Solidworks surfacing tools enhancements

grhenning
Answers: 0

Solidworks surfacing tools enhancements

Unread post by grhenning »

I'm currently using SW 2017. Are the tools in any of the newer versions that are substantially better? Either new tools or better performance.
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Solidworks surfacing tools enhancements

Unread post by matt »

There were some spline improvements a few releases ago, not sure if it was before or after 2017. Nothing really earth shattering.
SPARK_Bill

Unread post by SPARK_Bill »

Specific to surfacing I haven't seen any big leap forward 2017-2021. Last game changing surfacing enhancements (years ago) were introduction of conic curve and boundary surface. Improved or not splines are root of all evil in surface modeling. I realize this is hyperbole. Splines do have their place in modelling figurines etc., but to be avoided in production work. Matt, no offence intended. Just opinion of an old CAD jockey set in his ways. -Bill
matt

Unread post by matt »

SPARK_Bill wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:46 am ... Splines do have their place in modelling figurines etc., but to be avoided in production work. Matt, no offence intended. Just opinion of an old CAD jockey set in his ways. -Bill
I totally understand your perspective, and why you think that. Splines have some nasty tricks in store. The whole need for the "relax spline" option is a really sore spot for me. With no dimensional or geometry changes, a spline can change shape on you. But then again, a series of tangent arcs is also wildly uncontrollable.
grhenning

Unread post by grhenning »

I've been using splines intensively for the last 6 months developing valve bodies from old prints and cutout templates. The templates reflect the shape of the valve body at defined sections. Kind of like how the template for developing the hull of a boat A lot of very organic shapes with these valves. What the company wants is to have accurate models reflecting the templates but with the ability to easily modify models if necessary. I haven't been able to find a great solution as I really don't think there is one.
matt

Unread post by matt »

grhenning wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:10 am I've been using splines intensively for the last 6 months developing valve bodies from old prints and cutout templates. The templates reflect the shape of the valve body at defined sections. Kind of like how the template for developing the hull of a boat A lot of very organic shapes with these valves. What the company wants is to have accurate models reflecting the templates but with the ability to easily modify models if necessary. I haven't been able to find a great solution as I really don't think there is one.
I'm not sure what you're looking for, but you could have a dimensioned line-and-arc sketch for dimensions/sizes, and then have a spline attached to that for shape. It wouldn't be a lights out sort of thing, it would take some hand holding to get the spline shape to behave nicely. Or a fit spline with a big tolerance.
Dwight
Answers: 2

Unread post by Dwight »

At least 80% of my spline issues went away when I started using Bezier type Style Splines. They can be specified in just the way that fits my design intent, and I find they can be both fully defined and edited reliably.

Dwight
HerrTick
Answers: 1

Unread post by HerrTick »

The biggest problem I see with organic surface definition is over-definition of splines, especially using too many defining points.

Use more C1 and C2 controls, and fewer defining points.

Also, not every fixed point needs to be a defining point. There's a load of flexibility in a spline. Often, adding coincident and/or tangent constraints to the parts of a spline that are between defining points yields a better result. It's amazing what a spline can do with only two or three defining points.
christian chu

Unread post by christian chu »

Dwight wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:45 am At least 80% of my spline issues went away when I started using Bezier type Style Splines. They can be specified in just the way that fits my design intent, and I find they can be both fully defined and edited reliably.

Dwight
Agreed ! Love the B-Spline: Degree 7 which I can create some super smooth model (getting close C3 - not sure how to say if its a c3 curvature)
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

christian chu wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:15 pm (getting close C3 - not sure how to say if its a c3 curvature)
C2 have equal curvature - the curves have the same curvature in the connection point.
C3 have equal curvature plus the rate of change of the curvature (of the role curve) is constant

(curvature is the amount by which a curve deviates from being a straight line)

Funny how it is difficult to find a proper math definition to this o[
christian chu

Lucas wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:58 pm C2 have equal curvature - the curves have the same curvature in the connection point.
C3 have equal curvature plus the rate of change of the curvature (of the role curve) is constant

(curvature is the amount by which a curve deviates from being a straight line)

Funny how it is difficult to find a proper math definition to this o[
Understand that C3 is more acceleration and don't think c3 curvature can be created with SW
Just tried to create a super smooth transition (closed to seamless) and "call " it a fake C3
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

christian chu wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:58 am Understand that C3 is more acceleration and don't think c3 curvature can be created with SW
Just tried to create a super smooth transition (closed to seamless) and "call " it a fake C3
Yeah, I have read someone explaining like this. But it doesn't make much sense to me, since curvature is adimensional.

SW 2020 introduced G3 Torsion Continuity to Sketches, so it is pretty easy to do it now. Before one would need to make a Fit Spline, with colinear, equal length, curvature continue relations, lots of steps... there are some videos from DiMonte Group YouTube channel if you are interested.
christian chu

Lucas wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:09 am Yeah, I have read someone explaining like this. But it doesn't make much sense to me, since curvature is adimensional.

SW 2020 introduced G3 Torsion Continuity to Sketches, so it is pretty easy to do it now. Before one would need to make a Fit Spline, with colinear, equal length, curvature continue relations, lots of steps... there are some videos from DiMonte Group YouTube channel if you are interested.
Thanks for the links. I'm in the process of fixing a model from other engineer
image.png