Parent/Child Feature Relationships

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
charlesculp
Answers: 0

Parent/Child Feature Relationships

Unread post by charlesculp »

No, I'm not asking about fixing your broken relationship with your father figure, sorry about that.

https://help.solidworks.com/2021/Englis ... nships.htm

These arrows that show the relationship between parent/children are great. But they only appear to be turned on temporarily. Is there a way to keep them always on? Was that disabled for a specific reason? I feel like I have just forgotten the details.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Parent/Child Feature Relationships

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

They could be on all the time.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

They are enabled or disabled with these options when you RMB on the top of the FeatureManager.
image.png
But they only show up when an item in the tree is selected. They disappear when it is deselected. Is that what you're talking about?
charlesculp

matt wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:28 pm But they only show up when an item in the tree is selected. They disappear when it is deselected. Is that what you're talking about?
It seems that when I restart Solidworks, I have re-enable this feature. I would prefer for it to "always be on".
matt

Unread post by matt »

charlesculp wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:51 am It seems that when I restart Solidworks, I have re-enable this feature. I would prefer for it to "always be on".
As a document setting or a system setting?

Mine seems to remember it on a single document from day to day. Maybe you could set your templates to do that.

Edit: yeah, you can save your templates with the setting.
charlesculp

It seems to be sporadic, but after flipping it back on forth on a few users, now it works consistently. Once set on any part, it will stay that way for all parts in the future, similar to a system setting. Strange UI.
matt

Unread post by matt »

charlesculp wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:19 pm It seems to be sporadic, but after flipping it back on forth on a few users, now it works consistently. Once set on any part, it will stay that way for all parts in the future, similar to a system setting. Strange UI.
Hmmm. It should work like a document property, not a system property. And definitely not like a property with a mind of its own. grumph
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

matt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:52 pm Hmmm. It should work like a document property, not a system property. And definitely not like a property with a mind of its own. grumph
Hear, hear. I'm glad it's a system property. I don't want to be turning it on all the time....

I still think we need a GodMode for Solidworks with omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent control. Ya know, something like this:
FB_IMG_1546198719050.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39