Where is Solidworks going?

IndianaDave
Answers: 0

Where is Solidworks going?

Unread post by IndianaDave »

I keep seeing Dassault Systems pushing Draftsight as a 2D, and now more often as a 3D design package...
It seems DS is pushing all of the 3dEcperience stuff, and the collaboration stuff, but isn't really putting much focus on the basic Solidworks program.
Anyone have any inside info, or predictions on where Solidworks will be in 5 years? 10 years?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Where is Solidworks going?

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I believe Dassault is working toward moving away from the desktop version of SW, and toward something where the software and files will be 100% online. What that something will be is anyone's guess.

Unless something fundamentally changes then when that happens I expect a mass exodus to another software.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

It's heading straight for the dump if it doesn't change course, that's for sure.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

IndianaDave wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:55 am I keep seeing Dassault Systems pushing Draftsight as a 2D, and now more often as a 3D design package...
It seems DS is pushing all of the 3dEcperience stuff, and the collaboration stuff, but isn't really putting much focus on the basic Solidworks program.
Anyone have any inside info, or predictions on where Solidworks will be in 5 years? 10 years?
My guess
SW Desktop>Solidworks 3DE with Parasolid kernel>Solidworks 3DE with CATIA Kernel>Solidworks replaced by other modeling package with CATIA kernel.

My completely uneducated guess is that the we'll see the last release of SW desktop in 10-15 years.

The Choice to move to Solidworks 3DE is the choice to move to whatever new CAD system DS comes out with as it's replacement. I'd say we see the release of that in 5-10 years or so.

The above is based entirely on my experience with Adesk, MDT and Inventor that followed a similar trajectory without the "Middle man" step of 3DE. The difference here is that DS is trying to get you to pay for the new software and ADesk did not, they converted your MDT to IV and essentially started shipping IV with MDT at no charge. Here you'll pay to go to 3DE from SW Desktop and then you'll probably pay a bit more to get to the new system.

Wild guesses and conspiracy theory on my part.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:20 am It's heading straight for the dump if it doesn't change course, that's for sure.
I've said it before, I whole heartedly believe that that is the plan. The decsion has been made to phase out SW. As I posted it will be done in steps, the first of which is 3DE.

I was on the phone with my VAR the other day and she slipped 3DE a couple times "Selling it" even though the subject at hand was completely devoid of anything related. I'd bet there's a HUGE push at the VAR level to get people to migrate. The more, the sooner, the quicker they can nuke SW desktop.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Straight to the bottom of the SwYmP.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

MJuric wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:24 am My guess
SW Desktop>Solidworks 3DE with Parasolid kernel>Solidworks 3DE with CATIA Kernel>Solidworks replaced by other modeling package with CATIA kernel.

My completely uneducated guess is that the we'll see the last release of SW desktop in 10-15 years.

The Choice to move to Solidworks 3DE is the choice to move to whatever new CAD system DS comes out with as it's replacement. I'd say we see the release of that in 5-10 years or so.

The above is based entirely on my experience with Adesk, MDT and Inventor that followed a similar trajectory without the "Middle man" step of 3DE. The difference here is that DS is trying to get you to pay for the new software and ADesk did not, they converted your MDT to IV and essentially started shipping IV with MDT at no charge. Here you'll pay to go to 3DE from SW Desktop and then you'll probably pay a bit more to get to the new system.

I really hope your time estimates are <= reality. The cost of just migrating our data set from SE to SW has a ~20 year? ROI if any. Having to do another model migration in say 5 years would... well, I wouldn't be here to worry about it I guess.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Ferris Bueller: Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

bnemec wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:46 am I really hope your time estimates are <= reality. The cost of just migrating our data set from SE to SW has a ~20 year? ROI if any. Having to do another model migration in say 5 years would... well, I wouldn't be here to worry about it I guess.
Like I said just basing it on what ADesk did with MDT and IV. First release of IV was 1999, Last release of MDT was 2009 and all support for MDT stopped in 2012.

I think SW lifespan depends on the release of what is to replace it and I don't think 3DE counts, so they've not release SW Desktops replacement yet so maybe the timeframe is longer.

However the existence of 3DE may actually shorten the span as well because I suspect 3DE is the "Bridge" to the replacement.

All pretty much a guessing game and maybe SW Desktop is around for several more decades, who knows. I just see to many similarities to the MDT/IV scenario to not think the ending scenario's will be similar.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

MJuric wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:24 am My guess

I'd say you error on the side of optimism. After watching the debacle of the last year (3DSwymP), I can't see SWX Desktop surviving ten more years. I trust DSS leadership slightly less than politicians, which is to say.....less than zero.

Contrast this to Siemens: According to Dan Staples, Solid Edge will not force users to the cloud. Ever. He expressed concern about the state of the industry with many SE competitors forcing users to adopt the cloud. He then pointed out that even though Solid Edge introduced Synch Tech ~10 years ago, they haven't taken ANY functionality away from the Ordered environment. In other words, even if change and new development eclipses current technology, they will not divorce their users from "archaic" systems.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mike miller wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:06 pm I'd say you error on the side of optimism.
I agree I just didn't want to sound like a Chicken Little.

It's a self full filling cycle. DS wants to get rid of Solidworks entirely. The take a step toward that end and the user base is unpleased which only serves to prove DS's belief of "We need to do something else".

The only reason I'm not certain the time frame will be shorter is because I'm not sure that 3DE is the actual replacement. It could very well be SW Desktop>3DE Parasolid>3DE CATIA. If that is the case then 3DE has been out for a while and SW Desktop is already in it's Swan's Song.

Solidworks Desktop Forum - Gone and or thrown in with 3DE
VAR's - Pushing 3DE pretty hard
DS - Refusal to do any serious code rewrite to fix persistent flaws and pouring resources into SW 3DE and accompanying suite.

All points to bye-Bye SW Desktop
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

MJuric wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:23 pm I agree I just didn't want to sound like a Chicken Little.

It's a self full filling cycle. DS wants to get rid of Solidworks entirely. The take a step toward that end and the user base is unpleased which only serves to prove DS's belief of "We need to do something else".

The only reason I'm not certain the time frame will be shorter is because I'm not sure that 3DE is the actual replacement. It could very well be SW Desktop>3DE Parasolid>3DE CATIA. If that is the case then 3DE has been out for a while and SW Desktop is already in it's Swan's Song.

Solidworks Desktop Forum - Gone and or thrown in with 3DE
VAR's - Pushing 3DE pretty hard
DS - Refusal to do any serious code rewrite to fix persistent flaws and pouring resources into SW 3DE and accompanying suite.

All points to bye-Bye SW Desktop
Just checking: 3DE does not use SW Desktop files? So a company cannot just upload their files to the platform and use them in 3DE like they did in SW Desktop, right?
AlexLachance

bnemec wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:51 pm Just checking: 3DE does not use SW Desktop files? So a company cannot just upload their files to the platform and use them in 3DE like they did in SW Desktop, right?
They use different Kernels, so I think the answer is no, but I'm not entirely sure.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:56 pm They use different Kernels, so I think the answer is no, but I'm not entirely sure.
Well who the @#$% does? VARs aren't sure either!

DSS to all the kids on the playground: Hey! come check out this new play set I made.
Everyone else on playground: Ok, what's it do?
DSS: EVERYTHING! better with more innovative colloberating disruption!
Everyone else: Ok, but what does it do?
DSS: It will seamlessly do anything you need it to do!
Everyone else: Ok, but how does it work?
DSS: Perfectly!
Everyone else: What is it again?
DSS: knocks down other playsets
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:56 pm They use different Kernels, so I think the answer is no, but I'm not entirely sure.
DSS says "Yes", but since they always lie I'd put my money on "No". :lol:

They can't manage to keep their own templates from corrupting, how can they migrate files between two programs with the worst translation in the industry (SWX <> CATIA)? This isn't even any kind of secret knowledge either. CATIA and SWX are awful together.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Frederick_Law

LOL Inventor do a better CATIA translate then SW.
Much better.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

bnemec wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:51 pm Just checking: 3DE does not use SW Desktop files? So a company cannot just upload their files to the platform and use them in 3DE like they did in SW Desktop, right?
I had this discussion on the Swymp and of course I can't for the life of me find the post....however.

I went back and forth on this issue with a couple DS employees and I believe the following to be correct.

1) The only difference between Solidworks 3DE and Solidworks Desktop is that it is integrated with the 3DS platform. IE all the "Collaborative stuff" that you see on the forum is actually part of the software so you can set up communities in your company for projects, etc.

2) Again, My understanding. At present SW 3DE is running on the parasolid kernel just like SW desktop is. What isn't running on the Parasolid kernel is pretty much all the other programs that you get in the 3DE suite of programs, IE X-Design etc or whatever they are calling the new stuff.

3) Despite being the "Same program", and again my understanding that you can directly open SW desktop files, there's a whole lot that works on Desktop that does not work on 3DE. Last I checked NO 3rd party programs were supported, Driveworks, CAMWorks etc.
image.png
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

I think people are confusing 3dx SolidWorks with Xdesign

3dx SolidWorks - The desktop SolidWorks we all know and love plus a connector to 3dx (PLM) to store files and colloberate.
Xdesign - Cloud only 3d CAD

The connector in 3Dx SolidWorks allows it to connect to 3dx site and read xDesign data but its just a dumb solid. There is no feature transfer.
Jason
Frederick_Law

There is a Cloud only SW. Don't ask me what they call it.
You can see some of the post in Solidworks Connect Community.

2022 beta has cloud version. Don't know if its The cloud version or SW on cloud VM.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:54 pm There is a Cloud only SW. Don't ask me what they call it.

2022 beta has cloud version. Don't know if its The cloud version or SW on cloud VM.
Solidworks has done an absolute fail with their names here. From what I understand, which I'm far from believing is correct, is that there are only two options SW "Cloud" version and SW "Desktop" version.

I could have sworn that "Solidworks Connected" was SW Desktop with a plug in to access the Swym platform. However I'm not at all sure that is correct and as far as I have seen "Solidworks connected" could be a completely different platform or the same thing as Solidworks 3DExperience.

In short, after probably almost two years of reading articles, posting etc I'm still not at all sure what all these names mean or how they work together.

I do know SW desktop is what I'm using. I'm pretty sure SW 3DExperience is the whole suite of products that includes and is cloud based hooked up toe the SwYm platform....not at all sure what 3D Connect is.

I mean really look at this https://www.solidworks.com/lp/3dexperie ... rks-offers

"3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS offers" (All caps mandatory) includes "3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS". Isn't this like saying "We are selling a screwdriver that is a screwdriver"..."so you're selling a screwdriver?", "No sir we are selling a screwdriver....that has a screwdriver"...."What!?, well what is the screwdriver", "It's the thing that is inside the screwdriver....and the thing that is the screwdriver itself. You shouldn't worry about it, It's on the cloud, has synergy, is innovative and allows collaboration...that's all you really need to know about the screwdriver...either the screwdriver or the one that is in the screwdriver"
Frederick_Law

All you need to know is: you are SolidScrewed
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Ah yes...
Software company and their bad sense of naming, tell me more about it
image.png
Similar to SOLIDWORKS but not a replacement of SOLIDWORKWS

Then why do you put SOLIDWORKS in the naming eh?

To me it seem more and more like DS are trying to sell their product by tagging everything with SOLIDWORKS.
We have a new 3D modelling software on cloud!
Lets call it SOLIDWORKS even though it is not related to SOLIDWORKS at all!
Customer will go crazy for it!
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
JSculley
Answers: 53

Unread post by JSculley »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:54 pm There is a Cloud only SW. Don't ask me what they call it.

It's regular SW running in an Amazon App Stream
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

JSculley wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:47 am It's regular SW running in an Amazon App Stream
Are you serious or was that sarcasm?
Frederick_Law

bnemec wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:26 am Are you serious or was that sarcasm?
I believe serious.
Problem is it just keep loading and I can't get load it yet.
Could be work firewall blocking something.
Would be nice to test if 3D mouse work and my 15 button mouse.
SWBeta-01.jpg
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:46 am I believe serious.
Problem is it just keep loading and I can't get load it yet.
Could be work firewall blocking something.
Would be nice to test if 3D mouse work and my 15 button mouse.
SWBeta-01.jpg
Did you clear your bookmarks and delete cache? maybe you're using the wrong browser, you'll need to change your default browser to use it. You'll need to install a certified version of a certified browser.
;;
Frederick_Law

Yeap, should have listen to my own advice.
Stop using SW.
JSculley
Answers: 53

Unread post by JSculley »

I was referring only to the SW2022 Beta. You can download the app like normal, or you can test drive it online in a browser window (Amazon App Stream). I ran the online app mainly to get access to the What's New guide to see if anything big has been added. Spoiler Alert: not really.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:10 am Yeap, should have listen to my own advice.
Stop using SW.
Alternatives aren't all that appealing. Strange how close the English words appealing and appalling are when you spell them out.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

..it's going beyond the "Cloud"... the "Heliosphere"!
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

..it all begins with "no cost" (cloud 101 marketing,... because, "free" sounds cheap) ;;
Attachments
nocost.png
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

JSculley wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:15 am I was referring only to the SW2022 Beta. You can download the app like normal, or you can test drive it online in a browser window (Amazon App Stream). I ran the online app mainly to get access to the What's New guide to see if anything big has been added. Spoiler Alert: not really.
Well, I'm a doof! I thought you were talking about the cloud Solidworks, not a trial of the desktop version.

All the trademarkable words used for this stuff. It's like those who don't know what they're talking about like to make up new words for old stuff to get others to join then in not knowing what they are talking about.
Frederick_Law

So they can sell customer the same thing over and over again.
"You want Solidworks? Buy this one.
Doesn't do what you want? You need Solidworks Desktop.
Still no good? Solidworks Connect.
Might as well buy 3DX Solidworks also."
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

We asked for a demo copy to sort out some issues with our online storage provider. They needed to be able to run the software in their environment to test what was going on. DSS gave us a link version of Solidworks running on Amazon. When we said that wouldn't work and need to be able to install it locally they refused. One of the many reasons I will not give DSS another penny of my money, if at all possible.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

SPerman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:34 am We asked for a demo copy to sort out some issues with our online storage provider. They needed to be able to run the software in their environment to test what was going on. DSS gave us a link version of Solidworks running on Amazon. When we said that wouldn't work and need to be able to install it locally they refused. One of the many reasons I will not give DSS another penny of my money, if at all possible.
Are you taking about 2022 beta? You can run it locally or thru there online hosted version (Desktop hosted on Amazon).
Jason
Frederick_Law

SPerman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:34 am We asked for a demo copy to sort out some issues with our online storage provider. They needed to be able to run the software in their environment to test what was going on. DSS gave us a link version of Solidworks running on Amazon. When we said that wouldn't work and need to be able to install it locally they refused. One of the many reasons I will not give DSS another penny of my money, if at all possible.
All SW installer will give 30 days trial. No serial number, login required.
Yes, the 30MB installer we download.
IndianaDave

Unread post by IndianaDave »

hMMMM....

David,
Converge would like to take a few minutes to let our valued SOLIDWORKS customers know about some important global changes coming down the pike from Dassault Systemes effective July 1st, 2023.

SOLIDWORKS ANNOUNCEMENT

If you follow the blog on https://link.edgepilot.com/s/9b4df517/0 ... works.com/, you may already be aware that starting July 1st, any new SOLIDWORKS CAD license will automatically include SOLIDWORKS Cloud Services for collaboration and data management. Please visit this page to explore how your business can benefit from the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform.

In addition, all new perpetual licenses purchased on or after July 1st, 2023, will require two years of subscription at the time of initial purchase.

These global changes are detailed in this blog post from Gian Paolo Bassi, Executive Vice President of 3DEXPERIENCE Works, and will apply to all new SOLIDWORKS license purchases. Please be assured that your existing licenses on active subscriptions that were purchased prior to July 1st, 2023, will not be impacted.

LAST CHANCE TO BUY THE "OLD WAY"

Change is good, and while Converge believes these changes offer a value-add to the existing product offering, we do understand that some of our customers may be interested in purchasing SOLIDWORKS under the current business rules prior to July 1st.

Let Converge help you figure out how the changes taking effect July 1 will affect your business - perhaps we can offset the impact with one of our current offers.
• 40% off SOLIDWORKS Pro or Premium with purchase of 2 yrs of subscription
• Buy SOLIDWORKS and get 25% off a multi-product purchase
• Buy SOLIDWORKS Term License and get 50% off a 2nd Term License
Head on over to our promotions page and act fast because these offers expire soon.

Of course, do not hesitate to respond back to me directly if you have questions regarding any part of these upcoming changes.
Peter De Vlieger

Unread post by Peter De Vlieger »

Comes down to the following.

GIVE US ALL THE MONEY NOW ! or GIVES US EVEN MORE MONEY LATER !
Either way you WILL pay for things that barely work and which hardly anyone even needs or wants.

Let's be honest here, most of the 'collaboration' tools are a nifty idea but an idea that most small and medium sized companies have absolutely no need for. So unless you are working for some fortune 500 company you don't have departments in a different city, state or country that need to give their input. To me it's akin to forcing your clients to all buy a 4x4 while the vast majority of the customers just need something to commute from the suburb to the nearest city center.

Relying on Solidworks to keep your data safe and available 24/7 online without it causing issues in your design work is as far as I'm concerned believing in that shady guy in the pub that tries to sell you a bridge. I know of free to play games that face way more technical challenges (e.g. having a program that works on different platforms, hardware (PC's as well as consoles from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo), completely different OS's and let's all the users , no matter what platform, interact and play with each other) have a far better responds time to issues and having a far superior quality control then this supposedly professional program that every year finds new ways to siphon clients money to their bank account while offering AMAZING new features that at the best of times barely does what it's supposed to do and even if it does... chances are it will be broken in the next release.
Frederick_Law

Air Force Boss Gives Reality Check On “Over-Hyped” Digital Engineering Revolution
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/a ... revolution
tsmith

Unread post by tsmith »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:56 am Air Force Boss Gives Reality Check On “Over-Hyped” Digital Engineering Revolution
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/a ... revolution
And he could not be more correct.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

SW has serious compatibility issues from one release to another. Imagine a terabyte archive inside a PDM full of versions, workflows and macros with a train wreck of bugs, having to migrate on a novel untested platform.... let's add two kernels (parasolid from siemens and acis from dss) that afaik are not interchangeables (ztg not allowed in the former and probably many more?).
data conversion will be a nightmare for complex models that are already performing poorly inside SW alone.

Then let me say if you move also all the workstations on the same cloud as the data with at LEAST the SAME PERFORMANCE as the local machines for a LOWER COST it COULD make SOME sense.
But we know the real world is quite hard and with DS we should expect a suboptimal outcome...so when my company will have to spend big $ and Invest a lot of time, my engineers find hundreds of those "suboptimal" files or broken versions inside our PDM vault: who is gonna pay and take the responsibility? and PAY?
Because I do not think DS would spend a lot of effort in a data migration like you are offered when buying a new CAD-PDM package. My var is not able to put their hands in the software to solve my daily dose of issues let alone migrate 1TB of data flawlessy on a platform they have no experience and FREE of CHARGE.
No way We are going to pay more for their choice after paying a premium after another every year for this mess.

sorry for venting, but the way they announced this 3dx thing out of the blue, show us how out of control the decision makers are over there.

manufacturing companies need stability to manage their legacy data and future strategies.
hope at last siemens will help us.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

mp3-250 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:30 am SW has serious compatibility issues from one release to another. Imagine a terabyte archive inside a PDM full of versions, workflows and macros with a train wreck of bugs, having to migrate on a novel untested platform.... let's add two kernels (parasolid from siemens and acis from dss) that afaik are not interchangeables (ztg not allowed in the former and probably many more?).
data conversion will be a nightmare for complex models that are already performing poorly inside SW alone.

Then let me say if you move also all the workstations on the same cloud as the data with at LEAST the SAME PERFORMANCE as the local machines for a LOWER COST it COULD make SOME sense.
But we know the real world is quite hard and with DS we should expect a suboptimal outcome...so when my company will have to spend big $ and Invest a lot of time, my engineers find hundreds of those "suboptimal" files or broken versions inside our PDM vault: who is gonna pay and take the responsibility? and PAY?
Because I do not think DS would spend a lot of effort in a data migration like you are offered when buying a new CAD-PDM package. My var is not able to put their hands in the software to solve my daily dose of issues let alone migrate 1TB of data flawlessy on a platform they have no experience and FREE of CHARGE.
No way We are going to pay more for their choice after paying a premium after another every year for this mess.

sorry for venting, but the way they announced this 3dx thing out of the blue, show us how out of control the decision makers are over there.

manufacturing companies need stability to manage their legacy data and future strategies.
hope at last siemens will help us.
@mp3-250, Damn dude. You have just painted a seriously nightmare scenario for large companies. I cannot even get my head around the trouble this could cause to the ACTUAL (existing customers) companies that DSS is likely marketing this all for.. (We are only a single seat bespoke manufacturer)
True tho I suppose, DSS doesnt actually care much about their existing customers. This whole cloud farce is their directional push to new customers, promoting "gig" style employment mentality and systems based on buzzwords.. :roll:
Older/existing customers either catch on, or fall by the way. No fuss to DSS. After all, we have perpetual licenses and only pay subs begrudginly to VAR's usually only to help debug issues with constant updates and workarounds for broken features..

I am unimpressed..
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I spoke with my VAR the other day. They said 3D experience SW is actually aimed at small companies without a PDM system
and SW PDM should stay until its cloud version catch up feature wise.
The current "cloud PDM " 3D experience is nowhere close to SW PDM and short term migration is unlikely.

Our new licenses will enable by default part of our users to share data on the 3dX cloud, I asked them:

- the size of the online shared space included in the current licensing
- what control we have over our engineers uploading and sharing data outside the company via 3dx and if it could be locked by us without asking DS
AlexLachance

mp3-250 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:10 pm I spoke with my VAR the other day. They said 3D experience SW is actually aimed at small companies without a PDM system
and SW PDM should stay until its cloud version catch up feature wise.
The current "cloud PDM " 3D experience is nowhere close to SW PDM and short term migration is unlikely.

Our new licenses will enable by default part of our users to share data on the 3dX cloud, I asked them:

- the size of the online shared space included in the current licensing
- what control we have over our engineers uploading and sharing data outside the company via 3dx and if it could be locked by us without asking DS
Yeaaah, don't take that too much for granted.
Ryan-3DS

Unread post by Ryan-3DS »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:23 am Yeaaah, don't take that too much for granted.
That can be said for any PDM or PLM system. This isn't a DS only issue.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

imho,... PDM/PLM is like signing everyone up to visit the DMV everyday.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

if it was for me, we would begin the migration to another PDM asap.
it is like a slow and painful death to be dragged on the bottom of a swamp.

ps I am unable to find my own posts on the platform most of the tIme.
my var is also trying to blame my web browser as my admin role was migrated, but not in the english translation of the new admin portal apparently and the cad dashboard refuses to load as it seems is only available in english, but my english profile says I am not an admin, but if I switch in japanese I become admIn again so... THE PROBLEM IS YOU TRYING TO USE THIS SOFTWARE, this site, this platform or whatever... just pay and shut up.you will be happy
AlexLachance

mp3-250 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:52 am just pay and shut up.you will be happy
Now you're getting it! hhhh
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

imagine the 3d cad and pdm are just tools to make our machinery...
Ryan-3DS

Unread post by Ryan-3DS »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:12 am I believe Dassault is working toward moving away from the desktop version of SW, and toward something where the software and files will be 100% online. What that something will be is anyone's guess.

Unless something fundamentally changes then when that happens I expect a mass exodus to another software.
There is a LOT of misinformation out there and it is generally caused by people not understanding the terms/words they are using. Can you define what you mean by "online"?