My First Question Here...woot! How to mate tapers?

jmongi
Answers: 0

My First Question Here...woot! How to mate tapers?

Unread post by jmongi »

So excited to make my first SW question on this forum!

So, we're redesigning a power takeoff assembly and the main shaft has a tapered end that mates in a tapered shaft carrier/hub. How would I go about mating that together in SW? It's not super critical, but the final fixed position of the shaft depends on those two mating surfaces and that sets the distance of the bearing surface on the shaft. I would like to see that everything has enough clearance space using the actual taper "interference".

Sorry if that's a bit long-winded. Using SW 2019 SP5.
Designated Pot-Stirrer
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Re: My First Question Here...woot! How to mate tapers?

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

Post an assembly?
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Use centerline or axes or temp axes
jmongi

Unread post by jmongi »

Axes will align the tapers, but how do i set the depth? I haven't actually had a chance to try anything yet. Got snagged for a hot issue that will be done in an hour.
Designated Pot-Stirrer
KevinC
Answers: 1

Unread post by KevinC »

jmongi wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:38 pm Axes will align the tapers, but how do i set the depth? I haven't actually had a chance to try anything yet. Got snagged for a hot issue that will be done in an hour.
Is it a male taper into a conic female?

[After axes alignment]
You can add planes to each part and mate them coincident or at a distance from each other.
To mate male/female, you can select the circular female edge and mate coincident to the male's face.

Some screen shots would be helpful.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

jmongi wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:54 am So excited to make my first SW question on this forum!

So, we're redesigning a power takeoff assembly and the main shaft has a tapered end that mates in a tapered shaft carrier/hub. How would I go about mating that together in SW? It's not super critical, but the final fixed position of the shaft depends on those two mating surfaces and that sets the distance of the bearing surface on the shaft. I would like to see that everything has enough clearance space using the actual taper "interference".

Sorry if that's a bit long-winded. Using SW 2019 SP5.
If the two tapers are the same you should be able to just do a coincident mate and done all but rotation.
image.png
If the tapers are different then the best way is axis and planes or axis and intersecting circle.

image.png
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

If the taper angles are identical, you can just use a single coincident mate between the circular edge at either end of the taper of one part and the conical face of the other part. SOLIDWORKS will work out where the two entities meet, even if it is outside the part boundaries:
Attachments
image.png
image.png
image.png
jmongi

Unread post by jmongi »

Thanks to all who responded. They SHOULD be the same taper. My past issues my have been from tapers that were actually slightly different or some random SW issue with face selection order. Those options look like they should work. I'll be back on this in a minute.
Designated Pot-Stirrer
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

This is a CAD forum...I think you're in the wrong place...
image.png
image.png (122.63 KiB) Viewed 830 times
jmongi

Unread post by jmongi »

On the contrary, I think some need a CAD program to accomplish both kinds of mating.... :P
Designated Pot-Stirrer
Roasted By John

Unread post by Roasted By John »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:04 pm This is a CAD forum...I think you're in the wrong place...
image.png

According to that Picture, I decided that I'd still would like my permanent secretary, don't think I want a permanent taper :shock:
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way