How do you keep track of your tasks (works)?

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
Ömür Tokman
Answers: 1

How do you keep track of your tasks (works)?

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

I tried many apps to keep track of my tasks.
google Kanbanchi, MS To Do, Kanban Tasker, etc.
Now I drag and drop the mails from otlook into a folder, I send the ones I sent to production to the done folder, and the ones that are waiting for approval to the pending folder. For now this is a more practical solution for me.
So how are you doing?
2021-06-30_15-18-35.png
2021-06-30_15-19-42.png
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: How do you keep track of your tasks (works)?

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I ask people to send me whatever tasks they have through mail, so that I can flag them as tasks and check them when they are done.
We also have Bi-weekly meetings where we speak of what we're working on, what's coming up and more, so that somewhat helps on the planning too.
On Fridays, in the last hour, I close everything and do my planning for next week. I use an Excel file which I built so that I can use it in a similar fashion as I would use word. I list all my upcoming tasks in that file and then classify them in 4 different classes, which then somewhat dictates how things will be handled. This image sums it up rather well.
image.png

I also update this file throughout the week as tasks come and go so that it is updated at all times. This helps for all those things that do not come in through mail.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

I used to use post it notes. Digital post it's.

Then I just started using a white board with priorities numbered. that's always there and everyone can see it.

I know people who use One Note and Google calendar or Outlook.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I tried keeping a spreadsheet a few times, but never kept up with any of them. A couple years ago I set up a folder for each project in Outlook. When an email needs my attention (and I tell the engineers to email me all the information I need for projects; if they don't it didn't happen). When I get an email that needs my attention I leave it in my Inbox until I address it, and when I've taken care of it and it's waiting on someone else I move it to its folder. When I want to check the status of a project I check the most recent emails in its folder.

It's working pretty well for me. It's simple. I like simple.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Ömür Tokman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:22 am I tried many apps to keep track of my tasks.
google Kanbanchi, MS To Do, Kanban Tasker, etc.
Now I drag and drop the mails from otlook into a folder, I send the ones I sent to production to the done folder, and the ones that are waiting for approval to the pending folder. For now this is a more practical solution for me.
So how are you doing?
2021-06-30_15-18-35.png
2021-06-30_15-19-42.png
A company I worked for used https://www.liquidplanner.com/pricing/ and I thought the tool was very nice...despite how it was being implemented at that company being not the greatest. We used it for project planning, time tracking etc. The problem came in when it became essentially a time clock and became too granular. I'd spend an hour or more a day entering all the task, tracking time, checking off what I got done....which wasn't much because I was spending all my time entering task and planning o[

That being said I think if used truly as a planner and task tracker it's an excellent tool.

It's essentially a combination of MS projects and a KanBan Board. I didn't know they had a free version, although 3 projects will be nowhere near enough I might look into it.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

[quoteI'd spend an hour or more a day entering all the task, tracking time, checking off what I got done....which wasn't much because I was spending all my time entering task and planning ][/quote]

LOL been there done that. We used 15 minutes slots. So in the end I get overtime for 8 hours of my time LOL
Sometime I save some for tomorrow.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:06 pm [quoteI'd spend an hour or more a day entering all the task, tracking time, checking off what I got done....which wasn't much because I was spending all my time entering task and planning ]
LOL been there done that. We used 15 minutes slots. So in the end I get overtime for 8 hours of my time LOL
Sometime I save some for tomorrow.
[/quote]

I bet on average when working there in an eight hour day I worked maybe four. Between the endless meetings about planning, meetings about planning meetings about planning, then planning and creating all the plans there was no time to work. So instead of working a typical eight hour day you had to work 12 to get in eight hours of work when you really need to get 14hrs of work a day to stay ahead of the income S%*@ show.

More than a couple times in my rather short time there I had 80+ hours a week in for multiple weeks in a row...which is the main reason I no longer work there :D
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

My Outlook inbox is my to-do list. No to-do items are either automatically sorted to folders or I move them there. Time sensitive emails I right click and set a Follow up (reminder).

I've tried Excel and even Outlook tasks but generally forget about them thru the day. I'm always in my inbox so it's a consistent reminder and I have the phone app as well.
Jason
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Most of the time i just flagged the task in outlook (if the task is a request from other)

If my project use jira, I will normally end up tracking the project task in JIRA (JIRA is another pita software tbh)

For more "long term" task, I will normally track them in my own database in Notion
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Ömür Tokman

We have a saying "mind is better than mind" (two heads are better than one)
The advice and ideas I get from you are methods that I can apply in the near future, if not today.
Thank you all for your contributions.
As far as I understand, people learn by experiencing the method that is practical for them.
I can't get used to outlook.
*applications have their advantages, but it takes time to enter data. As Glenn said "but never kept up with any of them"
*excel frankly, I don't think at all.

My method for now is the same.

*Txt file for verbally requested tasks. if you need details write it in txt.
*Drag and drop emails.
*by order that comes with usb. folders with plus icon.
*Drag and drop the finished works to the finished folder.
*Drag and drop ongoing jobs to the pending folder.
2021-07-01_18-42-00.png
The topic is not closed, I am always open to new ideas.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Ömür Tokman wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:48 am We have a saying "mind is better than mind" (two heads are better than one)
The advice and ideas I get from you are methods that I can apply in the near future, if not today.
Thank you all for your contributions.
As far as I understand, people learn by experiencing the method that is practical for them.
I can't get used to outlook.
*applications have their advantages, but it takes time to enter data. As Glenn said "but never kept up with any of them"
*excel frankly, I don't think at all.

My method for now is the same.

*Txt file for verbally requested tasks. if you need details write it in txt.
*Drag and drop emails.
*by order that comes with usb. folders with plus icon.
*Drag and drop the finished works to the finished folder.
*Drag and drop ongoing jobs to the pending folder.
2021-07-01_18-42-00.png

The topic is not closed, I am always open to new ideas.
I think you also have to look at what the "Tasks" are and apply a system that is most effective and efficient. Keeping track of tasks for yourself that are generally independent from others is entirely different keeping track of your tasks that are inter-dependent with other which is entirely different than managing a project with multiple people doing multiple tasks inter-dependently.
Ömür Tokman

MJuric wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:53 am I think you also have to look at what the "Tasks" are and apply a system that is most effective and efficient. Keeping track of tasks for yourself that are generally independent from others is entirely different keeping track of your tasks that are inter-dependent with other which is entirely different than managing a project with multiple people doing multiple tasks inter-dependently.
yes, mostly my tasks are just my business, for a collaborative project I don't need to list or take notes so I just try to find a method for myself.
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

Entirely in retrospect. Planning is for those with agency.

I hold multiple positions, so I categorize tasks both by IT or design, as well as applicable project. For any verbal task (lasting over 5 minutes) brought to my desk, I require an email sent, even merely referencing the discussion without additional written detail. Then, when my task is completed, I reply to notify them it is done. So, as others have also said, I use emails as both a to-do list, and a time tracker for reconstruction of the past to create time sheets.

I also use a general catch all of 15 minutes of troubleshooting per day, regardless of tasks. I generally assume someone will ask something at some time, and it won't take very long to show them what they need to click, or whatever. I don't even track those unless it surpasses 15 minutes.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

...you reminded me about looking for something which I recall using.. it was a gantt to do list.... like this one.
https://www.officetimeline.com/gantt-ch ... to-do-list
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Ömür Tokman

zxys001 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:02 am ...you reminded me about looking for something which I recall using.. it was a gantt to do list.... like this one.
https://www.officetimeline.com/gantt-ch ... to-do-list
I have a similar list, I designed it 5 years ago as it is an iso quality method requirement and it has been used in our projects for 5 years. I send the image of this plan to the customer in long-term business. By the way, I should remember that the company I work for does not produce its own products, that is, we do not produce mass-produced products. we are a subcontractor company, we produce works from customers. Our production plan changes many times during the day depending on the situation of the customers.
It's a paid software, I don't think. If I tell this to the boss, there is only one scenario.

Me: Boss we need to buy a program to list jobs. oa
Boss: Get pen and paper. :mrgreen:

It is useful for long-term works, but I need a practical method for daily and maximum 1 week works.
Example: The boss says, "Let's paint the product of firm A at 2 o'clock" as he passes by my room. I can't tell the boss please notify me via e-mail. :)
2021-07-02_08-59-10.png
2021-07-02_08-59-25.png
2021-07-02_08-59-43.png
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

Kewl, omur!

agree,.. so, maybe a hourly one?
https://www.officetimeline.com/gantt-ch ... urly-gantt
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

oh, btw, there is also the MS to do list.. (you may like it?)
Attachments
todolist.png
Ömür Tokman

zxys001 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:09 am oh, btw, there is also the MS to do list.. (you may like it?)
Thanks for the reminder Paul I knew but I hadn't looked into it in detail.
khaoskosmos
Answers: 0

Unread post by khaoskosmos »

I've had success using ClickUp in the past. They've grown quite a bit since then, and lost a lot of focus on bugfixes and usability (seems to be a common theme).