CATIA

Maha Nadarasa
Answers: 1

CATIA

Unread post by Maha Nadarasa »

Does anyone familiar with CATIA? I wish to know their comparison with SWX. I think this also Dassault System's product.
Ömür Tokman

Re: CATIA

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

Catia is a high level program of dassault, it is not correct to compare it with sw. It would be more accurate to compare Catia with nx. SW appeals to many sectors as an incoming. Catia mostly appeals to high-end sectors such as aviation, automobile, space. The price difference between the C and Sw is huge.
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
Maha Nadarasa

Ömür Tokman wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:50 pm Catia is a high level program of dassault, it is not correct to compare it with sw. It would be more accurate to compare Catia with nx. SW appeals to many sectors as an incoming. Catia mostly appeals to high-end sectors such as aviation, automobile, space. The price difference between the C and Sw is huge.
Thanks for the information.
Maha Nadarasa

@Ömür Tokman

Some people are try to sell their tutorial (Aviation, Automobile, Chopper etc.) done is SWX. I wish to know whether it will fit into real world scenario.

https://learnsolidworks.com/free-boeing ... dsolutions
A1.png
Attachments
2.png
HerrTick

Unread post by HerrTick »

CATIA is a completely different animal. No shared DNA.
Ömür Tokman

HerrTick wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:55 pm CATIA is a completely different animal. No shared DNA.
;; ;;
Ömür Tokman

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:00 pm @Ömür Tokman

Some people are try to sell their tutorial (Aviation, Automobile, Chopper etc.) done is SWX. I wish to know whether it will fit into real world scenario.

A1.png
It would be wrong to be precise. Catia is not a necessity for subcontractors, sub-industry products. So there is a lot of work in the automotive industry with Sw. Especially for those who do subcontracting for the sector and produce sub-industry products. A friend of mine works at Ford Automotive. They use Catia for bodywork, body subcontractors use Catia and Nx. (freedom of the surface) but there are those who use mechanical parts subcontractors Sw, SE, IN. Mainly for body parts. Catia is not a necessity for subcontractors. (expensive) Another friend of mine produces sub-industry products for the automotive industry (tie rod ends, pistons, piston rods, etc.). He uses Sw. Catia is expensive and has few users. Close your eyes and walk down a street, you will definitely bump into someone using the Sw.
HerrTick

Unread post by HerrTick »

I never worked on CATIA, but did work CATIA-adjacent when I had a job making automotive interior parts 2001 to 2005 . CATIA is truly in a phylum of its own.

There were some CATIA-to-SolidWorks translators available. None of them worked well enough to be worth the effort. The best solution was to have a service with native CATIA capability do the translation. The time saved was more than worth the money.

We discovered some interesting things about CATIA along the way. There were a lot of problems with hole axes being out-of-square with planar surfaces. Also many sheet metal models came in with opposing faces not-quite-parallel.

After much hair-pulling and teeth-gnashing, we found this was NOT a translation problem. It is a problem rooted in the CATIA kernel itself.

CAD programs have algorithms that determine whether entities are parallel/perpendicular/square ("squareness") with one another. e.g. sometimes an angle measures 90.000000°, but the program still makes a separate determination to declare those entities are branded "perpendicular".

CATIA played fast and loose with "squareness". Typically SW doesn't call something "square" unless it calculates to the max decimal (8 places). CATIA would "square" things that only matched 6 places.

The out-of-square condition was not a translation error. It resided within the CATIA model itself. Even models generated with sheet metal features.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:00 pm @Ömür Tokman

A1.png
That person has a few free tutorials. So try them.
Skill is skill.
How to apply them is on you.
Maha Nadarasa

@Frederick_Law

I prefer audiovisual tutorials. Problem is most of his tutorials are not in a audiovisual format.
Frederick_Law

In that case, it doesn't matter if its real world scenario or not.
I got his emails but haven't try his tutorials.

Old school here. Prefer flipping pages more then stop and rewind. I can read faster then they talk.
Most of those "instructional" videos are 30 mins of 5 mins information.
Maha Nadarasa

I have to pay through the nose to learn from him about SWX.
Frederick_Law

Maha Nadarasa wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:17 am I have to pay through the nose to learn from him about SWX.
"Have to"? You don't "have to" learn from him.
I don't know how much one can learn from his free one.