Tapper Thread

Maha Nadarasa
Answers: 1

Tapper Thread

Unread post by Maha Nadarasa »

Nut and Bolt is there to fasten the parts together. What is the purpose of having tapper thread? In my view, it will tend to get loose quickly in the course of time.
Attachments
1.png
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Re: Tapper Thread

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Plugs, pipes, etc. Can create gas tight connections without adding any seal, except some lubricant. (Have a look at NPT, NPTF, R, Rp, Rc.)
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Oil and gas, ground drilling attachment.
Easy disconnect in dirty environment is one benefit.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:29 am Nut and Bolt is there to fasten the parts together. What is the purpose of having tapper thread? In my view, it will tend to get loose quickly in the course of time.
Taper threads act as a both a nut and bolt as well as a sealing element all in one. With a taper you can put a male and female together and just keep tightening until it seals. Without an additional sealing element that is more difficult to do with straight threads because the relationship to OD and ID remain the same regardless of torque applied.

They are used largely in fluid fittings and essentially in standard size the designation is NPT which stands for National Pipe Thread.

They don't come loose anymore quickly than a straight thread. Once a straight thread comes loose the nut/Bolt Spins freely. Only difference is that depending on thread length of a straight thread a taper thread comes out with fewer rotations because the threads are clear completely after some number of turns regardless of length.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:29 am Nut and Bolt is there to fasten the parts together. What is the purpose of having tapper thread? In my view, it will tend to get loose quickly in the course of time.
There is also an interference fit which tends to help lock it in place. But as mentioned its for sealing against leaks of gas/oils, etc. We use the NPT type threads for large hydraulic jacks. Also have pipe plugs and bleeders valves. None of these have any sort of locking issues, they are just torqued down.
Jason
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

MJuric wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:03 am Taper threads act as a both a nut and bolt as well as a sealing element all in one. With a taper you can put a male and female together and just keep tightening until it seals. Without an additional sealing element that is more difficult to do with straight threads because the relationship to OD and ID remain the same regardless of torque applied.

They are used largely in fluid fittings and essentially in standard size the designation is NPT which stands for National Pipe Thread.

They don't come loose anymore quickly than a straight thread. Once a straight thread comes loose the nut/Bolt Spins freely. Only difference is that depending on thread length of a straight thread a taper thread comes out with fewer rotations because the threads are clear completely after some number of turns regardless of length.
Have you never heard of JIC?

https://www.daltonhydraulic.com/1-2-fem ... wivel-4638

https://www.mcmaster.com/50695K266/ (They also work for hoses and adapters, not just tubing.)

From finger tight to 5000 psi in less than half a turn! **
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

There's a reason god invented o-rings.
image.png
image.png (19.85 KiB) Viewed 866 times
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

And God damn we need to design proper o-ring grove.
IMG_20200529_130718.jpg
One time use.
Need to add torque spec to bolts.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

SPerman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:34 am There's a reason god invented o-rings.

image.png
Have you never had a numbskull who thought tighter is always better? o[ (note the past tense)

And yeah, I've seen split #4 JIC hose ends too..... ()
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I spent the majority of my adult life working in Nascar. I know all about "tighter is better."
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mike miller wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:22 am Have you never heard of JIC?

https://www.daltonhydraulic.com/1-2-fem ... wivel-4638

https://www.mcmaster.com/50695K266/ (They also work for hoses and adapters, not just tubing.)

From finger tight to 5000 psi in less than half a turn! **
Yeah, use them all the time...they don't seal on the threads, and thus "Another sealing element". Sealing straight threads with the threads only is a fools errand at best.
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

mike miller wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:43 am Have you never had a numbskull who thought tighter is always better? o[ (note the past tense)

And yeah, I've seen split #4 JIC hose ends too..... ()
I've seen split #6 JIC hose ends. Guy said, "Yea, I just kept tightening it and it suddenly split!". Well then you obviously made it too tight!

Attached are some JIC and pipe fittings I modeled.
Attachments
Fittings and Adapters.7z
(6.5 MiB) Downloaded 53 times
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.