Does anyone actually use 3DExperience in a productive manner?

dave.laban
Answers: 4

Re: Does anyone actually use 3DExperience? Still waiting.......

Unread post by dave.laban »

Undoubtedly Dilbert has had this on several occasions. Probably an XKCD or two, too!
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

dave.laban wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:29 am So they're closing the Swym Enhancement Requests community to new ideas. I think the problem was determined to be "people are making too many enhancement requests" and the solution was "stop them making requests" not "fix the underlying structural, software and philosophical issues undermining the success of the platform".
And with almost no time to notice:
2022-06-13 08_34_03-3DSwym Community Changes Coming - June 17, 2022.png
I mean... I was hopeful after they implemented the compact view. But basically nothing has happened since & the forum is dying a slow death over there it seems. Without i.e. @dave.laban and a handful of others there would be nobody there to answer questions.
This forces everyone to use their VAR instead now and that's extremely slow and VERY cumbersome. I tried using it and often times I got a link to an SPR. After sending them files, Rx captures etc.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

berg_lauritz wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:41 am And with almost no time to notice:
2022-06-13 08_34_03-3DSwym Community Changes Coming - June 17, 2022.png

I mean... I was hopeful after they implemented the compact view. But basically nothing has happened since & the forum is dying a slow death over there it seems. Without i.e. @dave.laban and a handful of others there would be nobody there to answer questions.
This forces everyone to use their VAR instead now and that's extremely slow and VERY cumbersome. I tried using it and often times I got a link to an SPR. After sending them files, Rx captures etc.
nah, for fast responses and a wide scope of experience post your questions here: https://www.cadforum.net/index.php
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

dave.laban wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:29 am So they're closing the Swym Enhancement Requests community to new ideas. I think the problem was determined to be "people are making too many enhancement requests" and the solution was "stop them making requests" not "fix the underlying structural, software and philosophical issues undermining the success of the platform".
I was able to find the post, then open it to see some of the replies, then click to see more replies of the replies. Somewhat entertaining although there was the foul smell of good suggestions decaying in the SWYMp.

image.png
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:08 pm Somewhat entertaining although there was the foul smell of good suggestions decaying in the SWYMp.
image.png
Jason
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
jcapriotti

Cross posting here in case anyone needs a loan <()>

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... W2dRfYhGFQ
image.png
Jason
dave.laban

Interesting post from Kevin Quigley about costs in the cloud;

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... fLtq-5N1gw
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

dave.laban wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:42 am Interesting post from Kevin Quigley about costs in the cloud;

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... fLtq-5N1gw
Thanks for this Jason.
As always, great read Kevin!
The competition has to be strategizing in some form or maybe they enjoy watching DS destroy themselves. **
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

zxys001 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:59 am Thanks for this Jason.
As always, great read Kevin!
The competition has to be strategizing in some form or maybe they enjoy watching DS destroy themselves. **
Maybe this is sounding like a broken record, but Solid Edge reads SW native and can reconnect translated drawings to translated models.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

matt wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:03 pm Maybe this is sounding like a broken record, but Solid Edge reads SW native and can reconnect translated drawings to translated models.
Yeah, hear ya, and with a current gig, SE actually is making more sense. UU
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Cbecks Design
Answers: 0

Re: Does anyone actually use 3DExperience?

Unread post by Cbecks Design »

mike miller wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:38 pm Ohhhh...boy, have you missed out! https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/247614

TL;DR......DSS is killing the current forum and moving it to a Facebook-type app that is locked behind a Google-proof wall, therefore will not be visible to search engines. The current content will "supposedly" be transferred, but no one is holding their breath.

grumph

Yeah, it's super dumb. That's the reason for the phenomenal acceleration of this site (it was born a week ago).
I was super disappointed to see they blocked the Google search content. Googling SolidWorks questions usually results in a link to the (old) forum.

Perhaps this forum could get to be shown on the first page of the Google search results somehow and users would be able to browse the solutions from that link without logging in.
Glenn Schroeder

I love the reply from Josh Brady at https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... INsPGUAYoQ.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

For those not wanting to bother going over there (emphasis added):
image.png
More gold from @josh.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Cbecks Design wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:47 pm Perhaps this forum could get to be shown on the first page of the Google search results somehow and users would be able to browse the solutions from that link without logging in.
That's the goal, but only users and content can get us there. You should be able to read without logging in. Google should be able to give you search results without logging in.

We do get #1 for "CAD agnostic forum" https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cad+agnostic+ ... 1-1&ia=web which is great since everyone's searching for that.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I just got a nice mail from my VAR telling me that he was able to get me a 1 month trial of the 3DXPerience Platform using 3DCreator and 3DSculptor. Not really sure yet what those are, but when I'll have some free time I'll definetly have a little talk with my VAR to get to know what they are exactly in relation to SolidWorks and then activate the trial and have a go at it on my spare time.

Glad he was able to get me the trial, I've actually been asking around a bit for this, even the people on the actual platform weren't able to get me an actual trial.

What I'm getting from that is that Dassault is trying to adress the elephant in the room that is "What will happen to VAR's once we move to 3DX, what money will we save if they are to be removed from the picture?"

Let's not be too optimistic though.
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

Alex I don't think we will all be moving over to 3Dexperience any time soon or more over forced to. I would go as far to say Standalone solidworks will be here for at least a decade to come. There are too many seats and too many customers who can't see a reason to move to it.
AlexLachance

RichGergely wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:00 pm Alex I don't think we will all be moving over to 3Dexperience any time soon or more over forced to. I would go as far to say Standalone solidworks will be here for at least a decade to come. There are too many seats and too many customers who can't see a reason to move to it.
I hope so as well, but I have my doubts with the way they've been doing things the last few years, so I'd rather investigate into it right now then end up with the surprise later down the road. Plus, I'm kind of happy for my VAR too because he seemed pretty bummed out about the platform too
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

""What will happen to VAR's once we move to 3DX" could be the reason for one of my old VAR's to create the Gold, Silver and Bronze levels of support. 😉
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

matt wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:28 am That's the goal, but only users and content can get us there. You should be able to read without logging in. Google should be able to give you search results without logging in.

We do get #1 for "CAD agnostic forum" https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cad+agnostic+ ... 1-1&ia=web which is great since everyone's searching for that.
Although, we're 2nd on the list if you search for "Cad Forum" https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cad+forum&kp=1&t=ffab&ia=web
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
dave.laban

Mr Law may have found my next revenue stream.
image.png
Glenn Schroeder

zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:31 am This one is going well: https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... WeFL2iGRvg
Did they just make up some new word <()>
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
KQuigley

Unread post by KQuigley »

matt wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:03 pm Maybe this is sounding like a broken record, but Solid Edge reads SW native and can reconnect translated drawings to translated models.
How well does it actually do this though? Can it handle a 20 sheet Solidworks drawing, referencing assemblies and parts, with many configurations? The issue with drawings is that if it is not exactly the same, it takes considerable time to correct. Multiply that by thousands of drawings and you have a very unhappy workforce asking “why did we change?”
matt

Unread post by matt »

KQuigley wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:23 pm How well does it actually do this though? Can it handle a 20 sheet Solidworks drawing, referencing assemblies and parts, with many configurations? The issue with drawings is that if it is not exactly the same, it takes considerable time to correct. Multiply that by thousands of drawings and you have a very unhappy workforce asking “why did we change?”
Solid edge and Solidworks don't do assemblies in the same ways. I haven't made any 20 sheet drawings in a while, so I don't have any to test, but it does simple drawings, and multisheet is not a huge complication, so I assume it does that. The things I tested worked. It wouldn't be a bad thing to test this yourself.

It translates features, but not all features, and it translates them as synchronous features, not as history based features.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

matt wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:28 am Solid edge and Solidworks don't do assemblies in the same ways. I haven't made any 20 sheet drawings in a while, so I don't have any to test, but it does simple drawings, and multisheet is not a huge complication, so I assume it does that. The things I tested worked. It wouldn't be a bad thing to test this yourself.

It translates features, but not all features, and it translates them as synchronous features, not as history based features.
Honestly... This sounds like really amazing stuff.
Even if it is not history based it is as good as it gets, I think.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

matt wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:28 am Solid edge and Solidworks don't do assemblies in the same ways.
Can you please elaborate on that statement?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
dave.laban

Punctuation in your name? No 3DE for you! o[

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... ZOgP4pVzZg
image.png
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

In the early years of the internet, I had several sites refuse to allow me to register due to the email address provided by Time Warner. First initial last name turns Scott Perman into SPerman, which included a word they considered naughty.
-
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:31 am In the early years of the internet, I had several sites refuse to allow me to register due to the email address provided by Time Warner. First initial last name turns Scott Perman into SPerman, which included a word they considered naughty.
Lol, that must have gotten you a sweet nick name :lol:
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I decided to own it.
image.png
-
jcapriotti

SPerman wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:38 am I decided to own it.

image.png
;; Oh what other motorists must think. I think this posts belongs under the Joke of Day thread as I nearly sprayed my monitors with coffee.
Jason
jcapriotti

SPerman wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:38 am I decided to own it.

image.png
Scott, you know what's worse......I never saw this before.....now I can't unsee it. <()>
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

If I ever had a male child, and a wife with a sense of humor, I would name him Steven Ulysses. I'll wait while you do the math. :)
-
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

SPerman wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:03 pm If I ever had a male child, and a wife with a sense of humor, I would name him Steven Ulysses. I'll wait while you do the math. :)
Attachments
giphy.gif
jcapriotti

SPerman wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:03 pm If I ever had a male child, and a wife with a sense of humor, I would name him Steven Ulysses. I'll wait while you do the math. :)
I take it your middle name initial is not a "U" or you'd already done that?
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

David Scott.
-
matt

Unread post by matt »

SPerman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:34 pm Can you please elaborate on that statement?
Mmm. You know I think I was talking about configurations and some of the more advanced inter-part relationships you can create in assemblies. Just to say that you can't expect a translation to be totally 1-to-1 when the functions aren't really equivalent.

Here are some videos that might explain some differences:
matt

Unread post by matt »

Here's an article that was published 5 years ago. I don't think the big questions it raises have been answered yet. It's as if someone wrote the article yesterday. DS has a vision, but it's a vision that applies to a small segment of the CAD customer base, yet it's being foisted on all of us, and we are being funneled down into this plan " whether or not they realize that today", as the article says.

https://www.engineering.com/story/is-3d ... -tv-report

Do you remember the 1990s? No of course you don't. Most of you were born in the 90s. Anyway, in the 90s, they promised us a lot of things:

- paper drawings would become extinct in 10 years
- there was the persistent VRML (virtual reality markup language) that failed a couple of times and is only gaining traction 30 years later
- by engineers for engineers became by accountants down engineers throats
- CAD on every engineer's desktop has come and gone right back where it came from - CAD and all your data on a centralized server

Somebody got distracted and changed directions. You know the saying about "never meet your hero", right? Well, the new one is never achieve your goal, keep it just out of reach. Goals are not about achieving something, they're about just keeping you moving with that carrot-stick thing. You never get there, just keep turning that tread mill. And for what.
dave.laban

matt wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:30 pm DS has a vision, but it's a vision that applies to a small segment of the CAD customer base, yet it's being foisted on all of us, and we are being funneled down into this plan " whether or not they realize that today", as the article says.
Reminds me a bit of Microsoft with Windows 8, seemingly planning for a vision of the future where we were all on touchscreen devices, neglecting the fact that a huge percentage of the install base would not be on such a computer. Catering for the niche led to all sorts of terrible feedback and things were pared back to a much more usable Win10.

Unfortunately I don't see a sensible climbdown path for DS. Call me old fashioned but if they made 3DE a better product and they'd probably have more takeup.
Glenn Schroeder

dave.laban

The fact that the first post is "edited" makes me think it was one of the spam posts where they copy and paste something from somewhere vaguely related to the title, then chuck a URL in at the end that takes you somewhere unsavoury.

3DSwym being 3DSwym though, the moderators don't delete the post and block the user, they just edit the post to remove the offending URL...
AlexLachance

lol, that guy is a bot. It uses vague generalizations to make claims without providing any actual content or proof.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:03 am lol, that guy is a bot. It uses vague generalizations to make claims without providing any actual content or proof.
Or a real human being in Sales & Marketing.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:03 am lol, that guy is a bot. It uses vague generalizations to make claims without providing any actual content or proof.
bnemec wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:39 am Or a real human being in Sales & Marketing.
So, a human bot.

SWX Sales/Marketing break room has a purple Kool-Aid fountain. All must drink from it.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
dave.laban

But hey, at least we can now have categories like any web forum from c1990 right...right?? https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... FW7qUj41LA
dave.laban

Wait wait wait...you can't rename files in 3DE??

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... _tO3os6sBw
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

I dunno why, but this one really grated my cheese.
image.png
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

josh wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:39 pm I dunno why, but this one really grated my cheese.

image.png
I'm with you 100%!!

I just found that thread and apparently Matthew deleted his reply. I hope he apologized to you.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch