What are your most impressive tricks of Solidworks

Tom G
Answers: 0

What are your most impressive tricks of Solidworks

Unread post by Tom G »

There was an archived thread from the old forums by this same name, and one of the densest and most diverse tips thread that I had found.
I have removed the PDF in which I had captured the comments, due to copyright. (I recommend that you capture what you want while you can)

Personally, I'm pleased to have contributed a few things in this thread. It began in 2016, so that its date is relevant at each post. Versions and capabilities (and bugs) change over time. To me, it kinda shows me what I learned and when, as I began using SWx in 2014 and was an avid forum-learner. To wit, I don't even use at least one tip that I had included because I found a different issue with it and have learned a different method (thus living with easier potential errors) thereafter. That one was mating parallel to axes not planes for geometric flexibility. I ended up using that only in certain cases, as any parallel/distance mate to an axis cannot be reversed or flipped, but coincident/concentric mates can. As with most cases, applicability applies.

I'll try to extract some topical wisdom from what I captured, in time, with credit to the authors.
Meanwhile, I open this thread to YOUR most impressive tricks. Thank you to all contributors. :idea:
matt
Answers: 18

Re: What are your most impressive tricks of Solidworks (Archive + new)

Unread post by matt »

Here are a couple that I like:

- using the A key to toggle between line and tangent arc
- using TAB and Shift TAB to hide and show bodies or parts
- using F8 to toggle the Display Pane that allows you to hide/show stuff and see its state easily
- F9 to hide/show the FeatureManager
- F10 to hide toolbars
- F11 to go full screen
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I recently learned a new one from Betty Baker. It's one of those cases where I can't believe I've been using the software as much as I have since 2009 and didn't know about it earlier.

I've often casually noticed the asterisk at the end of the file name at the very top of my monitor, but never gave it much thought. It turns out that if it's there then changes have been made to the file since it was last saved. If it's not there then there haven't been any. This is helpful for people like me whose memory isn't as good as it once was, and never was all that good to begin with, and can't remember if the file has been saved recently or not.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:39 am I recently learned a new one from Betty Baker. It's one of those cases where I can't believe I've been using the software as much as I have since 2009 and didn't know about it earlier.

I've often casually noticed the asterisk at the end of the file name at the very top of my monitor, but never gave it much thought. It turns out that if it's there then changes have been made to the file since it was last saved. If it's not there then there haven't been any. This is helpful for people like me whose memory isn't as good as it once was, and never was all that good to begin with, and can't remember if the file has been saved recently or not.
Dunno if you knew this, but you can also turn on "save" notifications.
2021-03-15 09_43_15-SOLIDWORKS Premium 2021 SP1.0 - [FB10 Assembly Prints - Assembly Detail 2 _].jpg
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Re: What are your most impressive tricks of Solidworks

Unread post by DennisD »

Tom G wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:25 pm There was an archived thread from the old forums by this same name, and one of the densest and most diverse tips thread that I had found.
I have removed the PDF in which I had captured the comments, due to copyright. (I recommend that you capture what you want while you can)
Tom, there is no copyright issue. All the replies to that thread were posted for anyone to see, even people that aren't registered users of the forum.

I think this thread is a great place to post your file, especially if it has been stripped of some of the non-contributing banter.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Okay, here are a few things I learned while preparing for the CSWE:
  • 1. Use the S-key and assign commands like measure, convert entities, etc.
    2. I use a Logitech g600 mouse and have assigned things like rebuild, copy, escape etc. to the side buttons.
    3. Use the D-key to bring the checkbox to your cursor, instead of having to move the cursor all the way back to the Feature Manager.
    4. Go to https://blogs.solidworks.com/tech/2021/ ... mania.html (I believe Deepak was the one that told me to go there, Thanks Deepak! it really helped) and do some of the model mania challenges. Then watch the videos. There are some really nice techniques and tricks in the videos.
    5. Add tools to your Command Manager using the search bar:
    add to toolbar.gif
    (Click to see animation)
    6. Use F5 to show and hide filters pallette.
    7. Use Hidden Lines Visible to select faces all faces of a part:
    select all faces.gif
    (Click to see animation)
    8. Use Select Other to get underlying faces without having to rotate the part.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Here are a few random tips of mine:
  • As @mattpeneguy said, use Select Other to select hidden faces or edges. However, there's another little widget that is even better. Right-clicking will hide the next face under your cursor. You can basically melt a hole into the part with it.
  • When adding a tangent relation, click on the intersection point instead of selecting both the line and arc.
  • Use Ctrl to disable Auto Relations when sketching
  • Add planes by Ctrl+dragging
  • Ctrl+Tab for cycling through open windows. Release Tab while still pressing Ctrl to see a list.
  • Copy with Mates. Amazing tool!
  • Property Tab Builder. If you haven't used it yet, you need to start.
I've got a lot more. I'll be adding them as I get time.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Glenn Schroeder

I guess we all have blind spots when using SW, or at least I know I do. Two features I resisted using for some reason, that I now use often and wouldn't want to do without are Quick Mates and Isolate.

Users often comment on their use of keyboard shortcuts. Maybe it's because I don't have an AutoCAD background, but I use very few. I am, however, a big believer in Mouse Gestures, and have 12 of them set up in all 4 SW environments. One big reason I like them is because I can still keep one hand on each mouse.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Despite the fact that I generally have limited things to add to this thread I absolutely LOVE this thread. It will never cease to amaze me how multiple great minds can come to so many great solutions to a problem.

Some of you have forgotten more about SW then I will ever know.
mattpeneguy

Turn on Dynamic Reference Visualization to be able to see dependencies and external references in the feature tree:
image.png
mike miller

Wean yourself off the Command Manager and use toolbars, mouse gestures, hotkeys, and the "S" key. Yes, in that order.

It's worth it. No more clicking through pages.....
2021-03-16 12_46_29.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Jaylin Hochstetler

I have a Logitech MX Master (I absolutely love it) mouse that I have 10 gestures mapped on it. It greatly speeds things up mostly in other programs as I use the SW mouse gestures setup in SW. I'd really like a 3D mouse but that costs money and I'm guessing y'all know how it goes when engineers need things!

Here's what my Logitech gestures look like:
2021-03-16 12_49_01-Logitech Options.jpg
2021-03-16 12_48_40-Logitech Options.jpg
Edit: One thing I use a lot is the button I have assigned as "Enter". This way I can close dialogues with out moving my mouse or hitting the "Enter" key on my keyboard (I never quite understood why they don't put another "Enter" button on the left so you don't have to take your hand off your mouse.) Saves a little bit of time and mouse miles.

I also use SW keyboard shortcuts for the common commands.
matt

Unread post by matt »

I don't like the S key or gestures. They guarantee an extra step. I use a lot of keyboard hotkeys, but that uses a lot of (human) memory.

What gets me is when the propertymanager shows up and covers over the featuremanager right where I need it. So I tend to split the propertymanager out as a separate panel.
mike miller

matt wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:53 pm I don't like the S key or gestures. They guarantee an extra step. I use a lot of keyboard hotkeys, but that uses a lot of (human) memory.

What gets me is when the propertymanager shows up and covers over the featuremanager right where I need it. So I tend to split the propertymanager out as a separate panel.
[snark] Umm...excuse me, but mouse gestures are just one fluid step (RMB and swipe). What more do you want? Mind activated toolbars? [/snark] :mrgreen:

I go back and forth on the Property Manager. I don't like it in the default location, but anywhere else is either in the way or too far to travel.
matt

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:57 pm
[snark] Umm...excuse me, but mouse gestures are just one fluid step (RMB and swipe). What more do you want? Mind activated toolbars? [/snark] :mrgreen:
You've got motion, which is more complicated than just hitting a button at a position. Plus, the RMB I hit with my ring finger, and it's just too clumsy. :ugeek: I don't know I guess I don't have a good reason to not like those things. I just use keyboard because it's consistent. (until you get it combined with the ALT keys like ALT F for file. That's a mess.)

Actually, writing books and doing videos I had to keep a pretty stock interface with a white background and do everything with as little customization as possible. I just got used to mainly running a stock interface, even though that's not really my preferred thing. If you publish a book with toolbars all missing and start flashing stuff on the screen, your inbox blows up with complaints. So I mostly run stock. And keyboard shortcuts work with the stock interface pretty well.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

When adding a tangent relation, click on the intersection point instead of selecting both the line and arc.
My god, I am still SO NEW! Amazing tip.
  • use TAB to hide a body
  • use SHIFT+TAB to show a body

Edit:
I recently learned a new one from Betty Baker. It's one of those cases where I can't believe I've been using the software as much as I have since 2009 and didn't know about it earlier.

Do you know about the file explorer in Solidworks? There is even more information in there. I need to look it up though. There was a Talk at the World2021 about optimizing performance, that had it in there:
10 essential tips to make SOLIDWORKS large assemblies faster with Nick Birkett-Smith
Tahhhd

Unread post by Tahhhd »

Here's a bunch of my favorites from several years ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTOgRm9-L3Y
t
matt

Unread post by matt »

Todd, or sorry, @Tahhhd , thanks for signing up and for posting! Bassi is so exhausting, though...
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Tahhhd wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:12 pm Here's a bunch of my favorites from several years ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTOgRm9-L3Y
t
Must be the most ugly presentation EVER!

One of my recent favorites:
  • select the parts you want to make - isolate
mattpeneguy

matt wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:53 pm I don't like the S key or gestures. They guarantee an extra step. I use a lot of keyboard hotkeys, but that uses a lot of (human) memory.

Interesting. So, I've got to ask how much you must hate the mouse gestures in SE? I got to test drive SE and their mouse gestures were on steroids compared to SW. I happen to like them and was very impressed with the way they implemented it.
Tahhhd

Unread post by Tahhhd »

matt wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:21 pm Todd, or sorry, @Tahhhd , thanks for signing up and for posting! Bassi is so exhausting, though...
I probably should have put in the "fast forward to 2:15 to get to the presentation" to save everyone some time.
d'oh!
t
Glenn Schroeder

I will respectfully disagree with @matt about Mouse Gestures.

image.png

matt

Unread post by matt »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:18 pm I will respectfully disagree with @matt about Mouse Gestures.

image.png
Don't worry about it. You're not the first, and it won't be the last time. Just wait til I start spewing heresy on fully defined sketches :shock:
mike miller

matt wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:33 pm
Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:18 pm I will respectfully disagree with @matt about Mouse Gestures.

image.png
Don't worry about it. You're not the first, and it won't be the last time. Just wait til I start spewing heresy on fully defined sketches :shock:

STOP MOVING MY BLUE LINES!!
Jaylin Hochstetler

mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern, mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern, mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern, mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern, mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern, mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern, mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern.
These will make your life sooooooo much easier.
mattpeneguy

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:42 pm mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern, mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern, mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern, mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern, mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern, mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern, mirror, linear pattern, circular pattern.
These will make your life sooooooo much easier.
You left one out, circular reference...
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Select nearly anything, then hit CTRL A and it automatically filters for the type of thing that you selected and selects everything.

Want to select all edges of a part file? Select an edge, and hit CTRL A.

Want to select all faces of a part? Select a face and hit CTRL A.

Want to select all notes (and balloons) in a drawing file (in that specific sheet)? Select a note and hit CTRL A

etc....
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Jaylin Hochstetler

dpihlaja wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:13 pm Select nearly anything, then hit CTRL A and it automatically filters for the type of thing that you selected and selects everything.

Want to select all notes (and balloons) in a drawing file (in that specific sheet)? Select a note and hit CTRL A

etc....
Cool, but I am not sure why you would need to select all the edges or faces on a part.
Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

it's useful for bugged-imported-PRT, to remove some "face color"
when "remove all color" doesn't work
but sometime the bug comes from the "imported feature" in the tree
(must apply a temporary color, to then be able to remove it)

or to count a total surface minus two or three (select all, then unselect specific)
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:53 pm
dpihlaja wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:13 pm Select nearly anything, then hit CTRL A and it automatically filters for the type of thing that you selected and selects everything.

etc....
Cool, but I am not sure why you would need to select all the edges or faces on a part.
I don't know either.....it was just an example that I knew worked. If you ever want to select all of anything, try it out.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Tahhhd

Unread post by Tahhhd »

dpihlaja wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:34 am

etc....
I don't know either.....it was just an example that I knew worked. If you ever want to select all of anything, try it out.
If I recall correctly, this is what I used in the SLUGME video to quickly select all of the edges of the solid to create my weldment geometry.
(I like this method better than my old method of rt-click a face, select "invert selection", ctrl+click to select the original face.)
t
Glenn Schroeder

etc....
I've done it to quickly select the edges to convert entities in a 3d sketch. (I learned about creating a solid body to drive a 3d sketch in a class at SW World a few years ago that was taught by @Alin and one of his colleagues. See the attached file. I didn't convert all entities in this example, but you'll get the idea.)

Jaylin Hochstetler

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:43 am

etc....
I've done it to quickly select the edges to convert entities in a 3d sketch. (I learned about creating a solid body to drive a 3d sketch in a class at SW World a few years ago that was taught by @Alin and one of his colleagues. See the attached file. I didn't convert all entities in this example, but you'll get the idea.)
Now that is cool! I never thought about doing it like that! Learn something new everyday.
mattpeneguy

Tahhhd wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:50 am
dpihlaja wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:34 am

If I recall correctly, this is what I used in the SLUGME video to quickly select all of the edges of the solid to create my weldment geometry.
(I like this method better than my old method of rt-click a face, select "invert selection", ctrl+click to select the original face.)
t
It's tricks like that you can have in your back pocket when taking the certification exams. You need as many of them as you can find, and practice problems showing you how to use them because it can save you massive amounts of time, if for example you need to select a bunch of faces.
Lapuo

Unread post by Lapuo »

I wont write stuff that is already written here but i use a lot of tips from this thread.
I would like to mention that i really like orienting my view as i want by clicking surface i want to see normal and selecting another surface which will be "up" from previously selected one.
Jaylin Hochstetler

matt wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:40 am Here are a couple that I like:
This one is amazing! I think I had heard of it before but forgot about it. Thanks @matt!
mike miller

I've got a few more here:

Assemblies and Parts:
  • Ctrl+drag to quickly copy components.
  • Ctrl+click components from File Explorer to add multiple components at once.
  • To select transparent parts/components, hold down Shift.
  • When using Offset Entities, there is an option for "bi-directional" and "cap ends" for those funky slots.
  • Ctrl+Shift+Z for previous view.
  • R for recent files.
  • Double-click a face when in a Boss-Extrude or Cut-Extrude command for a quick "Up-to-Surface" end condition.
  • Also, when in a Boss-Extrude or Cut-Extrude command, RMB in space to select end condition quickly.

Drawings:
  • Shift+F3 to toggle all caps.
  • Alt+drag to move drawing views without selecting the edge.
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:20 pm
This one is amazing! I think I had heard of it before but forgot about it. Thanks @matt!
To build on this, if you hold CTRL+SHIFT+TAB, it will show a ghost image of all the hidden parts and you can click them to unhide them. When you let go, it goes back to the standard view.

Also, to contribute, the feature tree can be fully expanded with * (on the numpad, not SHIFT+8) and then fully collapsed with SHIFT+C.

Edit: Had the hotkeys backwards
Jaylin Hochstetler

Couple more I thought of:

Use a profile center mate with 0" dim. instead of a concentric and a coincident. Saves a little bit of time and keeps things a little cleaner. I use a macro pinned to one of my mouse gestures for this. @mike miller posted the macro on the "My Macros" thread (we work for the same company).

Use the "Home" and "End" keys on your keyboard, home will jump to the beginning of a line of text and end will jump to the end of a line of text.
Jaylin Hochstetler

Also when editing mates click on the component, now instead of clicking on the mate that pops up in the breadcrumbs and then clicking on edit feature and changing the properties, RMB on the mate that pops up on the breadcrumbs and then you can change various things from that menu.
2021-03-18 15_59_05-.jpg
Roasted By John

Unread post by Roasted By John »

Wish I'd have the time to copy every page in the original forum tricks and tips, down the drain...
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Unread post by CarrieIves »

Especially on parts that have surfaces that are used to create things and are then no longer needed, I like to use delete body to get rid of the extra bodies that I don't need anymore. I try to use the command right after I no longer need that body. For example, I may create a surface to make some kind of split or surface cut. Right after I use it, I will use delete body so I don't have that body accidently getting shown or selected in the future.
matt

Unread post by matt »

CarrieIves wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:07 pm Especially on parts that have surfaces that are used to create things and are then no longer needed, I like to use delete body to get rid of the extra bodies that I don't need anymore. I try to use the command right after I no longer need that body. For example, I may create a surface to make some kind of split or surface cut. Right after I use it, I will use delete body so I don't have that body accidently getting shown or selected in the future.
Interesting. I always saw Delete Body as a do-nothing command that only removes the body from the tree. I guess there's nothing wrong with that. I rename bodies that I'm working with. and select stuff from the bodies folders. I usually save Delete Body until the very end. Translations send out extra bodies, and that can cause a lot of trouble.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

mike miller wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:46 pm Assemblies and Parts:
  • Ctrl+drag to quickly copy components.
  • Ctrl+click components from File Explorer to add multiple components at once.
I'll expand on this one.
CTRL+click multiple assembly components which are already mated together. Then, CTRL+drag to copy these components with mates. They keep their mates to each other, and maybe to primary reference planes (like parallel to Top Plane), but not any mates to other components. Then, you can mate this new pile into your big pile where you want it.
mike miller

Check this out: https://help.solidworks.com/2021/englis ... bba562#Pg0

Once you understand it, you're like WOW!!
matt

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:07 pm Check this out: https://help.solidworks.com/2021/englis ... bba562#Pg0

Once you understand it, you're like WOW!!
This was old autocad functionality. It took SW a long time to add it to the software.
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:20 pm
What, you mean SW went and did some different than the rest of the pc world and assigned tab and Shift tab to something other than cycling through "tabs", windows or applications on the taskbar?
CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Unread post by CarrieIves »

I was reminded today of "advanced delete".

I use this when SolidWorks wants to delete dependent features (especially some of which aren't truly dependent).
image.png
Glenn Schroeder

CarrieIves wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:21 am I was reminded today of "advanced delete".

I use this when SolidWorks wants to delete dependent features (especially some of which aren't truly dependent).

image.png
Hello @CarrieIves,

I can't believe that in 12 years I've never clicked on that button, though I have learned to pay attention to the options at the lower left corner. I'll try to remember to check it out.

Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:32 am
CarrieIves wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:21 am I was reminded today of "advanced delete".

image.png
Hello @CarrieIves,

I can't believe that in 12 years I've never clicked on that button, though I have learned to pay attention to the options at the lower left corner. I'll try to remember to check it out.
Ditto, with less years. I don't often work with rich features, but I'm sure that I'll come across an opportunity to try that one out. Neat! Thanks Carrie.