Any way to show one part of an subassembly in the BOM?

Marco
Answers: 2

Any way to show one part of an subassembly in the BOM?

Unread post by Marco »

Hi,

Somehow I am always fighting with the BOM in solidworks.
Maybe one of you has some great idea for me.
I am making a parts drawing for the manual.
I have an assembly with parts and subassemblies. the subassemblies are set to hide as these subassemblies are sold as a complete part. However there are a few parts of this subassemly which we do sell separately. So to indicate this I have an exploded view where I indicate the complete part and indicate the parts which can be ordered separately.
Is there any way to get the single part of the subassembly in the BOM. I have made a simple drawing to make it more clear. item 2 is the subassembly which is set to hide. and the o-ring is the part which i would like to have in the BOM as well.
image.png
The problem with making anything foolproof..........
is that fools are so darn ingenious :)
Frank_Oostendorp

Re: Any way to show one part of an subassembly in the BOM?

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

For this purpose, we create the BOM indented with detailed numbering, give each assembly, sub-assembly and part an extra property "availability", and show the column "availability" containing "can be ordered as set" , "can be ordered separately" and "not available separately". Keep it simple.
Marco

Unread post by Marco »

Hi Frank,
Might be an option, and how do you indicate which set to order to get the part you need?
Frank_Oostendorp

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Take the extended BOM to the manual, the customer can fill in the QTY.
image.png
You can let the customer rip out this page of the manual, you can provide it on your website to download, add QR code to the page in the manual, the possibilities are endless. But I like to keep it simple ;)
Attachments
image.png
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

You could insert an indented BOM with flat numbering and then hide the rows you don't want.
image.png
image.png
image.png
Jason
Marco

Unread post by Marco »

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:59 am Take the extended BOM to the manual, the customer can fill in the QTY.
You can let the customer rip out this page of the manual, you can provide it on your website to download, add QR code to the page in the manual, the possibilities are endless. But I like to keep it simple ;)
@

Hi Frank thanks for you explanation, I will check into your system and see if that will be something for us too.
And I am all in for keeping things simple UU
jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:16 am You could insert an indented BOM with flat numbering and then hide the rows you don't want.
Hi Jcapriotti, in that way I do not have a reference to the kit, so that woul not work for me.
Marco

Unread post by Marco »

For now I decided to go with a callout for the parts in the hidden subassemblys.
image.png
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Marco wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:54 am Hi Jcapriotti, in that way I do not have a reference to the kit, so that would not work for me.
I hid the kit in the BOM.....if I'm understanding you correctly.
Jason
Jim Steinmeyer
Answers: 0

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

@Frank_Oostendorp
Short of hiding lines in the BOM is there a method of selecting which subassemblies to expand while leaving the others flat?
@Marco
One additional step you may desire to take is to create an additional balloon for the o-ring. Change that balloon's properties to not have the balloon around it and to show the part number. Now create your note and when you get to the part number in the note pick the balloon and it will be placed in your note. Finally, after you are done with your note, select the balloon and hide it, do not delete it. Now your note is linked to that part in the BOM. Probably not important here where you are using the actual part number, but if you wanted something in the note that is linked to the position in the BOM it will update if the BOM changes.
sergio.monti
Answers: 1

Unread post by sergio.monti »

Hi Marco, an option could be you create a furter configuration of the subassembly, say 'config2' not set to 'hide' and suppress the parts not to be sold separately. Then, you insert a second instance of this subassembly in the main assembly in 'config2' state.