Best practices for SSDs and other portable storage devices.

For things you would put in a kitty dump.

Do you "remove USB safely"?

Yes
44%
No
11%
Depends on my mood.
44%

Total votes: 9
mike miller
Answers: 7

Best practices for SSDs and other portable storage devices.

Unread post by mike miller »

Do you always use the "Eject" command and does it actually do anything?

FB_IMG_1544823182284.jpg

What about regularly backing up and then formatting? I'm trying to avoid the "There's a problem with this drive" warning, and more importantly, losing data.

As a side note, I learned about formatting SD cards the hard way. Turns out writing to a card with both a camera and a Winduhs computer isn't a great idea..... :oops:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Re: Best practices for SSDs and other portable storage devices.

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Yes, always try to use the eject command pre to disconnecting mobile data storage. Takes some changes to settings in Windows to make it work.
Backing up data is done multiple times a week, takes a few (coffee)minutes with sync software, can save you from a lot of lost recourses and huge trouble.
Learned the hard way, that putting g-code files on memory stick and over to CNC machine, can corrupt g-code. Had this a few times with cheap, multi-user, memory sticks. Not funny at all.😢
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I guess I like to live dangerously. I never eject USB sticks, and I've learned to accept that Windows is ALWAYS going to tell me there is a problem with my USB drive. I can't say I've ever had any ill effects from doing this.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

The problem is, you never know if Windows, Antivirus, Backup or other program are still accessing the drive.
Also I don't plug it in until Windows finish boot.
USB thumb drive die fast. Don't rely on them as the only backup. Usually when they die, you can't write but still could read it.

Been using hardware encrypted spinning drive to sync between desktop and laptop for about a year.
Tried Bitlocker on USB driver and its so slow. Hardware encryption is much faster.
I wonder if its fast enough to use directly on laptop.

Been using FreeFileSync for years. Sync to driver and network. Sync compare and only copy modified files. Maintain 60GB backup without copying 60GB everyday.
Also have daily and monthly backup on second HDD in desktop.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Oh don't leave the USB plug in.
So ransom ware can't encrypt it.