gonna be ok then go cry in our beer.
Jason
AlexLachance

image.png
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

I had been reading some random stuff today and come across this...

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/20 ... 00636.html

Maybe we should consider send one to DSS HQ? :P
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
DanPihlaja

dpihlaja wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:31 am Its that time of year again. The Promise production is going on right now.

TL/DR:

Promise Costume.jpg

Tonight is opening night!! 7:30 PM EST
Live stream is happening at https://newhope.cc/thepromise/
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

AlexLachance

Dang dude, I just noticed you're having 6 representations. Grats and GL!
DanPihlaja

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:07 am Dang dude, I just noticed you're having 6 representations. Grats and GL!
Thanks. Super excited!!
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

DanPihlaja

dpihlaja wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:04 am

TL/DR:

Promise Costume.jpg

Tonight is opening night!! 7:30 PM EST
Live stream is happening at https://newhope.cc/thepromise/

image.png

This is what I just got from the Producer of the show:

ALL Performances are LIVE - in the time presented - the final - Cinematic ONLINE only - Sunday will be available after that time for 1 week - So Easter Sunday 4/4 - 3pm showing will stay available - all others are ONLY available at their showtimes--

To explain this:

The professionally filmed version will be available online at 3PM Easter Sunday and will be available for 1 week.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

AlexLachance

Hey Dan

I always wondered how your name spelled out. I remember someone asked you but I don't remember the answer you gave.

Is it Dan Pea -hlah - jah
or
is it Dan Pie -hlah - jah

Or am I completely off? What are the origins of that name?Greek? I think I've asked you that before lol
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

DanPihlaja

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:10 pm Hey Dan

I always wondered how your name spelled out. I remember someone asked you but I don't remember the answer you gave.

Is it Dan Pea -hlah - jah
or
is it Dan Pie -hlah - jah

Or am I completely off? What are the origins of that name?Greek? I think I've asked you that before lol
It is FInnish, and means Mountain Ash Tree (or Rowan).

Here is how I tell people to pronounce it:
Say the word "pig"
Now replace the g with an h (and actually pronounce the h)
Now say the word la-ya (Literally the La from the song in the "sound of music" movie)
Now put the two together, but like they are 2 separate words

Pih Laja
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

mike miller

Vat's up wit dis?

2021-03-25 17_26_57.jpg
matt

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:28 pm Vat's up wit dis?

2021-03-25 17_26_57.jpg
Svetlana has multiple but similar emails. And shows up on some spammer dbs.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

I just love it when I'm investigating a new product line, a new MFR / vendor, a new set of components to gather, and that MFR already has error-free STEP files to import. I can even defeature with Delete Face (and patch).

For record, new to sanitary piping fittings, Dixon / Bradford is MFR, and only a handful of components so far. I love finding manufacturers supportive of design.
AlexLachance

Good morning everyone,

Short week for me this week with easter around the corner. Finishing at noon on thursday and will be off until next tuesday. A few days off certainly won't hurt.

Hope everyone has a good one!
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Wow....
I open the "old" forum this morning and ....
image.png
jcapriotti

John has been busy.
Jason
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

It will REDIRECT or so they say....
image.png
Rob
Answers: 2

Unread post by Rob »

re: forum growth

Probably the smartest guy on the old forum was artem.
Not just for his astounding knowledge and incredible generosity in sharing it..

..but he often used to answer forum questions with a link to his own blog.

We can all do the same.

Got a problem you need to send to your VAR?
  • write it up here and send them the link.
  • see an interesting question at another place do the same.
The point is who owns and controls the content - why give away to a corporation that which was altruistically given?
Rob
Answers: 2

Unread post by Rob »

ooh just noticed I am not alone the Bing Bot is here
image.png
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Rob wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:48 am ooh just noticed I am not alone the Bing Bot is here

image.png
At least you have some company. I'm all alone at 6:00 am.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Steven Billeter

Unread post by Steven Billeter »

Just tried to get to the new forum and got a blank page
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

I am amazed at how we are doing so far
image.png
AlexLachance

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:27 am I am amazed at how we are doing so far
image.png
Over 50 new members since last week, that's pretty good!
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Unread post by Roasted By John »

Rob wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:32 am re: forum growth

Probably the smartest guy on the old forum was artem.
Not just for his astounding knowledge and incredible generosity in sharing it..

..but he often used to answer forum questions with a link to his own blog.

We can all do the same.

Got a problem you need to send to your VAR?
  • write it up here and send them the link.
  • see an interesting question at another place do the same.
The point is who owns and controls the content - why give away to a corporation that which was altruistically given?
No question on that Rob, but I will say you've kept company with Artem, not a lot difference IMHO :)
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
DanPihlaja

TL/DR:

Promise Costume.jpg
So the play is over....but you can still watch it this week online if you wish!!
Just head over to newhope.cc/thepromise

Here is a pic from one of the scenes
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

I don't know if this belongs somewhere in the rules discussion.
nologicalfallacies.png
AlexLachance

Tom G wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:36 pm I don't know if this belongs somewhere in the rules discussion.

nologicalfallacies.png
It's a shame the picture got resized because I would love to read it!
AlexLachance

dpihlaja wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:29 amSo the play is over....but you can still watch it this week online if you wish!!

image.png
So how did it go Dan? Looks like you're doing a great acting job from that picture.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:38 pm
Tom G wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:36 pm I don't know if this belongs somewhere in the rules discussion.

nologicalfallacies.png
It's a shame the picture got resized because I would love to read it!
Thanks Alex. I didn't dog food that properly.
I found some hi-res images of that. I could not attach them.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0318/ ... 1581331579
at: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Digging for that, I also located No Cognitive Bias:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0318/ ... 1581337338
at: https://yourbias.is/

It is still pretty fine print, but zoomable.
DanPihlaja

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:40 pm
dpihlaja wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:29 amSo the play is over....but you can still watch it this week online if you wish!!

image.png
So how did it go Dan? Looks like you're doing a great acting job from that picture.
Went very well! 6 showings was a bit exhausting, and it was really hard on my voice, but we got through it.

The kids loved being in it!

In fact, my parents came down last week and saw the show. They were sitting in the front of the rear section of the seating. When Jesus is carrying his cross and the guards are whipping him, they go by right in front of where my parents were sitting. When Jesus fell and Simon came to pick up the cross, in the midst of the transfer, they bumped the cross into my mom's knee. Its pretty heavy and she walked away with a limp for an hour or so....but she's ok. LOL
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

AlexLachance

dpihlaja wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:26 pmWent very well! 6 showings was a bit exhausting, and it was really hard on my voice, but we got through it.

The kids loved being in it!

In fact, my parents came down last week and saw the show. They were sitting in the front of the rear section of the seating. When Jesus is carrying his cross and the guards are whipping him, they go by right in front of where my parents were sitting. When Jesus fell and Simon came to pick up the cross, in the midst of the transfer, they bumped the cross into my mom's knee. Its pretty heavy and she walked away with a limp for an hour or so....but she's ok. LOL
Awesome buddy, glad everything went well and that you were even able to have your family attend it. Your mom's been blessed by a touch of the cross :lol: