No 3DExperience forum?

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Matt, no 3DInexperience sub-forum? :twisted:
Jason
matt
Answers: 18

Re: No 3DExperience forum?

Unread post by matt »

Yeah, y'know, uhhhhhh.... No. I just don't think I could duplicate it or do it justice. I would need at least 3 more layers of management to begin to understand what is going on with that.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Well, their users are gonna need someplace to get help.
Jason
Ryan-3DS
Answers: 0

Unread post by Ryan-3DS »

I agree with Jason on this one. The Platform is much more encompassing (no pun intended) than just a CAD application/software. :-)
matt

Unread post by matt »

If this were some general IT site, CAD might be seen as a subset of 3dx, but since this is primarily a CAD users site, we tend to see 3dx (and its bretheren platform/portfolio Xcelerator) as a consequence of CAD. I can't put 3dx higher in the hierarchy unless we get a lot of that type of people here. And I can't really see that happening seeing how much time the site as a whole puts into making sure "that type of people" know what CAD users think of them.

So, I think it's ok to have 3dx as a subtopic of CAD rather than the other way around. Based on how many Catia users we seem to attract, this organization seems appropriate.

Thanks for asking, though. At least I did add 3dx to the Catia branch.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

jcapriotti wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:24 pm Well, their users are gonna need someplace to get help.
Only one solution: stop paying something you have problem: paying, get download link, download, install, use the software, learn how to use the software, get support for the software, uninstall, stop subscription, stop payment.
Did I miss anything?
Oh yea, which one did you paid for?
Solidworks Connect, SolidConnect, Solidworks Student, Solidworks Desktop, Student Connect, Student Work, Solid Maker, Maker Connect, Maker student, ConnectWorks, Maker Works, Solid Maker Works, Solid Connect Work Maker, 3DX Works .....
;;
BTW we can't process your refund because your video card is not certified.

I can't believe people will pay 3 times while they can't get confirmation or download link.

Actually can we setup something like that and retire?
Ryan-3DS

Unread post by Ryan-3DS »

matt wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:38 pm If this were some general IT site, CAD might be seen as a subset of 3dx, but since this is primarily a CAD users site, we tend to see 3dx (and its bretheren platform/portfolio Xcelerator) as a consequence of CAD.
Yikes..please don't duplicate the common mistake and define or associate Xcelerator with a platform! Calling it a "portfolio" is OK. Siemens says Xcelerator is a Marketplace.https://marketplace.siemens.com/global/en.html.
It is not a platform. A platform is a FRAMEWORK of software that is designed and intended to work together. Siemens can't have an Xcelerator platform when they call Simcenter a platform. Teamcenter is a platform. Polarion is a platform. Mendix is a platform. etc. etc. You don't have a platform if you have multi-platforms! To top that off, they were not designed and intended to work together..several are acquisitions!

Sorry, I hear Xceleratror is a platform all the time. Based on the software industry definition of a platform, it is not a platform.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

my VAR is hinting that PDM will be replaced sometime in the future with 3DX.

No api support
No customizations
Roles and nominal licenses under DS control
No compatibility with SW desktop(only using the connector on the cloud apparently)
Client side only on premise, so you can get all the cons of the cloud

If I had to migrate 1 TB of data I would prefer siemens. DS is completely unreliable at this point. too many unsolved bugs, regressions like a slap in the face at every version up... name one tool that works 100% inside the CAD. (spool printer and basic file operations are windows features)
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

mp3-250 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:38 am my VAR is hinting that PDM will be replaced sometime in the future with 3DX.

No api support
No customizations
Roles and nominal licenses under DS control
No compatibility with SW desktop(only using the connector on the cloud apparently)
Client side only on premise, so you can get all the cons of the cloud

If I had to migrate 1 TB of data I would prefer siemens. DS is completely unreliable at this point. too many unsolved bugs, regressions like a slap in the face at every version up... name one tool that works 100% inside the CAD. (spool printer and basic file operations are windows features)
While I do understand the idea behind it, that would be an awful decision on their end. I wouldn't be surprised though.
nurk

Unread post by nurk »

I would prefer to have Sub Topic 3DEXPERIENCE under SOLIDWORKS Main topic, the reason is Catia 3dx is not exactly 100% SOLIDWORKS 3dx. Please consider about that Matt.., thank you.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

nurk wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:39 am I would prefer to have Sub Topic 3DEXPERIENCE under SOLIDWORKS Main topic, the reason is Catia 3dx is not exactly 100% SOLIDWORKS 3dx. Please consider about that Matt.., thank you.
Understandable. Although, from what I've seen the 3DX doesn't really belong anywhere. It's no more Solidworks than Catia or Solid Edge are. It's PDM and CAD and FEA and CAM and PLM and ERP and.... I feel that if there's to be a sub-forum for it here it might go best under "Other Technology"
image.png
Just my $0.02