PDM what happens to group settings when a user is in more than one group.

Installation, PDM, standards, training, support, part numbering, rev schemes, etc.
bnemec
Answers: 10

PDM what happens to group settings when a user is in more than one group.

Unread post by bnemec »

Not so much a question as an observation. I'm still trying to figure out the right question to ask concerning this.

It appears that if you have users in more than one group and they have some settings different than the group, when you go to edit the group settings instead of getting some form of tri-stateable check boxes you get carte-blanche. First time I was hurriedly trying to add a single item to the right click menu for our design engineers group I didn't imagine that it would actually clear out the menu. It does. So any time I'm trying to change a group setting and it's cleared out I just cancel and move on to something else. Only ways I know around it is to do each user in the group manually, temporarily remove the users that are in other groups (not easy to know who they are without looking, thank goodness we can have more than one Administration tool process open at a time) or completely rebuild the groups so that no user is in more than one group.

In my simpleton mind a simple tri-state check box would do the trick here: cleared = remove for all in the group, checked = add for all users in the group, tri-state = do not change for any users.
image.png
by jcapriotti » Wed May 12, 2021 5:34 pm
Definitely an area that could use some cleanup. The settings are stored on the user. Editing from the group "tries" to show the settings for the whole group. In areas where there are checkboxes, you might see a "filled" checkbox indicating that some users have it checked and some don't. The menus are worse as it disappears when one user deviates. I fix it by recopying from a known "good" user. This can get problematic if a user is in multiple groups.

In general I try to modify the menus so that all users have the same menu layouts. At most, I might have a simplified one for a "viewer" only group.
Go to full post
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: PDM what happens to group settings when a user is in more than one group.

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Definitely an area that could use some cleanup. The settings are stored on the user. Editing from the group "tries" to show the settings for the whole group. In areas where there are checkboxes, you might see a "filled" checkbox indicating that some users have it checked and some don't. The menus are worse as it disappears when one user deviates. I fix it by recopying from a known "good" user. This can get problematic if a user is in multiple groups.

In general I try to modify the menus so that all users have the same menu layouts. At most, I might have a simplified one for a "viewer" only group.
Jason