85%
3) I have a more complex non-binary answer which I will elucidate in a comment
5%

Total votes: 20
matt
Answers: 18

Poll: mChat, stay or go?

Unread post by matt »

Sometimes extensions can add a load to the server, and always pose a small security risk At this time, mChat doesn't seem to be a problem, but the more extensions we use, the more potential problems we might have.

Also, mChat hasn't been used in about a week. It might have been novel at first, but maybe the novelty has worn off. Do you like it? Would you miss it if it were gone? vote.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Re: Poll: mChat, stay or go?

Unread post by MJuric »

I don't use it so I have no preference as to whether it stays or goes.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

@matt I don't see the benefit over other ways to access this forum's contents. Maybe I'm just missing something; perhaps you can 'splain it to me in short order. You know, something less than a three-part video tutorial of how to use the 3DSwamp.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Roasted By John

Unread post by Roasted By John »

matt wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:09 am Sometimes extensions can add a load to the server, and always pose a small security risk At this time, mChat doesn't seem to be a problem, but the more extensions we use, the more potential problems we might have.

Also, mChat hasn't been used in about a week. It might have been novel at first, but maybe the novelty has worn off. Do you like it? Would you miss it if it were gone? vote.
Please don't trash it, I think it's the best thing going here, no need to do a lot of searching to see what happened when I was gone, I like to go over the "Archived Page", this supposedly displays all the activity.

I actually sent Suchit an email to see how the mChat is working, not a lot to weed through, quick glance and you can see what's happening..

My 50 Votes are - KEEP IT
If I need to cast another 50, let me know ;)
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

I don't really have a preference as I virtually never use it simply b/c I have work to do and don't have time to be chatting w/ people.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Roasted By John

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:07 pm I don't really have a preference as I virtually never use it simply b/c I have work to do and don't have time to be chatting w/ people.
Same here, but for me it's not about the "Chat" function, it's more about a summarized visual on what has happened over the last minute, hour, day or month...

Using the mChat as a visual has saved me a lot of time, I didn't need to search every topic to see what is happening and I have my settings to "not" send me an email for every post or reply or whatever, I just look at mChat and away I go. Try it for that and you'll not wanna see it go ;)
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Roasted By John wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:13 pm Same here, but for me it's not about the "Chat" function, it's more about a summarized visual on what has happened over the last minute, hour, day or month...

Using the mChat as a visual has saved me a lot of time, I didn't need to search every topic to see what is happening and I have my settings to "not" send me an email for every post or reply or whatever, I just look at mChat and away I go. Try it for that and you'll not wanna see it go ;)
I don't need to search every topic b/c I follow everything from the "Unread Post" page.
image.png
image.png (8.88 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
From there I can see all the topics that have a post that I haven't read yet. From there I can also click the little "go to last unread post" button which will take me to the last unread post.
image.png
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:19 pm I don't need to search every topic b/c I follow everything from the "Unread Post" page.
image.png
From there I can see all the topics that have a post that I haven't read yet. From there I can also click the little "go to last unread post" button which will take me to the last unread post.
image.png
Same here.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:16 pm Same here.
And you don't have to scroll through lots of "john doe has just logged in."
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:19 pm I don't need to search every topic b/c I follow everything from the "Unread Post" page.
image.png
image.png
I do the same. I occasionally go to the mChat to have a look but generally if I have something to share I'll post in in the watercooler talk thread that I kind of "stole" from John.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Roasted By John wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:57 am <snip>
My 50 Votes are - KEEP IT
If I need to cast another 50, let me know ;)
You need to install Dominion first..... <()>

Dominion Systems - Get the votes you want
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Roasted By John

image.png
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Ömür Tokman

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

I want my chat back.
this was a very useful feature for me.
(I saw this topic today.)
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
Roasted By John

I'll second the motion @Omur
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Ömür Tokman wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:25 am I want my chat back.
this was a very useful feature for me.
(I saw this topic today.)
Roasted By John wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:27 pm I'll second the motion @Omur
It looks like the vote was 18 - 2. I'd say the motion failed to carry.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Roasted By John

That's not the point - the point is that it was the 18 that have no clue how to use that great feature only Omur & I used it differently, now it's a huge pain in the @$$ to figure out where and what I read or responded too. I don't have time to peruse through all kinds of read and un-read or new or whatever else.

Glad it's Friday
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

I read every post, and I just use the Unread Posts. If you were using mChat to do that, that's not really what that was for, in fact I disabled that function on my computer because it cluttered up what was supposed to be there.
image.png
image.png (17.63 KiB) Viewed 1863 times

You can also set up a link directly to the forum such that the unread list comes up automatically
image.png
Roasted By John

The point that I can't get across is how easy it was to see what happened over the last 3 days, without trying to change the Quick link selections, all you I needed to do was go to the Archive Chat Page and very quickly I could see new posts or replies to posts. It was setup as a quick Chat, and we did use it as that in the beginning, then I discovered how easy it is to use. If @matt would put it up again, then I could teach the 18 how to use it to their advantage and then we would've had 20 people crying when it disappeared.

Again, "it's not" the Chat portion, it's a summarized ultra quick view of all activity, super awesome, now it's gone - Glad It's Friday
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Roasted By John

Do you wanna know why I'm glad it's Friday...

It'll take me all weekend to retrain my membrane to not use the archived chat next week. - Glad It's Friday
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Roasted By John

Just like SolidWorks - remove features or add features by people that didn't know what the features are good for or how to use them in the thousands of workarounds - Super Glad It's Friday
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Look, mChat is/was primarily a chat page with the ability to display other useless information such as "John Doe just logged in". :roll:

I found it to be too much of a scroll-hole, incidentally, just like the 3DSwym Deep Pit of Despair and Frustration.

If you want to see the activity in threads that you participated in, go to Quick Links > Your Posts. For all new posts, just use Quick Links > Unread Posts. If you return to it, the read posts disappear so you can keep track of where you're going.

One more awesome little feature: if you've seen all the posts that interest you and there are others still unread, you can click this button to mark them all as read and remove them from the list.
2021-05-21 15_18_43.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Roasted By John

There were only two against the masses - proof you don't get either ;) - Glad It's Friday
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Roasted By John wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:10 pm The point that I can't get across is how easy it was to see what happened over the last 3 days, without trying to change the Quick link selections, all you I needed to do was go to the Archive Chat Page and very quickly I could see new posts or replies to posts. It was setup as a quick Chat, and we did use it as that in the beginning, then I discovered how easy it is to use. If @matt would put it up again, then I could teach the 18 how to use it to their advantage and then we would've had 20 people crying when it disappeared.

Again, "it's not" the Chat portion, it's a summarized ultra quick view of all activity, super awesome, now it's gone - Glad It's Friday
I'm all for learning something new so maybe matt can put it back up and you can show us how you use it. I stopped looking at the first time I saw "So and so logged on"...don't care, clutter, tldr.

Between "New Post" and my notifications I find it pretty easy to know what is going on.
Roasted By John

Today is Saturday - all is well on my end ;)
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Ömür Tokman

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

I don't know, but maybe it can be customized. For example, like an on off button on my profile.
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.