Solid Edge gage tables for Sheet Metal

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
mike miller
Answers: 7

Solid Edge gage tables for Sheet Metal

Unread post by mike miller »

Watz up with the bend radius? Am I supposed to be able to select from a dropdown? It's grayed out, apparently because there is only one value in the spreadsheet cell and it seems it doesn't read from the range of columns with radius values....
2021-06-01 10_45_46.jpg
2021-06-01 10_45_14.jpg
How do I use multiple values and why are there radius columns as well as a radius cell?

@matt, @bnemec, @Ry-guy, @TusharSuradkar, @uk_dave

I will mention that SE's approach is more logical and consistent than SWX, which I am beginning to expect... :shock:
by mike miller » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:08 pm
Alright, after doing a bunch of research as well as reading the links posted here; I believe I've got it figured out.

If no gage table is selected; the fields for radius, thickness, and relief become available.
No gage table.jpg
Therefore, if a gage table is selected; those fields are no longer available because all the values are driven by the table. This is unlike SWX, which allows you to override the table from multiple different locations.
With gage table.jpg

The logic behind this approach is: using the same process and the same tooling for the same material will always yield the same radius. If a different lower tool or material is used, a different sheet should be added to the table for that specific application. This is the reason for having different sheets for each material and process. It all makes sense now, and the real beauty is the ease of switching out the tables. Also, because there is only one table with multiple sheets, management is much easier.

If you inadvertently change the radius value from the graphics area, click on the little "list" icon at the top of the graphics area and that opens the Bend Options box which allows you to relink it or change other values.
2021-06-18 13_11_37.jpg
Having multiple radius columns in the table seems to be risky. The only purpose I can see would be to control the K-factor if the radius is manually changed. Again, you really should just create another sheet or use the Bend Options box to manually override those values.
Go to full post
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
DaveG
Answers: 0

Re: Solid Edge gage tables for Sheet Metal

Unread post by DaveG »

I'm not familiar with bend tables, but I'm fairly sure enabling the bend table disables the dropdown option.

I found a post on the Solidworks forum years ago to give a good approximation for 90Degree sheet metal bends, use a k-factor of 0.273 & set the bend radius equal to the material thickness. I set up an equation in my SE sheet metal template setting bend radius equal to material thickness & neutral factor @ 0.273 & rarely have to think about these parameters now.
Ry-guy
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ry-guy »

YIkes...I remember that blasted table! But man you are testing the memory of an old man! OK 50 is the new 30 just grayer and less hair.
Anyway, I think Dave is correct.
Here's a link to documentation. This is a good starting point. There are also a ton of related options to the right side.
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com ... material6d

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com ... :xid999602

As I recall you can even setup your gage file for different presses that have different bend radii too! Just remember the more flexible a tool is the more management needs to occur!
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Alright, after doing a bunch of research as well as reading the links posted here; I believe I've got it figured out.

If no gage table is selected; the fields for radius, thickness, and relief become available.
No gage table.jpg
Therefore, if a gage table is selected; those fields are no longer available because all the values are driven by the table. This is unlike SWX, which allows you to override the table from multiple different locations.
With gage table.jpg

The logic behind this approach is: using the same process and the same tooling for the same material will always yield the same radius. If a different lower tool or material is used, a different sheet should be added to the table for that specific application. This is the reason for having different sheets for each material and process. It all makes sense now, and the real beauty is the ease of switching out the tables. Also, because there is only one table with multiple sheets, management is much easier.

If you inadvertently change the radius value from the graphics area, click on the little "list" icon at the top of the graphics area and that opens the Bend Options box which allows you to relink it or change other values.
2021-06-18 13_11_37.jpg
Having multiple radius columns in the table seems to be risky. The only purpose I can see would be to control the K-factor if the radius is manually changed. Again, you really should just create another sheet or use the Bend Options box to manually override those values.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39