Watercooler Talk

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Re: Watercooler Talk

Unread post by CarrieIves »

It was 31 C (89 F) here on Friday. We have a freeze warning overnight. I was late leaving the house this morning because I didn't plan to deal with frost on the windshield. Looks like we get a few days of fall this week. It's currently 16 C (61F) and sunny. Looks like it should be a good night to trick or treat.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

CarrieIves wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:02 pm It was 31 C (89 F) here on Friday. We have a freeze warning overnight. I was late leaving the house this morning because I didn't plan to deal with frost on the windshield. Looks like we get a few days of fall this week. It's currently 16 C (61F) and sunny. Looks like it should be a good night to trick or treat.
Lucky you :P Most people trick or treated in cars here cause it was -5C (20F)
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Y'all keep that white stuff up there where it belongs. I'd be just fine with it never getting below 40°F here.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Glenn Schroeder

CarrieIves wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:02 pm It was 31 C (89 F) here on Friday. We have a freeze warning overnight. I was late leaving the house this morning because I didn't plan to deal with frost on the windshield. Looks like we get a few days of fall this week. It's currently 16 C (61F) and sunny. Looks like it should be a good night to trick or treat.
Do you mean we got a few days of winter this week, instead of fall? At least that's what it seems like to me. Of course we will be back to summer this weekend.

That reminds me of a lady I knew years ago in Houston who was originally from England. She said "Texas only has two seasons; summer and February."
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

This was the view from my dad's front porch yesterday morning:
MicrosoftTeams-image (19).png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Unread post by CarrieIves »

@Glenn Schroeder Maybe because of the chill, we might get more colors than just yellow here when the leaves change. (Our leaves have just started changing here in the Dallas area. And yes, we do have trees.)

I was able to wear my cape last night when walking with the kids trick-or-treating. @AlexLachance I'm sorry it was so cold to make trick-or-treat unpleasant.
ctsturdiv
Answers: 0

Unread post by ctsturdiv »

Got down to 36 degrees last night. Have heaters going full blast and all three dogs in the bed.
May not be bad compared to where some people are, but I live in a place where if even an inch of snow appears, they shut everything down and declare emergencies.

Have like a project I need to finish that is a conversion of an old 1980s era 2D drawing to 2020s era AutoCAD. The annotations alone will take a minute and it is due Saturday at midnight and I have been lollygagging.

Probably get more coffee, chat with the wife when she gets up before she goes to work, then start plugging away. I have the structure of it, just neeed to xref the nozzles and make detail views. Then it's annotationland and I'll throw on some chillwave and grind it out.
Ömür Tokman
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

One day, while a man was walking on the road, his foot hit something. He got curious and picked it up. While he was cleaning the lamp, an angry genie came out of the lamp and said to the man; "I'm very angry today and I'm only giving you one wish, wish what you want and let me go."
The man gets happy and says! "I have wanted to go on holiday for years, but I am afraid of getting on a ship or plane! Build me a highway that will extend from in front of my house to the holiday resort. Let me go on holiday with my car whenever I want."
Genie: Do you know what you want? Even I can't do this, ask me for something else!
Man: Okay! I've been married 5 times and divorced all 5 wives! Every woman I divorced said the same thing to me. "You never understood me!"
Give me the strength to understand women!
Genie: He thinks for a while, takes a step back and asks the man;
How many lanes should the highway have?
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Ömür Tokman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:14 am One day, while a man was walking on the road, his foot hit something. He got curious and picked it up. While he was cleaning the lamp, an angry genie came out of the lamp and said to the man; "I'm very angry today and I'm only giving you one wish, wish what you want and let me go."
I wish you won't get angry forever.
AlexLachance

"No more available" :lol:
image.png
ctsturdiv

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:05 am "No more available" :lol:

image.png
Looks like someone offshored...
AlexLachance

Still designing new stuff!
image.png
40' long trailer with a stabilizer and a high lift dump tailgate.
Frederick_Law

Cool!
Better than cleaning up someone else's dump.
ctsturdiv

Building up the motivation to draw this complicated vessel and type out the P+ID final.

They gave us weeks to do them on purpose. Complicated as hell with lots of ticky details. Don't want a repeat of last project when I turned in rushed work.

But... procrastination is hard not to do.

Probably start Monday. But will have to go to Dad's house Thanksgiving coming up. It will be the first Thanksgiving without my mom, since she passed this summer. My adult daughter, in her awesomeness, is cooking for us.

Then have the second semester in the record books by first week of December.

Can not wait for Plant Equipment and Revit and Intro to Disciplines I.
Frederick_Law

My Discord got hacked.
Don't reply to any message it's send.
AlexLachance

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:48 pm My Discord got hacked.
Don't reply to any message it's send.
One of my collegues clicked on some phishing mail 2 weeks ago and had us black listed, we got cleared last thursday and boy was that a pain in the arse.

Hope you don't have too much trouble with this
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:00 pm One of my collegues clicked on some phishing mail 2 weeks ago and had us black listed, we got cleared last thursday and boy was that a pain in the arse.

No, the only issue I've had was years ago when I allowed a student worker to plug her hard drive into my computer to download some files from our network drive. Not long after that I and one of the engineers had a virus (that thankfully didn't hurt anything). I'm sure it was just a coincidence, but she had plugged it into his also.

Since that one experience I don't let anyone do anything similar. We have cameras for clients to use for taking photos of their test installations. We then review the pictures, remove any they took that they shouldn't have, and then download them onto a flash drive. Back when it was my job to do that they would occasionally be here for consecutive days, and offer to let me put today's photos on the flash drive I gave them yesterday. Nope, not going to happen.

Glenn Schroeder

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning (no big deal), and they're giving us tomorrow afternoon off, so in about an hour I'll be done for the week. Those of you in the US, have a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:40 pm I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning (no big deal), and they're giving us tomorrow afternoon off, so in about an hour I'll be done for the week. Those of you in the US, have a happy and safe Thanksgiving.
Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving Glenn, and all other Americans on here! Enjoy the time off to spend some with those you hold dear.
Frederick_Law

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:00 pm One of my collegues clicked on some phishing mail 2 weeks ago and had us black listed, we got cleared last thursday and boy was that a pain in the arse.

I contacted Discord and got account back before hacker use it.
There is nothing important in Discord, mostly game stuff.
Frederick_Law

Someone try to blowup Rainbow Bridge:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.7036398

Lucky we canceled our plan to go watch balloons.
AlexLachance

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:12 pm Someone try to blowup Rainbow Bridge:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.7036398

Lucky we canceled our plan to go watch balloons.
That's some crazy stuff, hopefully it isn't a terrorist attack or the borders will close for a while...
Frederick_Law

Someone totally missed the turn.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

One of my first and favorite magazines is now all digtal. Kind of sad.. I always looked forward to getting it in the mailbox!
https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/27/239 ... scontinued
Attachments
2023-11-27 20 24 27.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

zxys001 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:29 pm One of my first and favorite magazines is now all digtal. Kind of sad.. I always looked forward to getting it in the mailbox!
https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/27/239 ... scontinued
We used to get this magazine in the mail when I was a kid. I especially loved the posters that sometimes came with them. They were plastered all over my bedroom walls.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
AlexLachance

image.png
Frederick_Law

Damn, I ran over a box of cereal.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:51 pm Damn, I ran over a box of cereal.
;;
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see the swamp revive @Glenn Schroeder's FAQs that disappeared in the forum transfer. It's a very small step in the right direction at least.

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... GizC2DZsSw
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

AlexB wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:11 am I was actually pleasantly surprised to see the swamp revive @Glenn Schroeder's FAQs that disappeared in the forum transfer. It's a very small step in the right direction at least.

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... GizC2DZsSw
This is only 4-5 years in the making, since the unfortunate demise murder of the old forum. Ahh, the joys of the 3DSwamp!! Taking something helpful and easy and making it unavailable and difficult.

@Glenn Schroeder put a lot of work in that collection over the years with a lot of very helpful information. (From the whole SWX community, a very big THANK YOU, Glenn!)
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
ctsturdiv

Rough semester.

Anyone who say "trade school is for flunkies" if I was not a pacifist, I would be tempted to slap.

The courses this semester were HARD.

BUT.. I ended up passing. C in speech only because I accidentally missed an assignment because of having to leave town for a sick elder and instructor was a hard @$$ about it. Got an A in Print Reading for Industry and ACED final! C in Advanced CAD, but instructor FLUNKED half the class it was so hard, so in my eyes it's an A.

I head into 3rd semester. Get to learn Revit/Inventor BIM and 3D. Which I hear is no cake walk, but not as obtuse as 2D autoCAD get with all those orthos and stuff.

I must also finally make a decision on specialization, though the school REALLY pushes piping because it gets funding from a lot of oil and gas companies.

Next semester is:

Plant Equipment (school has a physical plant they put you to work at)
Intro to CAD Disciplines
Principles of 3D Drafting
Physical Science

WISH ME LUCK as I have reached the halfway mark!
AlexLachance

ctsturdiv wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:46 am Rough semester.

Anyone who say "trade school is for flunkies" if I was not a pacifist, I would be tempted to slap.

The courses this semester were HARD.

BUT.. I ended up passing. C in speech only because I accidentally missed an assignment because of having to leave town for a sick elder and instructor was a hard @$$ about it. Got an A in Print Reading for Industry and ACED final! C in Advanced CAD, but instructor FLUNKED half the class it was so hard, so in my eyes it's an A.

I head into 3rd semester. Get to learn Revit/Inventor BIM and 3D. Which I hear is no cake walk, but not as obtuse as 2D autoCAD get with all those orthos and stuff.

I must also finally make a decision on specialization, though the school REALLY pushes piping because it gets funding from a lot of oil and gas companies.

Next semester is:

Plant Equipment (school has a physical plant they put you to work at)
Intro to CAD Disciplines
Principles of 3D Drafting
Physical Science

WISH ME LUCK as I have reached the halfway mark!
Keep your head up buddy, the best things are generally tougher to get ;)
Frederick_Law

Pipe is used everywhere.
Every building has miles of pipes.
Pipes under and around the building.

HVAC is another "pipe".
ctsturdiv

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:21 pm Pipe is used everywhere.
Every building has miles of pipes.
Pipes under and around the building.

HVAC is another "pipe".
As much as I would be happy never to see a nozzle or slip on flange again after being traumatized last semester, I may very well select piping as one of them. Thinking Civil for the second one.

Might want to talk with instructor,not certain where I stand with him. While he is good at teaching, he comes off as very stand-offish and neutral and hardcore to me at times. Not sure if it's just my perception or if it's just him. And I have him for maybe 40 percent of the classes and he is over the entire department. Also, my advisor.

But that's the reason I lurk places like here and r/cad so I can get a more nuanced view.

Thanks, guys.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

ctsturdiv wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:33 pm Might want to talk with instructor,not certain where I stand with him. While he is good at teaching, he comes off as very stand-offish and neutral and hardcore to me at times. Not sure if it's just my perception or if it's just him.
Thanks, guys.
Thinking back I cannot say that I can find a correlation between the demeanor/cordialness of a professor and their ability to teach. I have learned a lot from a couple that were just jerks, I've been in classes with the friendly, buddy type professor and those credits were a waste of time and money.

Let me ask you this, and don't answer here, but what does it matter where you stand with him? He's not there to be friends, he's there to teach. Either he has his reasons for keeping arms distance and if you were to know him you'd regret not respecting that; or he doesn't and he's just a jerk, now it's going to be harder to learn from him. We don't all have to be friends to learn from or work with each other. But we should have some level of respect. Which is not the same as liking someone or agreeing with them.
Frederick_Law

bnemec wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:25 am
Let me ask you this, and don't answer here, but what does it matter where you stand with him?
You could get higher mark if they like you.

I'm a skipper, so I wouldn't know ()
ctsturdiv

bnemec wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:25 am Thinking back I cannot say that I can find a correlation between the demeanor/cordialness of a professor and their ability to teach. I have learned a lot from a couple that were just jerks, I've been in classes with the friendly, buddy type professor and those credits were a waste of time and money.

Let me ask you this, and don't answer here, but what does it matter where you stand with him? He's not there to be friends, he's there to teach. Either he has his reasons for keeping arms distance and if you were to know him you'd regret not respecting that; or he doesn't and he's just a jerk, now it's going to be harder to learn from him. We don't all have to be friends to learn from or work with each other. But we should have some level of respect. Which is not the same as liking someone or agreeing with them.
Agreed.

Probably just self doubt creeping in.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Some cool engineering stuff I inherited from my dad. (A long time ago)
image.png
At one time he had one of these pantographs. Last time I saw it I was a youngish child, and had managed to coat it, me and a good bit of his drafting table with india ink.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Not engineering, but cool.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
ctsturdiv

@SPerman

Some of that stuff is still somewhat useful. For the Principles of Drafting class during spring, we had to do some old school stuff. I also used ruler, compass, and protractor to measure stuff for my final project in there.

My instructor was telling me sometime around the 90s, people started ditching that stuff including the old drafting tables.

But then, that stuff got back in style and now everyone wants those things back as office displays.

Makes me wonder about the tools of today.

"I know we have AI replicators today in 2040 that we just use the right prompts and ink and it prints out, but back in the day I had this... whips out a 2020s laptop with some bootleg Revit or autoCAD 2023 on it along with a big screen. Do it THIS way, whippersnappers!"
Frederick_Law

Should have ACAD R14 somewhere .....
Still haven't find my IV R1 CD.
AlexLachance

Good morning everyone, I'm back from my week at Rimouski to train a new guy. This is our last week before 2 weeks off for the Christmas break. Eager for that little vacation to start.

How's your holidays coming along?
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Was browsing around the Solidworks Certification Tester website...
Apparently they cant even keep the font consistent
(Or did they intentionally make the font smaller, hoping that people could not see it? :))
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
ctsturdiv

zwei wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:43 pm Was browsing around the Solidworks Certification Tester website...
Apparently they cant even keep the font consistent
(Or did they intentionally make the font smaller, hoping that people could not see it? :))

image.png
Interesting you are going that route.

I have heard rumblings in various places about vendor certs but not sure their usefulness. Nor how hard they are (though it can't be worse that those Advanced CAD and PID projects. Jesus, I think I got grey hairs from that.). I suppose more verifiable keywords and credentials on a resume looks good, but most of the ads I see only mention AAS degree.

I personally have a class coming up on Solidworks. After fighting with AutoCAD, kind of welcome the change.

What's really odd about my program is while I hear everyone does Inventor, Solidworks, and Revit they require a year in AutoCAD before you can even mess with it at least at the Community College level.

What have you heard about the vendor certs?
Frederick_Law

Damn, got 4 days bin in AutoDesk forum.
Frederick_Law

Will be off next, see you all next year.
Glenn Schroeder

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:59 am Will be off next, see you all next year.
Same here. I'm leaving in a few minutes, and will be back on the 2nd. Happy New Year to everyone, and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate Christmas.

AlexLachance

Good morning everyone and a happy new year to all of you! I hope you all had a great christmas time! Back to work this morning for me, those 2 weeks off were a blessing, now back to the big things!
ctsturdiv

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:23 am Good morning everyone and a happy new year to all of you! I hope you all had a great christmas time! Back to work this morning for me, those 2 weeks off were a blessing, now back to the big things!
Went WAY too fast.

Yes, back to the big things indeed!

Going into 3rd semester. A few classes for Summer, then last Semester for Fall. Walk sometime in January and on to the workforce.

Kind of dreading this semester coming up since nearly having my rear handed to me in a wake up call with Advanced CAD fall semester.

Intro to Disciplines I, 3D concepts, a Physical Science teacher who has a reputation of being hard, and a Process technology Equipment class and Lab I am actually looking forward to. (It would really be awkward in an interview if I am asked to draw a Flow Control Valve but have never seen one in person.)

Much heavier load.

But hope everyone else's break was cool as well!
AlexLachance

ctsturdiv wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:39 pm Went WAY too fast.

Yes, back to the big things indeed!

Going into 3rd semester. A few classes for Summer, then last Semester for Fall. Walk sometime in January and on to the workforce.

Kind of dreading this semester coming up since nearly having my rear handed to me in a wake up call with Advanced CAD fall semester.

Intro to Disciplines I, 3D concepts, a Physical Science teacher who has a reputation of being hard, and a Process technology Equipment class and Lab I am actually looking forward to. (It would really be awkward in an interview if I am asked to draw a Flow Control Valve but have never seen one in person.)

Much heavier load.

But hope everyone else's break was cool as well!
Good luck with the getting back to school! Don't be too dreadful over it, life's full of challenges and the career you picked is one that involves solving those challenges. :)