Bifurcate items in through BOM

Bharat
Answers: 0

Bifurcate items in through BOM

Unread post by Bharat »

Hi

I am seeking to bifurcate the parts in a assembly through BOM in Solidworks.

So one BOM template should list certain items only from the assembly and the some other BOM template should list certain items of the same assembly.

Take a example of a simple cabinet with some hardware in Solidworks assembly. So BOM_Template_1 should populate the only wood items cut-list of the cabinet assembly and the BOM_Template_2 should only populate the hardware of the cabinet assembly.

I reckon there are many useful implementation of this capability , if we can achieve this.

I am trying to figure this out for a while. Like we can induce a custom property at part level and a Macro at BOM level that can recognise that property and place that particular part in a certain BOM template.

Let s figure this out !!

Thanks!
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Re: Bifurcate items in through BOM

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

As soon the cabinet assembly is to be finished and released, make two sub-assemblies containing wood or hardware, and bom of each of these sub-assemblies show what you want.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Bharat wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:52 am Like we can induce a custom property at part level and a Macro at BOM level that can recognise that property and place that particular part in a certain BOM template.
Thanks!
At the very least you can use the custom property to sort by. It would still be one BOM, but "A" parts would be at the top and "B" parts at the bottom.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

SPerman wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:57 am At the very least you can use the custom property to sort by. It would still be one BOM, but "A" parts would be at the top and "B" parts at the bottom.
Or use a macro that deletes rows based on the cell value of a specified column. The attached one deletes (or hides, your choice) any item with a blank cell in the second row. This could be changed to search for a specific value such as a part number.
Attachments
Remove Blanks in BOM.swp
(42 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
KevinC
Answers: 1

Unread post by KevinC »

SPerman wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:57 am At the very least you can use the custom property to sort by. It would still be one BOM, but "A" parts would be at the top and "B" parts at the bottom.
Along this line of thinking, add the customer property "IsFastener" to each hardware part file and set it to 1.
You can then add a custom property column to the BOM and sort by it.
This reason I mention using "IsFastener" is that SW recognizes this property and when set to 1, allows you to exclude hardware from being sectioned (or let it be sectioned) with one check (tick) box.

You can also try reordering your assembly, if possible, so that all hardware is last in the tree and splitting the BOM at this junction.

Kevin
KevinC

Unread post by KevinC »

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:01 am As soon the cabinet assembly is to be finished and released, make two sub-assemblies containing wood or hardware, and bom of each of these sub-assemblies show what you want.
You can create three configurations: 1) Parts and hardware [the normal assembly], 2) Parts only and 3) Hardware only.

When you add your BOM, expand the Configurations section and select the configuration the BOM will reference.
Add a second BOM And select the other configuration.
image.png
image.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Both BOMs will start with 1 for Item No, so you can add an equation column to the hardware BOM and to combine an "H" (or something else) before the item number, but then it's a matter of getting the balloons to reference this.
image.png
image.png (4.24 KiB) Viewed 492 times
KevinC

Unread post by KevinC »

KevinC wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:29 am You can create three configurations: 1) Parts and hardware [the normal assembly], 2) Parts only and 3) Hardware only.

Both BOMs will start with 1 for Item No, so you can add an equation column to the hardware BOM and to combine an "H" (or something else) before the item number, but then it's a matter of getting the balloons to reference this.
image.png

Both BOMs don't have to start at 1, this is just the default.
Assuming less than 100 parts, you can start the hardware BOM numbering at 101, for example:
image.png
image.png (5.52 KiB) Viewed 455 times
image.png
image.png (3.83 KiB) Viewed 455 times