Does anyone actually use 3DExperience in a productive manner?

Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Does anyone actually use 3DExperience? Still waiting.......

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

josh wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:39 pm I dunno why, but this one really grated my cheese.

image.png
I don't blame you. While I don't know him well, I've talked to Matt on the phone a time or two and he seems okay, but I agree he missed the mark with this one.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

josh wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:39 pm I dunno why, but this one really grated my cheese.

image.png
Aniil is a great representation of 3DX. Matthew's response was spam. It brought nothing forward to the thread besides trying to give bad publicity to the aforementioned company and shunting you.
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

Nope... Looks like he edited my first reply to remove the part about asking incomplete questions. In a DM he was like "we don't want to devolve into a reddit type flame war" or something like that. He also said that my company name is publicly visible. Not that it's so terrible, but based on my privacy settings I don't believe it should be. Plus it's not right either (I've switched companies since then), but I don't see in my profile where it says 4XTechnologies. Is that something you can see? If so, do you mind dropping a screenshot of where it shows up?
AlexLachance

josh wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:45 am Nope... Looks like he edited my first reply to remove the part about asking incomplete questions. In a DM he was like "we don't want to devolve into a reddit type flame war" or something like that. He also said that my company name is publicly visible. Not that it's so terrible, but based on my privacy settings I don't believe it should be. Plus it's not right either (I've switched companies since then), but I don't see in my profile where it says 4XTechnologies. Is that something you can see? If so, do you mind dropping a screenshot of where it shows up?
It doesn't show up for me. (frenchness ahead).

Don't believe Matt, he's not in the loop, he's a peasant put in place to take the rocks thrown at 3DS. Worst part is he doesn't even realize it. He knows only what they need him to know, nothing more.

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png (13.84 KiB) Viewed 13744 times
dave.laban
Answers: 4

Unread post by dave.laban »

josh wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:45 am Nope... Looks like he edited my first reply to remove the part about asking incomplete questions. In a DM he was like "we don't want to devolve into a reddit type flame war" or something like that. He also said that my company name is publicly visible. Not that it's so terrible, but based on my privacy settings I don't believe it should be. Plus it's not right either (I've switched companies since then), but I don't see in my profile where it says 4XTechnologies. Is that something you can see? If so, do you mind dropping a screenshot of where it shows up?
This is what's visible on your profile to me at the moment.
image.png
josh

Unread post by josh »

Interesting... Looks like Dave can see more than Alex can?

What a garbage platform that privacy settings don't even work.

Unless I don't understand what "Company only" means. Actually, now that I think of it, the swamp was originally intended to be a collaborative workspace or something, right? With each company having its own workspace? And then when they killed the forum they just made a workspace for all of SolidWorks? In which case "Company only" means everyone on the forum. I wonder if the difference in visibility has to do with that "author" role that they took everyone off of so that nobody submits "ideas" that are really questions?
image.png
AlexLachance

josh wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:56 am Interesting... Looks like Dave can see more than Alex can?
I've most likely been struck with restraints because I'm an @$$ to them. :lol:

Maybe they cut something off hoping it would fix some issues without knowing what the consequences would be. That wouldn't surprise me much either.
dave.laban

josh wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:56 am Interesting... Looks like Dave can see more than Alex can?

Unless I don't understand what "Company only" means. Actually, now that I think of it, the swamp was originally intended to be a collaborative workspace or something, right? With each company having its own workspace? And then when they killed the forum they just made a workspace for all of SolidWorks? In which case "Company only" means everyone on the forum. I wonder if the difference in visibility has to do with that "author" role that they took everyone off of so that nobody submits "ideas" that are really questions?

image.png
What can you see of my profile? I think I've got all the same privacy settings as you.

Edit; actually my bad, I'm set to "Nobody".
image.png
AlexLachance

image.png
They probably can't answer that themselves. I wonder why they don't rename themselves 2DXperiences. They clearly have no sight of depth.
Glenn Schroeder

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:57 am I've most likely been struck with restraints because I'm an @$$ to them. :lol:

Maybe they cut something off hoping it would fix some issues without knowing what the consequences would be. That wouldn't surprise me much either.
I'm seeing the same thing you are. Maybe I'm on the naughty list too.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

dave.laban wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:54 am This is what's visible on your profile to me at the moment.
image.png
I'm seeing the same as you Dave, @josh's company name as well as location
josh

Unread post by josh »

@dave.laban here's what I can see for you:
image.png
dave.laban

Thanks. Looks like "Nobody" does as promised at least. I assume there's a Wiki buried somewhere on Swym that "explains" it all. Although going by the profile picture that might not be the right "me".
josh

Unread post by josh »

Are you guys "Authors"?

I tried to look it up on the "Members" page, but it looks like it will only load about 25 people.
image.png
If anyone goes to look at it again... I just set it to "Nobody". Hopefully that works.
dave.laban

Seems to have done the trick.
image.png
AlexLachance

This feels like Pre-Musk Twitter lol
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:28 am This feels like Pre-Musk Twitter lol
Alex, that's going to cost you $7.99/month (that's C$10.68 at today's exchange rate).
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

josh wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:21 am Are you guys "Authors"?

I tried to look it up on the "Members" page, but it looks like it will only load about 25 people.
Not currently, but I was initially during that "Everybody is an author" phase
AlexLachance

DennisD wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:51 am Alex, that's going to cost you $7.99/month (that's C$10.68 at today's exchange rate).
i'd pay in a heartbeat if that meant implementing some form of integrity and accountability over there. Sadly, it'll remain an endless pit of dream shoveling and deception.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:02 am i'd pay in a heartbeat if that meant implementing some form of integrity and accountability over there. Sadly, it'll remain an endless pit of dream shoveling and deception.
They are certainly shoveling something over there!
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:02 am i'd pay in a heartbeat if that meant implementing some form of integrity and accountability over there. Sadly, it'll remain an endless pit of dream shoveling and deception.
@AlexLachance,
You are unfortunately wrong...it'll also include a lot of despair and frustration.
TomPar
Answers: 0

Unread post by TomPar »

I've had the "joy" of implementing this tool at my new job. After about 3 weeks of reading manuals, watching videos, and playing around I feel like I'm getting it. I've been doing CAD admin for a couple decades, and I'm the type of guy who actually reads instruction manuals. If it takes me this long to learn the basics, I can't imagine what it'll be like for Joe Six Pack.

What most frustrating is the core technology is actually pretty good. If they just stripped things down and got rid of the apps/features that most people will never use it'd be so much better. And they need to take some major lessons from consumer oriented software companies to learn how to do community engagement right.
mgibeault

Unread post by mgibeault »

TomPar wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:22 pm I've had the "joy" of implementing this tool at my new job. After about 3 weeks of reading manuals, watching videos, and playing around I feel like I'm getting it. I've been doing CAD admin for a couple decades, and I'm the type of guy who actually reads instruction manuals. If it takes me this long to learn the basics, I can't imagine what it'll be like for Joe Six Pack.

What most frustrating is the core technology is actually pretty good. If they just stripped things down and got rid of the apps/features that most people will never use it'd be so much better. And they need to take some major lessons from consumer oriented software companies to learn how to do community engagement right.
Good luck :?
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

This should be productive
image.png
AlexLachance

AlexB wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:38 pm This should be productive
image.png
God I hate all these acronyms to try and describe things that shouldn't be abreviated.

For those wondering:
EOY = End Of Year
AMA = Ask Me Anything

I don't expect any actual answers to come out of it. It's a publicity stunt.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I have a little more respect for DSS. I had no idea they were into motorcycles.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
dave.laban

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:03 pm God I hate all these acronyms to try and describe things that shouldn't be abreviated.

For those wondering:
EOY = End Of Year
AMA = Ask Me Anything

I don't expect any actual answers to come out of it. It's a publicity stunt.
That's why it's called an ASK me anything, not "I'll ANSWER anything".

On a side note I've managed to wrangle a one-on-one meeting with someone responsible for the new SW Enhancement Ideas community to try and figure out WTF is the plan so I'm kind of hoping that one at least might get some answers.
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

dave.laban wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:31 am That's why it's called an ASK me anything, not "I'll ANSWER anything".

On a side note I've managed to wrangle a one-on-one meeting with someone responsible for the new SW Enhancement Ideas community to try and figure out WTF is the plan so I'm kind of hoping that one at least might get some answers.
I am really amaze at folks who is still willing to keep providing input on the SWYMP improvement...

I used to attend the AMA session and provided ideas/feedbacks... but when they announced that they are locking/shutting down the ideal funnel/community/whatever it is called, it is the last straw for me, i couldn't careless anymore
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
dave.laban

I've also largely given up on Swym improvements, but I do still care about the ER process. I'll concede the current system isn't perfect, but moving it all on to Swym seems an even worse step, not helped by a general lack of communication as to how it's going to work.
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

dave.laban wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:34 am as to how it's going to work.
They have no clue about how it did work, and no idea of how it should work. So what to expect? Based on the 3Dexperience I have had with the SWYM and it's moderators, .......... <()>
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.3ds.com
Finally found install files for the 3d experience launcher (which was not what i purchased, but apparently needed). Installed it and realized it replaced localhost with their own servers in the windows hosts file (that is pretty much malware behaviour and will mess up any application using localhost
Anyone wanna try and see if it's real? **
AlexLachance

I'll be trying out 3DMaker and 3DSculptor along with maybe the sheet metal extension sometime along next week and maybe during the holidays if the trial stretches that far. Wonder if I'll regret it.
Frederick_Law

No regret for trying.
Always good to learn new things.
Doesn't matter if the new thing works or not.
AlexLachance

Haven't tried it out yet but the process has begun. I was added to to the Model Mania platform, which oddly seems to have a different profile then my "Dassault systèmes" platform.
image.png
image.png
Frederick_Law

That's probably first confusion user got, which account to use where.
AlexLachance

Well just got done with an hour long presentation that was ridldled with bugs which leads me to believe they're definetly not going to be forcing people to chose between SolidWorks and that platform anytime soon.
mattpeneguy

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:19 pm Well just got done with an hour long presentation that was ridldled with bugs which leads me to believe they're definetly not going to be forcing people to chose between SolidWorks and that platform anytime soon.
Was the platform ready when they eliminated the forum?...Is it a good replacement, yet? Why would it need to be ready before they try to force you over there for CAD?
Edit to add: I still blame @DennisD for how awful that platform turned out. If only he'd done more, told them how bad it was, or something...
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:13 pm Was the platform ready when they eliminated the forum?...Is it a good replacement, yet? Why would it need to be ready before they try to force you over there for CAD?
Edit to add: I still blame @DennisD for how awful that platform turned out. If only he'd done more, told them how bad it was, or something...
Nobody listens to me.
image.png
- - -Randy Pausch
AlexLachance

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:13 pm Was the platform ready when they eliminated the forum?...Is it a good replacement, yet? Why would it need to be ready before they try to force you over there for CAD?
I understand your point but the forum was not a revenue source, I don't think the comparison can be made.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

It sounds like someone is starting to drink the kool-aid. :)
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:43 pm It sounds like someone is starting to drink the kool-aid. :)
Well, it certainly reassured me that SolidWorks wasn't going to be replaced by this anytime soon. :P
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I can't imagine what would leave you with that impression. Over the last few years DSS has made decision after decision that makes no sense to anyone outside of the board room. Killing desktop solidworks seems like the next logical move.

No one is going to move to the platform as long as they have a desktop solution. The only way to guarantee success is to kill the desktop alternative
-
mattpeneguy

SPerman wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:09 am I can't imagine what would leave you with that impression. Over the last few years DSS has made decision after decision that makes no sense to anyone outside of the board room. Killing desktop solidworks seems like the next logical move.

No one is going to move to the platform as long as they have a desktop solution. The only way to guarantee success is to kill the desktop alternative
Why did you put that in sarcasm font? That's the most unsarcastic thing you could possibly post.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

SPerman wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:09 am I can't imagine what would leave you with that impression. Over the last few years DSS has made decision after decision that makes no sense to anyone outside of the board room. Killing desktop solidworks seems like the next logical move.

No one is going to move to the platform as long as they have a desktop solution. The only way to guarantee success they move to the cloud is to kill the desktop alternative
FIFY
- - -Randy Pausch
Frederick_Law

Best Disruptive Innovation so far.
I dare DS to make a vote like Elon.
mgibeault

Unread post by mgibeault »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:51 am Well, it certainly reassured me that SolidWorks wasn't going to be replaced by this anytime soon. :P
I'm sure it will be sooner than you wish.
Seeing how poorly the platform is setup, from the 12-logins-a-day, to the more than 40 different apps that you'll need to try before finding the command you want, the numerous bugs...
Dassault is committed and are putting a lot of ressources to answer our complaints but the problem is so deep we see no way it could be the future of our CAD.
wgering

Unread post by wgering »

Hi all, I have some tales from the trenches...

We started using SolidWorks Connected on 3DX about three months ago, as a direct replacement for F360. Yes, we're a startup, how did you guess?

Anyway, our CEO really liked the sound of all those corporate buzzwords in all the 3DX promo materials and signed us up for a three-year subscription; I'm sure this decision had nothing to do with the fact that our VAR offers a HEFTY discount on SolidWorks Connected/3DX whereas desktop SW and SW PDM would have been full-price...

As the only member of our team with patience for learning new tech, I got promoted to be our 3DX Platform Admin and get everything set up so we can onboard new users quickly and easily as we expand our design and manufacturing team. Easy, right? Oh and I also need to keep doing design work on the next version of our product, which is supposed to go into production mid-January. No pressure.

It took a solid two days just to start to get a handle on the interface, which I find incredibly opaque and unintuitive. The UI/UX design seems heavily inspired by social media UI, in a way that makes me feel like I'm using Facebook to manage all my data. Maybe it's because I haven't used Facebook (or other social media really) for going on a decade now, but I think Dassault made a huge mistake in following that design trend here. Note that I'm not even talking about 3DSwym here, I just mean like the general layout of the dashboards, apps, where icons are and what they do, finding and navigating menus, etc. And don't get me started on that frakkin compass. Even after three months of use, I still have to keep the documentation open in the next tab to look up how to perform what I think should be very basic operations (such as adding a saved SolidWorks sketch block file to a collab space, which the platform still refuses to let me do for unspecified reasons).

This brings me to my next complaint...the platform bugs out frequently and rarely offers any useful feedback to the user to diagnose the problem. I will routinely try to do pretty basic-seeming stuff, like delete a file from a collab space, and 3DX will tell me the operation cannot be performed. That's it; no error code, no troubleshooting suggestions, just "Nope, can't!" As an example, immediately following the R2023x update I lost the ability to save files from SW to the 3DX server (you may note that this capability is one of the primary selling points of the platform...) for a full THREE DAYS before an application engineer from my VAR figured it out; in the meantime, I was just presented with the thoroughly-unhelpful message "The file format is not recognized." (for those curious, the issue was a corrupted swdocumentmgr.dll that required a complete reinstall of SolidWorks and re-registering the .dll file to correct). I was able to back everything up on my local and upload eventually, but like...come on guys...this is literally like the whole point of this cloud-based chicanery. grumph

Oh and I hope you like getting your SW license checked, because it will do that about 40,000 times a day and generates a popup notification every time. And if you have unstable internet for some reason, prepare to have SW crash on you at least once every other day and sometimes as many as 3-4 times a day, depending on how bad your connection is (if license check fails 5+ times, SW go bye-bye) o[

I do actually have a few good things to say about the platform...but only a few...and later...
WGERING 2023 has encountered
a problem and needs to close.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Looks like the thread title can be updated again.
wgering

Re: Does anyone actually use 3DExperience in a productive manner?

Unread post by wgering »

Just chiming in here with another tale of unbridled success from the 3DExperience Platform...

Dassault pushed an update over the weekend, with a hotfix this afternoon; after installing both (a process which took over an hour and two machine restarts), I am now ONCE AGAIN unable to save any of my files to our cloud server. 10/10, would update again; I never liked doing useful productive work anyway. grumph

Stay away folks...
WGERING 2023 has encountered
a problem and needs to close.
dave.laban

Re: Does anyone actually use 3DExperience in a productive manner?

Interesting data point they've published; https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... vqWYgSidwA
image.png