PDM, How to filter the results in the Where Used tab in Vault View or Search Tool

Installation, PDM, standards, training, support, part numbering, rev schemes, etc.
bnemec
Answers: 10

PDM, How to filter the results in the Where Used tab in Vault View or Search Tool

Unread post by bnemec »

The where used functionality in PDM is very important to us but we are running into a couple areas of improvement. Sometimes the ability is there but I just look in the wrong place, so hopefully someone can point out to me how this can be done.

We would like to filter the results in the Where Used tab, the most popular example would be to exclude files in a specific workflow state, namely Obsolete. Equally important would be to filter out the parents where the latest version does not use the part, indicating that he part has been phased out of that assembly. As it is now the user can select "Show Latest Attached" or "Show All" a third option could be added so that only latest versions of the parents would be shown.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
bnemec

Re: PDM, How to filter the results in the Where Used tab in Vault View or Search Tool

Unread post by bnemec »

It seems there is no functionality to filter the where used by state or to not show files that are no longer using he target child file.

ER...
AlexB
Answers: 22

Re: PDM, How to filter the results in the Where Used tab in Vault View or Search Tool

Unread post by AlexB »

This seems like a good candidate for either a custom SQL query or an add-in to introduce the feature's your looking for. The only downside is that the result would really just be a data table (likely excel) making it much less visually interesting to the user.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexB wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:30 pm This seems like a good candidate for either a custom SQL query or an add-in to introduce the feature's your looking for. The only downside is that the result would really just be a data table (likely excel) making it much less visually interesting to the user.
Theoretically, this could be a custom tab in the Vault View. I have used some tree view nuget package in the past, ObjectListView I think is what it is called, it worked well enough. I find it strange the .net doesn't include a tree view that has columns. Anyway I just don't care to create my own Where Used tab to add functionality. I would have to pretty much add all the functionality that the WU tab already has as well, configs, versions, etc. Although if I did then we could have a where used of all versions by config, right now to get WU of a specific config the user must select a specific version. Could also make the expanding and collapsing a little more friendly.

Now that I think about it if we have to make our own tab I think I would put side by side where used and contains tree views where selecting a file in one updates the other, that is popular usage; find the contains of a parent or find the where used of a sibling part. That's how I set up our "fast where used" for our Solid Edge files before we had looked at PDM.

To customize or to adapt?