Best Workflow in SolidEdge?

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Best Workflow in SolidEdge?

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

So I have been messing with SolidEdge the last 2 months and am curious what the SE gurus consider the best workflow is to use in SE.
From what I have discovered, Multi-Body design in SE is not very comparable to SW (then again I may be totally missing something as I do not have very much experience w/ SE. (https://community.sw.siemens.com/s/ques ... -some-love)
In SW our workflow is as follows:
Everything that is welded together is in one part file
Then we have a welded assembly to add any common components, etc.
After that we have a final assembly w/ the rest of the components, sub-assys, etc.

I have done a fair amount of the tutorials and I think I have a decent grasp of Sync but I'm not sure what the best workflow would look like using sync.

Incontext? (Do you use any in context relations? Does SE handle In Context relations well?)
Top down?
Bottom up?
Skeleton Sketch Part?

Looking forward to any insight!
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Ry-guy
Answers: 1

Re: Best Workflow in SolidEdge?

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:11 pm So I have been messing with SolidEdge the last 2 months and am curious what the SE gurus consider the best workflow is to use in SE.
From what I have discovered, Multi-Body design in SE is not very comparable to SW (then again I may be totally missing something as I do not have very much experience w/ SE. (https://community.sw.siemens.com/s/ques ... -some-love)
In SW our workflow is as follows:
Everything that is welded together is in one part file
Then we have a welded assembly to add any common components, etc.
After that we have a final assembly w/ the rest of the components, sub-assys, etc.

I have done a fair amount of the tutorials and I think I have a decent grasp of Sync but I'm not sure what the best workflow would look like using sync.

Incontext? (Do you use any in context relations? Does SE handle In Context relations well?)
Top down?
Bottom up?
Skeleton Sketch Part?

Looking forward to any insight!
Jay,
That's a tough question to answer. One key factor is data manage question. Are you planning on using data management? If so, then most systems, really prefer to have 1 part number / drawing.

And it depends on how you manage your material flow. Are you OK with calculating foot length of 2x2x0.25 tubing on the drawing or do you need each one individual?

How do you manage in-process work? For weldments I am used to creating (in NX) the weldment assy and drawing using stock sizes. Next we use the same assy but show the machined states of the solid for the machined drawing. The machined assy is what is used in the next level up assy.

Solid Edge has a pretty good weldment module (with modeled welds too!). It can handle the cut-lenth BOM too.

Help us, help you!
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Ry-guy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:23 pm Jay,
That's a tough question to answer. One key factor is data manage question. Are you planning on using data management? If so, then most systems, really prefer to have 1 part number / drawing. Currently we don't have any data management. We are planning on implement a PDM system here in the near future. (Currently we are looking at Design Data Management, we are really impressed w/ what we see so far.

And it depends on how you manage your material flow. Are you OK with calculating foot length of 2x2x0.25 tubing on the drawing or do you need each one individual? Currently we do not have each tube individual and it has not been a problem. But we will have part #s per tube so maybe we would be better off having them individual? Currently in SW we use Cutlist props to store the part #

How do you manage in-process work? For weldments I am used to creating (in NX) the weldment assy and drawing using stock sizes. Next we use the same assy but show the machined states of the solid for the machined drawing. The machined assy is what is used in the next level up assy. We only need to show the machined states and not the stock lengths. Ordering dept. takes care of that....

Solid Edge has a pretty good weldment module (with modeled welds too!). It can handle the cut-lenth BOM too.

Help us, help you!
See answers in bold..
Thanks you for your time so far!!
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
DaveG
Answers: 0

Unread post by DaveG »

It's a tricky one alright, I like the approach of having synchronous parts driving a frame made in the frame design environment. Credit to Sean Cresswell for educating me on this one.