Recommend some online videos equivalent to the one shown

Edu User Anon
Answers: 0

Recommend some online videos equivalent to the one shown

Unread post by Edu User Anon »

Hi

As I've mentioned before, I'm a mature student somewhere between CSWA and CSWP level. Self-taught using materials found online.

Anyway, a few days ago I stumbled across a video that was of real value to me because it was by an actual college lecturer/tutor from an English-speaking country. There aren't many such videos/youtubers, or if there are, then I'm having trouble finding them. So I thought I'd ask you guys to have a quick look at the video below and maybe you could offer some suggestions as to where I might find more videos like it.

Thanks.

zwei
Answers: 18

Re: Recommend some online videos equivalent to the one shown

Unread post by zwei »

This really depend on what you are trying to learn...

Some of my personal favorite:
http://www.spannerpd.com/webcasts
https://www.solidprofessor.com/tutorials/solidworks (require subscription)
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Any of the videos posted by VAR's should be okay.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Maybe I'm picky, but I always say "Delete is not an editing method." if there were configurations or equations or design tables all that deleting would surely mess something up.

Plus, he should have mirrored the second part of the assembly, not recreate it.

And, there's a big difference between what he calls "real world" and efficient mates. Is the assembly going to get large? Is the CAD work going to need to move?

A lot of people would say using hardware to constrain the functional parts of the assembly is a bad idea. Hardware is the most likely part of that assembly to be changed, so nothing should be mated to it or you're going to be editing more mates, which he never showed how to do

He gets a D for Best Practice. You have to be careful with listening to these guys on YouTube too closely.

Think about the purpose of the assembly, and if you are over thinking and making it too compute intensive. What's driving the design, the CAD or the engineering? Is the assembly just for a drawing to show an exploded view? Is your time being well spent being so pedantic about the "real world" in a virtual CAD model?
KevinC
Answers: 1

Unread post by KevinC »

There are plenty of lessons there, some free, some not so free, but they're SW and VAR (as Mr. Schroeder mentioned).
"Learning Paths" are lessons grouped by topic.
Edu User Anon

Thanks ALL for your suggestions, and to matt L for his insights.

@Zhen-Wei Tee - Do you know if those 'Solid Professor' course(s)/videos are downloadable? For example, if I was to sign-up for ONE month would I be able to download the videos during that time, for viewing offline after my month has expired?
kawuser

Unread post by kawuser »

Edu User Anon wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:39 am Thanks ALL for your suggestions, and to matt L for his insights.

@Zhen-Wei Tee - Do you know if those 'Solid Professor' course(s)/videos are downloadable? For example, if I was to sign-up for ONE month would I be able to download the videos during that time, for viewing offline after my month has expired?
I tried downloading some of those videos and it seem to work. Is it legal? I don't know.
Edu User Anon

kawuser wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:44 am I tried downloading some of those videos and it seem to work. Is it legal? I don't know.
I noticed that was the case with the free 'intro videos' but was wondering about the 'paid content' after signing up. Any experience with that?
kawuser

Unread post by kawuser »

Edu User Anon wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:17 pm I noticed that was the case with the free 'intro videos' but was wondering about the 'paid content' after signing up. Any experience with that?
I have a paid account with Solidprofessor. I have downloaded any video I wanted but there again I don't know if it is legal.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

matt wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:46 pm Maybe I'm picky, but I always say "Delete is not an editing method." if there were configurations or equations or design tables all that deleting would surely mess something up.
I didn't get much past this myself. Deleting all the mates may be fine if you have two parts....not really an option when you have 1000 parts so learning how to hunt down and deal with mating issues is a mandatory skill when dealing with SW.

That being said I think this is also one of SW drawbacks. It's not great with mates and likes to light up everything like a Christmas tree because you have one conflict rather than isolate where the problem really is. This makes hunting down mate errors a more difficult task in SW than in other packages, at least in my opinion.

To the OP, SW has a bunch of tutorials that are good. As others have mentioned VAR's videos are typically pretty trustworthy. Everyone else you have to not only be leery of their abilities but also look at what they are teaching from their perspective. This video is from a teacher so it will be expressed from that perspective. That perspective will not be the same as someone making an aero plane which will not be the same as someone making a bridge or a piece of furniture.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Delete!!! No, no, no.

Learn to repair, sketches, features, mates......never delete anything unless you truly don't want it anymore. Most of the time, the whole tree lights up that way due to poor mating habits. Mates like monogamous relationships, when you go outside the two parts involved, don't be surprised when trouble crops up later.
Jason