Solid Edge nifty features

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
mike miller
Answers: 7

Solid Edge nifty features

Unread post by mike miller »

I thought this would be a good "dumping spot" for all those amazing little features in SE. Feel free to add to it as you see fit. ;)

I just discovered the Solid Edge Blog, which has some really awesome content. Here are a few links from @TusharSuradkar:

Radial menu (mouse gestures):https://blogs.sw.siemens.com/solidedge/ ... dial-menu/ (16 commands times 28 environments :shock: )

Steering Wheel:https://blogs.sw.siemens.com/solidedge/ ... -modeling/

Ctrl and Shift keys: https://blogs.sw.siemens.com/solidedge/ ... ge-part-2/

Synchronous sheet metal conversion: https://blogs.sw.siemens.com/solidedge/ ... nchronous/

This last one is pretty funny actually. Notice the clever word plays.... :lol:
2021-06-17 16_17_18.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Solid Edge nifty features

Unread post by matt »

One that I like is that Solid Edge can loft from a circle to a line (like a chisel) and SW can't. Well, SW can do it, but it requires lofting from a half circle to a line, and then mirroring it.
mike miller

Oh, you know that guy with a subtle but sharp sense of humor? The guy you see around here a lot?

He's written a lot of really good articles too. https://blogs.sw.siemens.com/solidedge/ ... mit=Search
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

It's been a while but I remember something like being able to resize a drawing view real time instead of having to create a sketch and crop the view. I don't have SE to test it, but it seemed to work MUCH better. And yeah, SE's mouse gestures put SW to shame.
mike miller

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:49 am It's been a while but I remember something like being able to resize a drawing view real time instead of having to create a sketch and crop the view. I don't have SE to test it, but it seemed to work MUCH better. And yeah, SE's mouse gestures put SW to shame.
YUP! Pretty sweet.
SE Resize View.wmv
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 122 times
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

The SE Subtract feature is also extremely useful especially on the assemble level because you can subtract geometry from a component based on another components geometry.
SE Subtract (Jaylin).wmv
(5.61 MiB) Downloaded 118 times
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

mike miller wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:55 am YUP! Pretty sweet.

SE Resize View.wmv
That's how I remembered it, nice and easy!
matt

Unread post by matt »

Solid Edge has a number of ways to replace parts in the assembly. I find these options more straight forward than in the other program.
image.png
image.png (13.65 KiB) Viewed 6872 times
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:32 pm Solid Edge has a number of ways to replace parts in the assembly. I find these options more straight forward than in the other program.

image.png
We used (and miss) Revision/Design Manager for this type of thing. I don't know how Solidworks users that don't have PDM function without a similar tool. Unless there is one that I didn't find. There isn't much need for something like Design Manager when PDM is used, but it would be nice if just to view data from the file on disc, vs an amalgamation of database and file. I guess it would really just be for CAD Admin troubleshooting messed up files, so maybe not.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:24 am The SE Subtract feature is also extremely useful especially on the assemble level because you can subtract geometry from a component based on another components geometry.
SE Subtract (Jaylin).wmv
That is nice. You can do it in Solidworks too, but you have to edit the Part inside the Assembly (which isn't difficult).
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Imics13
Answers: 0

Unread post by Imics13 »

Guys,

There are some:

1. Handling mesh model:

2. Assembly relationship assistant:

BR,
Imics - SolidEdgeST.wordpress.com
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Does SE have a real coordinate system? In NX that was 3 planes, 3 axis and an origin, all in one easily translatable/rotatable feature.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
matt

Unread post by matt »

SPerman wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:21 am Does SE have a real coordinate system? In NX that was 3 planes, 3 axis and an origin, all in one easily translatable/rotatable feature.
SE's origin and base planes work like SW's. You can add additional coordinate systems, but 0,0,0 is always 0,0,0.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

matt wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:57 am SE's origin and base planes work like SW's. You can add additional coordinate systems, but 0,0,0 is always 0,0,0.
Let's revisit this in October. :twisted:
Jason
Imics13

Unread post by Imics13 »

Guys,

I always use "MICE" shortcuts to find an element's (line, arc) midpoint, intersection point, centerpoint, endpoint at drawing, dimensioning and relating.

BR,
BR,
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

I've brought this up before in that I cannot believe Solidworks cannot do this basic sheet metal functionality. Dimple, Drawn Cutout and Bead, especially the first and last are sorely missed in Solidworks.

https://blogs.sw.siemens.com/solidedge/ ... -and-bead/

I don't know when they added this, the blog is from 2013 but I'm pretty sure the features are older than that. Solidworks has no apparent interest in adding this functionality.
image.png
image.png (25.99 KiB) Viewed 6688 times
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Imics13 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:14 pm Guys,

I always use "MICE" shortcuts to find an element's (line, arc) midpoint, intersection point, centerpoint, endpoint at drawing, dimensioning and relating.

BR,
Can you expand on this please?
matt

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:06 am Can you expand on this please?
It just means that you can type M, I, C or E on the keyboard while sketching to get the cursor to snap to a midpoint, intersection point, center point or end point. It's one of the first basic things you learn about SE sketching. You can also just move the cursor so it automatically picks up these snap points, but if the screen is busy, the keyboard give you an option.
Imics13

Unread post by Imics13 »

matt wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:30 am It just means that you can type M, I, C or E on the keyboard while sketching to get the cursor to snap to a midpoint, intersection point, center point or end point. It's one of the first basic things you learn about SE sketching. You can also just move the cursor so it automatically picks up these snap points, but if the screen is busy, the keyboard give you an option.
Thx Matt, perfect!
BR,
matt

Unread post by matt »

Imics13 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:36 am Thx Matt, perfect!
I've learned a couple things from you! Glad to see you here!
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:30 am It just means that you can type M, I, C or E on the keyboard while sketching to get the cursor to snap to a midpoint, intersection point, center point or end point. It's one of the first basic things you learn about SE sketching. You can also just move the cursor so it automatically picks up these snap points, but if the screen is busy, the keyboard give you an option.
Huh! never knew that. :oops: I used the snap-to options. I guess they branded it "IntelliSketch" Although, with the left hand on 3D Space Mouse I don't use much keyboard stuff, guess I need the third hand afterall.
image.png
mike miller

I just learned about Styles. Pretty cool.
2021-07-12 10_22_23.jpg
It doesn't seem very earth shattering until you realize that Styles can be copied between documents. ><
2021-07-12 10_24_09.jpg
That is just...........awesome!
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Just noticed this a little while ago. Apparently Solidworks users do not crop drawing views much. In SE, just drag the drawing view boarder. In SW, the only way we figgured out is to draw a sketch then insert drawing view->crop. But editing the sketch is ridiculous, there's no sketch relations placed so dragging the box can tear it apart. Just very clunky if you ask me.
jcapriotti

mike miller wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:26 am I just learned about Styles. Pretty cool.

2021-07-12 10_22_23.jpg

It doesn't seem very earth shattering until you realize that Styles can be copied between documents. ><

2021-07-12 10_24_09.jpg

That is just...........awesome!
Isn't that was the Drafting Standard load option is for? It's not a drawing to drawing copy but in our environment I would want to apply settings from a central master style rather than another drawing whose style maybe out of date.
image.png
Jason
mike miller

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:50 am Isn't that was the Drafting Standard load option is for? It's not a drawing to drawing copy but in our environment I would want to apply settings from a central master style rather than another drawing whose style maybe out of date.

image.png
SE stores it with the Draft (drawing) template. BTW, it also stores the sheet format with the template instead of forcing you to save it out each time and not bothering to even remind you. o[
jcapriotti

mike miller wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:00 pm SE stores it with the Draft (drawing) template. BTW, it also stores the sheet format with the template instead of forcing you to save it out each time and not bothering to even remind you. o[
Not following fully. SolidWorks saves the drafting standards to an external file for loading and it's stored inside your templates as well. You load it as needed although it would be nice for the system to notice that it's changed and prompt to update the currently open drawing.
Jason
Glenn Schroeder

bnemec wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:11 am Just noticed this a little while ago. Apparently Solidworks users do not crop drawing views much. In SE, just drag the drawing view boarder. In SW, the only way we figgured out is to draw a sketch then insert drawing view->crop. But editing the sketch is ridiculous, there's no sketch relations placed so dragging the box can tear it apart. Just very clunky if you ask me.
I frequently crop views in SW, and it works pretty smooth. I insert the drawing view, then sketch the lines to define the border, then Crop the view. I typically use the corner rectangle sketch tool. That way as soon as I've sketched the rectangle (before clicking anywhere else) I can go straight to the Crop view command, while the sketch is still selected, so I don't have to go back and select all four lines.

One thing that commonly causes problems with Crop View for new users is placing the sketch lines that don't belong to the drawing view. If that happens then Crop will be grayed out when you try to select it. Before starting the sketch either double-click on the drawing view to keep it active, or make sure you start the sketch inside the drawing view border.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Glenn Schroeder

mike miller wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:00 pm SE stores it with the Draft (drawing) template. BTW, it also stores the sheet format with the template instead of forcing you to save it out each time and not bothering to even remind you. o[
I don't understand. Solidworks saves the sheet format inside the drawing template.

mike miller

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:42 pm I don't understand. Solidworks saves the sheet format inside the drawing template.
Right, but not for already created drawings. You have to remember to save it out before you just reload the sheet format...

It's not a huge deal, but it's just nice to control everything from a single file type.
jcapriotti

mike miller wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:52 pm Right, but not for already created drawings. You have to remember to save it out before you just reload the sheet format...

It's not a huge deal, but it's just nice to control everything from a single file type.
Sheet format template is different than a file template. Are you saying they shouldn't be?

We don't store the sheet format at all in our drawing templates. When we created a new drawing, SolidWorks knows there isn't a sheet format and prompts for it. So no need to maintain drawing templates for different sizes.
Jason
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:11 am Just noticed this a little while ago. Apparently Solidworks users do not crop drawing views much. In SE, just drag the drawing view boarder. In SW, the only way we figgured out is to draw a sketch then insert drawing view->crop. But editing the sketch is ridiculous, there's no sketch relations placed so dragging the box can tear it apart. Just very clunky if you ask me.
We use crop views all over our drawings. You just sketch what ever shape you want then hit the crop button. You can add dimensions and sketch relations to hold it in place if you want.

The drag view border in SE is nice but I'm still o[ trying to figure out how to make a non-rectangular crop. I'm in the edit view border but I'm missing some step.
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:12 pm We use crop views all over our drawings. You just sketch what ever shape you want then hit the crop button. You can add dimensions and sketch relations to hold it in place if you want.

The drag view border in SE is nice but I'm still o[ trying to figure out how to make a non-rectangular crop. I'm in the edit view border but I'm missing some step.
I guess we never had the need for a non-rectangular crop. I guess it you need that then the extra hassle of drawing a crop sketch is worth while. Also, I get that adding the sketch to crop a view isn't a big deal, editing it is like a hand of thumbs IMO
mike miller

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:12 pm We use crop views all over our drawings. You just sketch what ever shape you want then hit the crop button. You can add dimensions and sketch relations to hold it in place if you want.

The icon you're looking for looks like a pencil on a square of paper. Click on it and you can then delete line elements and replace them with splines (or whatever). After you return, it is now no longer a "quick edit" crop; so you have to edit the boundary with the same method.

I will also say that I have only ever used a non-rectangular crop view about twice.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:06 pm ...
We don't store the sheet format at all in our drawing templates. When we created a new drawing, SolidWorks knows there isn't a sheet format and prompts for it. So no need to maintain drawing templates for different sizes.
How do you make that happen?
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

mike miller wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:54 am The icon you're looking for looks like a pencil on a square of paper. Click on it and you can then delete line elements and replace them with splines (or whatever). After you return, it is now no longer a "quick edit" crop; so you have to edit the boundary with the same method.

I will also say that I have only ever used a non-rectangular crop view about twice.
That looks like a sentence I would write. So you're saying you use rectangular crop most of the time, some other shape maybe twice? I'm not just trying to pick, I'm interested into why use other shape for cropping a view. Most the time we prefer a detail view, but there are times when a cropped view just works better.
Glenn Schroeder

dpihlaja wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:06 am How do you make that happen?
Dan,

To have SW ask for a sheet format when starting a new drawing:

1. Open a new drawing with an existing template.

2. Expand the tree to show "Sheet Format".

3. Right-click on it and select "Delete" from the drop-down. The sheet will be blank.

4. Save as . . . drawing template (either overriding the existing file or give it a different name to save it as a new template).

image.png

jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:12 am That looks like a sentence I would write. So you're saying you use rectangular crop most of the time, some other shape maybe twice? I'm not just trying to pick, I'm interested into why use other shape for cropping a view. Most the time we prefer a detail view, but there are times when a cropped view just works better.
Probably just more of a preference, makes it more obvious that its a cropped view and looks better IMO but you could do this with a rectangular crop as well.
image.png
This is a spline based crop that was done to save vertical space which is why a circle wasn't used. Sometimes we don't have parent views for these kind of details as it's redundant. Often because our products are configurable and we may show several details like this for multiple configurations.
image.png
Jason
Imics13

Unread post by Imics13 »

Guys,

We like 3DFind.it integration where user is able to download and put model in assy. Easy to use...

BR,
BR,
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:33 am Dan,

To have SW ask for a sheet format when starting a new drawing:

1. Open a new drawing with an existing template.

2. Expand the tree to show "Sheet Format".

3. Right-click on it and select "Delete" from the drop-down. The sheet will be blank.

4. Save as . . . drawing template (either overriding the existing file or give it a different name to save it as a new template).

image.png
OK, I get it. However, it some with problems (in SW 2018 anyway): The revision table will not jump to the new anchor point when I pick a different size. The only way that I can get it to jump to the updated anchor point is to select the revision table, and check and then uncheck the "Attach to anchor point" check box. Either that, or set a new anchor point.....twice. Once to change the position, a 2nd time to jump it back to the correct position.

I am guessing that those people who are NOT running into this problem either, it is fixed in a newer version of Solidworks, or they don't use the revision table.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
jcapriotti

dpihlaja wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:05 am OK, I get it. However, it some with problems (in SW 2018 anyway): The revision table will not jump to the new anchor point when I pick a different size. The only way that I can get it to jump to the updated anchor point is to select the revision table, and check and then uncheck the "Attach to anchor point" check box. Either that, or set a new anchor point.....twice. Once to change the position, a 2nd time to jump it back to the correct position.

I am guessing that those people who are NOT running into this problem either, it is fixed in a newer version of Solidworks, or they don't use the revision table.
We don't use revision tables so I couldn't say, although we do use BOM anchor points and they work fine. I'm guessing you defined your anchor points in each sheet size prior to saving the sheet format?

I tried it in 2021 and it worked as expected. When I change from A to B size sheet the revision table moves and stays anchored to the upper right corner.
RevTable.gif
Jason
Imics13

Unread post by Imics13 »

Hi Guys,

I think Steering Wheel is a very useful thing in #SolidEdge. You can Move, Rotate and/or Copy parts in assy. When you copy a part, you can use its old relationships to add to new positions.
Or Solid Edge will add new relationships to parts at moving...

Here is a short video:

BR,
BR,
mike miller

So this morning I was working on another migrated project that had originated in SWX and was now in SE. I had a "dumb solid" I was working with, essentially, as there were no dimensions, relationships, or anything. It was not an easy part either, as it was basically a scalloped cutting edge (see screenshot).

Okay, I thought, I'll built some real intelligence into this model! I started out cheerfully by deleting all the cutouts but one and creating a linear pattern in Synch with cuts at the ends in Ordered. To make a long story short, by the time I was done and had found something worked well, I was EXACTLY in the same place I started. The most robust model to handle change in this case was full Synch, without any pattern or Ordered features whatsoever (e.g., a dumb solid but with smart software)!

This was a real eye-opener for me, because it demonstrated that a dumb solid with only essential 3D face dimensions (PMI) is actually the best approach in many cases.

=)
2021-07-21 12_25_48.jpg
DaveG

Unread post by DaveG »

mike miller wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:31 pm So this morning I was working on another migrated project that had originated in SWX and was now in SE. I had a "dumb solid" I was working with, essentially, as there were no dimensions, relationships, or anything. It was not an easy part either, as it was basically a scalloped cutting edge (see screenshot).

Okay, I thought, I'll built some real intelligence into this model! I started out cheerfully by deleting all the cutouts but one and creating a linear pattern in Synch with cuts at the ends in Ordered. To make a long story short, by the time I was done and had found something worked well, I was EXACTLY in the same place I started. The most robust model to handle change in this case was full Synch, without any pattern or Ordered features whatsoever (e.g., a dumb solid but with smart software)!

This was a real eye-opener for me, because it demonstrated that a dumb solid with only essential 3D face dimensions (PMI) is actually the best approach in many cases.

=)

2021-07-21 12_25_48.jpg
Yes, I often convert to sync if I regret what path I've taken in the ordered environment or the model isn't stable, then all sins are forgiven! If there is something preventing it being converted to sync, I'll export to parasolid & import back in, giving it a new part number.

Also, you can use pattern recognition in sync on imported models
mike miller

Fun stuff! https://solidedge.siemens.com/en/resour ... d-video-1/

I can't wait until October 6 (2022 launch). ><
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

mike miller wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:31 am Fun stuff! https://solidedge.siemens.com/en/resour ... d-video-1/

Nice additions!
The shared SubD and Mesh/Brep is very much appreciated.
And, I like how the NX link works.
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
smh.inov8

Unread post by smh.inov8 »

mike miller wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:31 am Fun stuff! https://solidedge.siemens.com/en/resour ... d-video-1/

Somebody must have jumped the gun posting this, as the video is now gone. I had seen a part 2 video after I watched the first one that I saved to watch later, and when I came back the next day the link was broken. Still, looks like some great new features!
mike miller

Just got done fixing a STEP file from a vendor. It came in as 220+ surface bodies because there were open faces and offsets everywhere. o[

Synchronous surfacing has acute drawbacks (you can't really edit a loft, for example) but it has some really awesome capabilities too, such as moving and copying surfaces and knitting without leaving "tracks".. Also, remember that you can use Synch to do certain things to a model and then use Ordered for the rest. It's not a Synch/Ordered dichotomy where you have to use one to the exclusion of the other.

Here's an example of copying surfaces:
SE surface magic.mp4
(14.49 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
Jaylin Hochstetler

Here is a video showing the different steering wheel commands (Extend/Trim, Lift, and Tip). Understanding how these work is very valuable when working in Sync.

Here is a help topic on it that does a good job of explaining the differences.
https://docs.sw.siemens.com/en-US/produ ... verotate1d
Attachments
SE Steering Wheel.wmv
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

I really miss this simple little tool, from its element selection behavior to how it presents the data. I've found similar things in SW but just not used to them yet.
image.png
Jaylin Hochstetler

bnemec wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:33 am I really miss this simple little tool, from its element selection behavior to how it presents the data. I've found similar things in SW but just not used to them yet.

image.png
Nice. Never knew that existed. Learn something new every day!