Events

Make suggestion to the moderators and admins of this site.
Tom G
Answers: 0

Events

Unread post by Tom G »

Although there have been no in-person events for the past year (b/c of COVID-19 dear future people), maybe someday those will reappear. In the meantime, virtual events are usually open to whomever registers for it (and wants added to a mailing list). It's both a drag and an opportunity.

Is it worthwhile to have a forum, subforum per software, or even Off Topic place like Sell/Buy, for CAD Events? Is it easier to just hope that people include "Event: _____" as their post topic? That never works for everyone, though I like it. It could already fit within your current topic branches, or have its own place.

I am certainly not looking to replicate any of the functions of SWUGN within the previous forum, as that is clearly theirs to maintain and for us to refer to. Naturally, anything in an Event Forum would be time sensitive and could even have a scheduled deletion like 30 days after the event, or not.

Maybe just a Calendar. We can add Towel Day, Tau Day, Pi Day and *clears throat loudly* World. I don't know what is easiest.
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Events

Unread post by matt »

@Tom G , phbb does have some capability around usergroups. Is SWUGN a thing any more? I ended my SWUGN activities about 10 years ago. I overextended myself and burned out on it. I'd be willing to help, but SWUGN is more of an official SW organization, and believe it or not, I'm sensitive to what some might see as over reach on my part.

But a calendar is a great idea. I'll see what can be done in that direction. Thanks for the suggestion!
Tom G
Answers: 0

Re: Events

Unread post by Tom G »

Aside - SWUGN is still a thing. Pandemic has changed meetings to virtual. My group MARISUG has been using Meetup, a 3rd party organizing site, to put out invites and RSVP's. We adapt. My concern is that SWUGN isn't depreciated with less attendance lately. I've been in passionless user groups for other software, and none of them are as engaging as most SWx presentations.

A calendar here would meet all potential needs. Thanks.