inserting an Adobe Illistrator file.

Jim Steinmeyer
Answers: 0

inserting an Adobe Illistrator file.

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

I am having a challenge.
The local community collage wants me to create a plasma file to cut some bench supports. They first sent a file that came as an edrawings file that I could open in our edrawings viewer but not in SW. No dimensions but I was able to measure it, sort of and it was 135"x 150". Seemed large so I asked for a drawing with dimensions or a dxf file.
He tells me the dimensions should be closer to 23"x25" and sends me a pdf. Not a dxf but I should be able to insert it as a sketch picture and trace it. So when I attempt to add the sketch picture I get the message "Adobe Illustrator C53 required to import this file". No problem, I will paste it in Paint and then use that. same message. Naturally I don't have illustrator and am highly unlikely to ever have it.
Does someone have Illustrator or know of a different program that can convert it to a png or gif or other standard format?

Thank you
Attachments
Bench_Files_Supports_No_Holes.pdf
(392.28 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
by zxys001 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:20 pm
Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:43 pm I am having a challenge.
The local community collage wants me to create a plasma file to cut some bench supports. They first sent a file that came as an edrawings file that I could open in our edrawings viewer but not in SW. No dimensions but I was able to measure it, sort of and it was 135"x 150". Seemed large so I asked for a drawing with dimensions or a dxf file.
He tells me the dimensions should be closer to 23"x25" and sends me a pdf. Not a dxf but I should be able to insert it as a sketch picture and trace it. So when I attempt to add the sketch picture I get the message "Adobe Illustrator C53 required to import this file". No problem, I will paste it in Paint and then use that. same message. Naturally I don't have illustrator and am highly unlikely to ever have it.
Does someone have Illustrator or know of a different program that can convert it to a png or gif or other standard format?

Thank you
..here's a DXF of it (I used Rhino3D)
Go to full post
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: inserting an Adobe Illistrator file.

Unread post by mike miller »

Lantek nesting software can import a PDF and export as DXF. Let me see if I can do a little arm twisting with the laser department next week. ;)
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

You could take a screen capture, but even so, you have to have a way to calibrate it. Some size on the pdf that you know, like the end radius.
Arthur NY

Unread post by Arthur NY »

This would be WAAAAAAy easier of they would send the (.DWG) or (.DXF) file rather than trying to trace it.... :)

That said download Rhino 3D and drag and drop the PDF into it. It will give you curves with which to then generate some 3D from. Then export out as a (.STEP file.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:43 pm I am having a challenge.

Thank you
..here's a DXF of it (I used Rhino3D)
Attachments
Bench_Files_Supports_No_Holes.zip
(10.05 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
p 5.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Krzysztof Szpakowski

Unread post by Krzysztof Szpakowski »

mbiasotti

Unread post by mbiasotti »

@Jim Steinmeyer - Hi Jim, coming to the party late, if you still need your .ai file converted let me know and I'll do it for you.

Mark
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

You may also try Inkscape (https://inkscape.org/)
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
SamSpade
Answers: 2

Unread post by SamSpade »

You can try online PDF to DWG converters:

https://www.zamzar.com/
Attachments
Bench_Files_Supports_No_Holes.zip
(30.09 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky
HerrTick
Answers: 1

Unread post by HerrTick »

I would just kick it back and insist on a dxf (or at least STEP). They need to learn appropriate formats for manufacturing, and (hopefully) pass this knowledge on to their students.

Seems ridiculous that they took the time to give you another useless export but didn't take the time to give you something useful. There are some customers that you want the competition to steal.
Jim Steinmeyer

zxys001 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:20 pm ..here's a DXF of it (I used Rhino3D)
Thank you Paul.
Jim Steinmeyer

Thank you for the input everyone. I tried to get a better file from the school but the "drawing" is coming from the Marketing & Public Relations department and I suspect they are unclear just what a File is let alone what a dxf file is.
The interesting thing is that they said this 25" x 23" part is too big to fit their plasma.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Better get a dimensioned "drawing" and redraw it.
They had something to create edrawing. Get that "something" file.
Get the original file. Not one that got translated a billion time.
HerrTick

the "drawing" is coming from the Marketing & Public Relations department
I would cease all communications with them other than "connect me with someone who knows what they're doing".

I've been through this spin cycle way too many times. A 2-minute conversation or one-line email with the right person will solve everything.
HerrTick

I know I'm sounding obtuse if not outright belligerent. In practice, I do actually do these things, but with my best Midwest-nice demeanor. But I stand firm.
Jim Steinmeyer

Well, for what I got paid and everything, I didn't care too much. So I came close,
Then I put our company logo in the plasma file. :)
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I know this has been answered, but can't you save illustrator files in DWG or into JPEGS? If you were to save into Jpegs, you could then either convert the jpeg to DXF with a web application and then scale it to the appropriate size

I thought I recall something about Photoshop/Illustrator being able to export as DXF
Jim Steinmeyer

AlexLachance wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:51 pm I know this has been answered, but can't you save illustrator files in DWG or into JPEGS? If you were to save into Jpegs, you could then either convert the jpeg to DXF with a web application and then scale it to the appropriate size

I thought I recall something about Photoshop/Illustrator being able to export as DXF
Yes, But I had nothing that would open it. The first file that he sent was able to be opened but was about 6 times the size it should have been. Then when he resent I was unable to even open to resave.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:24 pm Yes, But I had nothing that would open it. The first file that he sent was able to be opened but was about 6 times the size it should have been. Then when he resent I was unable to even open to resave.
..as Zhen-Wei Tee suggested, Inkscape is free option.
Attachments
inkscape 1.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau