Make Independent

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
SolidKeke
Answers: 0

Make Independent

Unread post by SolidKeke »

Hey,

Question for you who use Solidworks PDM. Are you able to get a new part number with "Make Independent"-action?

As a former Inventor user I find it very annoying that in Solidworks I have to make Save as a Copy, then Replace component. This "Make Independent"-action works similar to Inventor's "Save and Replace" ( = Saves a copy of component instance and replaces ONLY that component) but with Solidworks PDM it's completely useless because I'm not getting a new part number, it tries to save the part with the existing name...

Thanks for help in advance :)

Yours sincerely,
SolidKeke
Best Regards,
SolidKeke
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Make Independent

Unread post by matt »

I don't have PDM, but I think all of this is done outside of PDM unless you have some sort of an auto-part number generation thing.

When you use Make Independent, you can save the new part with whatever name you want to use, including a new part number. If that is being generated automatically, then I'm not sure how you hook that up. It might be a manual transfer of the part number, but how hard can it be (cut and paste). The Save As only puts the existing name in there as a default, because it can't read your mind, and what else would it put in there?