Does anyone actually use 3DExperience in a productive manner?

Tom G
Answers: 0

Re: Does anyone actually use 3DExperience?

Unread post by Tom G »

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:28 pm AFAIK, 3DEXP Works desktop =! SW.
But, maybe it is...I didn't get the memo, if so...
https://www.solidworks.com/3dexperience-works
I never realized before that there is a 3DExperience Draftsight. <()> though I guess it does fill a gap and stick with the theme.
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Notice there trying to convert SW users :roll:
Learn, engage, discover, and share knowledge with other SOLIDWORKS users ABOUT 3DEXPERIENCE works, desktop, cloud-connected, or pure cloud.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Tom G wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:06 pm I never realized before that there is a 3DExperience Draftsight. <()> though I guess it does fill a gap and stick with the theme.
I wonder if it crashes just as much as the original draftsight? The ammount of threads made on a daily basis about people having crashes because of attemtping a scale or rotate is simply ridiculous.

What's even funnier is they redirected their forum there, so now what everyone basically sees is a constant feed of people having DraftSight crashes!
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

I know some of you go to the 3DE site. Are any of you having issues with it?

Last week my notifications refused to load and still have not. Today some of the posts refuse to load. Maybe they're slowly kicking me out?
JSculley
Answers: 52

Unread post by JSculley »

MJuric wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:32 am I know some of you go to the 3DE site. Are any of you having issues with it?

Last week my notifications refused to load and still have not. Today some of the posts refuse to load. Maybe they're slowly kicking me out?
You may gain some insight into the problem by using Chrome's developer tools. Go to the SWYM site and then press CTRL-SHIFT-I (that's I as in indigo). Click on the Notifications button and in the Developer Tools window, look for errors in the Console at the bottom.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

JSculley wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:55 am You may gain some insight into the problem by using Chrome's developer tools. Go to the SWYM site and then press CTRL-SHIFT-I (that's I as in indigo). Click on the Notifications button and in the Developer Tools window, look for errors in the Console at the bottom.
I have nearly no idea what I'm looking at but when I go to that page and reload I get 2 errors and 29 warnings. When I click the notifications button I get an additional 4 errors and a duplicate warning.
image.png
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Update your java
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:50 pm Update your java
I update my java every morning. Sometimes I add flavors or cream, other times just straight.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Stop wasting your time trying to make something work that is terminally broken?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
JSculley
Answers: 52

Unread post by JSculley »

MJuric wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:41 pm I have nearly no idea what I'm looking at but when I go to that page and reload I get 2 errors and 29 warnings. When I click the notifications button I get an additional 4 errors and a duplicate warning.
image.png
Does it behave correctly if you browse there with an Incognito window? (CTRL+SHIFT+N)? If so, you may have a browser extension that is causing problems.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

JSculley wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:41 pm Does it behave correctly if you browse there with an Incognito window? (CTRL+SHIFT+N)? If so, you may have a browser extension that is causing problems.
Incognito did in fact work, but the only browser extensions I have are.
image.png
which if one of those are causing issues not really much I can do about it.

Not really worth putting that much time into it I suppose.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

MJuric wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:32 am I know some of you go to the 3DE site. Are any of you having issues with it?

I log in there about once a week. Scroll through to see if I can answer any of the questions.....then log out.

I have gotten notifications to load a total of 1 time.....ever. I always check though.

I am using Firefox
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Frederick_Law

MJuric wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:19 pm Incognito did in fact work, but the only browser extensions I have are.

image.png which if one of those are causing issues not really much I can do about it.

Not really worth putting that much time into it I suppose.
Cisco or Foxit
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

dpihlaja wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:15 am I log in there about once a week. Scroll through to see if I can answer any of the questions.....then log out.

I have gotten notifications to load a total of 1 time.....ever. I always check though.

I am using Firefox
Without notifications the place is even more worthless. You essentially can not follow threads unless you book mark them and who wants to book mark, un book mark etc etc?

>>>
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Ok, so, I just went there to check my notifications and it sat for about 5 minutes thinking....then gave me this message:
image.png
Success: false

;;
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

dpihlaja wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:20 am Ok, so, I just went there to check my notifications and it sat for about 5 minutes thinking....then gave me this message:

image.png

;;
This is what I get this morning:
LOADING2.gif
LOADING2.gif (14.73 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

dpihlaja wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:20 am Ok, so, I just went there to check my notifications and it sat for about 5 minutes thinking....then gave me this message:

image.png

;;
I got that, posted about it and was told. "We are having problems try clearing you cache". I cleared my cache and haven't been able to get my notifications since, that was last Tues or Wed. I've posted twice about it since and get no response.

Since then I've also had two posts that I couldn't get to load.

The suggestion to use an "Incognito Tab" worked....but quite frankly there's not enough over there to make me go thru all the hassle.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

What I keep wondering is if the SWYM app or communities or forum(not) app functions this poorly then why would potential customers believe that the solid modeling app or PDM/PDL app or simulation app would work any better? Customer portal is a cluster to get logged into, I've figured out a four step secret handshake login process that will get me access to the KB. Then CAD Admin Tool is... I'm not sure what to call it. Does any of their web based stuff (platform and others) actually work most of the time?
Frederick_Law

The webapp is from the future. So your notification will be there tomorrow.
christian chu
Answers: 0

Unread post by christian chu »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:22 am This is what I get this morning:
LOADING2.gif
Exactly what I saw each time I visited the site. It's more than a month now (from Apr.2nd) and things haven't gotten better. It discourages me to visit the site since they put everything in one place so it's slow on anything you want to try there. Totally disaster !!!
mattpeneguy

christian chu wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:54 am Exactly what I saw each time I visited the site. It's more than a month now (from Apr.2nd) and things haven't gotten better. It discourages me to visit the site since they put everything in one place so it's slow on anything you want to try there. Totally disaster !!!
Look @christian chu,
They've only been working on it since 2012...and they've only got 500+ people working on it...cut them some slack...
mattpeneguy

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:27 pm Look @christian chu,
They've only been working on it since 2012...and they've only got 500+ people working on it...cut them some slack...
But looks like they may have brought on @AlexLachance...
image.png
image.png (2.68 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
So things may start to turn around?
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

No I just wanted to feel important :(
mattpeneguy

AlexLachance wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:58 pm No I just wanted to feel important :(
I completely understand...
I posted over there that I feel smarter and an inch taller since I made this change:
image.png
image.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Interesting post over there.

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... zjCRW5gQUw

I'm not afraid to admit when I wrong so if they implement most of these I will be wrong. I honestly did not believe they would largely reformat the layout just for the SW community users.
mattpeneguy

MJuric wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:12 pm Interesting post over there.

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... zjCRW5gQUw

I'm not afraid to admit when I wrong so if they implement most of these I will be wrong. I honestly did not believe they would largely reformat the layout just for the SW community users.
Not me! @Frederick_Law and I have too much fun over there...

Interesting...If they do make all those changes they may turn the 3DAssault 3DExperience into a 3DAnnoyance 3DExperience...

It's fun to think about all 500+ people working on this over there like this:
tenor.gif
tenor.gif (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2269 times
But, I kinda figured they were doing something productive...
Frederick_Law

The difference will make it difficult for anyone using both in the platform.
mattpeneguy

They should have listened and worked all this out before removing the old forum...I've said it before and I'll say it again they're trying to force a round square into a round hole. That platform isn't a forum and while they may make it more "usable" through extraordinary effort, I doubt it'll ever be as user friendly and useful as this place here.

Keep in mind that they are talking about rolling out MAJOR changes to their platform. With the state of it after being pretty much under development after at least 9 years when we all got pushed into it, just look at all the problems we found. Hell the notifications are hopelessly broken, still. So, I'm pretty sure whatever they roll out is going to be broken, it's just a question of how badly...
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

..yep.. it's simple,... the content needs to be in a larger categorize format, broken in subjects which can be easily seen, sorted and accessed.
The current dinky linear scroll feed ui is useless and needs to go away,..that is.. not a hyper focused adhd phone ui design :shock:
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

zxys001 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:00 pm ..that is.. not a hyper focused adhd phone ui design :shock:
But I need constant creative mental simulation and instant gratification to be able to function
Frederick_Law

They're trying to refloat a sunken boat with holes all over the hull and deck.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

zxys001 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:00 pm ..yep.. it's simple,... the content needs to be in a larger categorize format, broken in subjects which can be easily seen, sorted and accessed.
The current dinky linear scroll feed ui is useless and needs to go away,..that is.. not a hyper focused adhd phone ui design :shock:
I actually think the tagging system is not completely terrible and could easily present a good representation of what a sub forum would be. However tags ONLY work if they are consistent and mandatory neither of which is taking place at the moment.

You'll never find all the posts in the last two months relating to PDM...because none of them are tagged.

If you were forced to pick a tag in the same way you are forced to pick a sub forum here and or in just about ever other forum on the planet, tags would work just fine.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

bnemec wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:17 pm But I need constant creative mental simulation and instant gratification to be able to function
yep..
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
mattpeneguy

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:25 pm They're trying to refloat a sunken boat with holes all over the hull and deck.
I know...But at least you and I are offering some constructive criticism...The rest of these guys need to do the same...Just sayin'
image.png
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Well, at least they are TRYING to fix something...

But what about all those issue related to the forum migration?

Most of my old forum bookmarked post is still literally unreadable...

→ API answer using quote had been broken
→ Nested reply is broken
→ Attachment is broken
And many many more broken stuff
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

The so called changes is slow and i already starting to lose my patience.
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
mattpeneguy

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:27 am The so called changes is slow and i already starting to lose my patience.
I lost all patience and respect when I found out they ignored the input from the group of users they tapped to help with the migration. They asked for all these changes prior to them shutting down the old forum. Let that sink in.

They thought they could just do what they did to us and what we want matters so little to them. Now, the only reason they are devoting the resources is because this forum exists and all the big guys are over here instead. They've admitted that they've got 500+ people trying to fix it. That is a huge amount of capitol to expend because some people at the top made a huge mistake.

Their problem, and the reason it's taking them so long is they've got the square peg in a round hole problem. Their platform is based on something similar to Reddit. Transforming that into a forum is apparently very time consuming and costly. I'll be impressed if they can do it, but expect a HUGE amount of bugs when they roll out this "fix".
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

MJuric wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:28 pm I actually think the tagging system is not completely terrible and could easily present a good representation of what a sub forum would be. However tags ONLY work if they are consistent and mandatory neither of which is taking place at the moment.

You'll never find all the posts in the last two months relating to PDM...because none of them are tagged.

If you were forced to pick a tag in the same way you are forced to pick a sub forum here and or in just about ever other forum on the planet, tags would work just fine.
I feel that a sub-forum is just a tag in the DB. You can move them around between sub-forums if given the access. PHPBB just needs to add the ability to add a post to more than one. That would be the most idea tag/sub-forum arrangement.
Jason
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

zxys001 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:00 pm ..yep.. it's simple,... the content needs to be in a larger categorize format, broken in subjects which can be easily seen, sorted and accessed.
It's simple all right. They need to admit they made a mistake and move the forum to a dedicated forum platform. Trying to make the swamp a user friendly forum platform isn't going to work, and I don't understand why they're even trying, unless it's just a matter of someone being too insecure to admit that he or she made a mistake.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:33 pm , unless it's just a matter of someone being too insecure to admit that he or she made a mistake.
First rule of being a C level executive, never admit fault, move ahead, milk the salary and bonus for as long as you can before they replace you. Then rinse and repeat.
Jason
mattpeneguy

I agree with the developers over there:
image.png
I like that there's not even a suggestion, just told it like it is...
Rob
Answers: 2

Unread post by Rob »

so I finally logged in because I needed to look at an old answer.
I was surprized that part worked very well.

but then WTAF!

absolute garbage - half the screen was blank and then the posts looked like this.
;;
image.png
notifications Loading...
dave.laban

Unread post by dave.laban »

L
o
o
k
s
g
o
o
d
t
o
m
e
Rob
Answers: 2

Unread post by Rob »

ƃuılloɹʇ ǝɯos op oʇ pǝʇdɯǝʇ ɯ'ı
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

jcapriotti wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:53 am I feel that a sub-forum is just a tag in the DB. You can move them around between sub-forums if given the access. PHPBB just needs to add the ability to add a post to more than one. That would be the most idea tag/sub-forum arrangement.
Yes, I agree. Tags, really are nothing more than a different method of creating sub forums. Again however unless you force that creation what you end up with is one sub forum with all the posts and no method to separate them.
mattpeneguy

Rob wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:10 am ƃuılloɹʇ ǝɯos op oʇ pǝʇdɯǝʇ ɯ'ı
@Rob,
@Frederick_Law and I can use your help.
image.png
Frederick_Law

mattpeneguy

MJuric wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:22 am Yes, I agree. Tags, really are nothing more than a different method of creating sub forums. Again however unless you force that creation what you end up with is one sub forum with all the posts and no method to separate them.
It's interesting that no one seems to be able to combine the tags and forum types of architecture and make it work well, to my knowledge. You typically see the Reddit and Facebook format or the traditional forum. I think there's a reason for that and DS is going to discover it all over again on their own...Good news is that their going to spend a lot of time and money on that instead of SW...
Frederick_Law

Next, reinvent the drawing board for the cloud.
Watch out for the flying T-square.
mattpeneguy

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:43 am Next, reinvent the drawing board for the cloud.
Watch out for the flying T-square.
@Frederick_Law,
you should make that suggestion over there and see if you get a response.